“Good value transit station”

Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn
Ranked #49 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ottawa, Canada
“Good value transit station”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed here for the day before a cruise leaving from the nearby port. Its proximity to the airport and cruise port make it an ideal location in one respect but also limits its appeal as this is not an ideal area to walk.

However, it is good value for stopovers. Restaurant and bar staff make the extra effort, but hotel management staff should try a little harder - maybe even create an information kit for cruisers with common questions (shuttle, local grocery and liquor store, nearby sites). Room was good and there is a small pool with a pleasant sitting area.

Room Tip: Try to get one near stairs as elevators can be quite slow during peak periods.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thanks for your review, Martha. I think I recall talking to you about Ottawa - telling you how I remember the tulips in the spring. I'm not sure what restaurant and bar you are referring to because we have neither - I'm going to assume you are referring to our Breakfast Room. We do give our guests a list of restaurants in the area and then will suggest shopping places based on what our guests are looking for. Again, thanks for the nice comments and I hope you'll be back to see us soon.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Exton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Comfort Suites for the first time. We have been coming to Fort Lauderdale every winter to get away from the cold Pennsylvania Winter. We have stayed at some high end places, but decided to give the Comfort a try to save some money as my husband is now retired and we wanted to try and save some money.

This place has a lot to offer. It is conviently located minutes from the Airport and beaches. There is a 24hr CVS right next door in case you forgot to bring something. There is a Taco Bell right next door and several other places to eat across the street. You also save money because there is FREE Parking at this Comfort Suites (most hotels in Fort Lauderdale charge between $20 and$30 per night, Just to Park your car!! You also benefit from getting a free hot breakfast, which includes scrambled eggs, two breakfast meats, hot waffles, cererals, yougurts, fresh fruit bagels and danish!!

The best thing about this hotel is the Director of Sales and Marketing, Ellen Serra!! She is a sweet heart who goes out of her way to insure that you are happy with your stay. We had a minor hitch when we first got to the hotel and Ellen Serra immediately took care of us to make sure we were happy!! She makes you feel like you are part of her family. If you have any problems, make sure you ask for her and you will be very happy with the results. She definately made us feel special and we will definately want to come back down to stay at the Comfort Suites Airport on our next trip down to Fort Lauderdale!!! Thank You again Ellen!!

The staff at the front desk are very helpful, smiling and efficient and willing to help you with any issue you may have.

I want to give a special Thank You to Catherine who takes care of the Breakfast Area. She is the sweetest, kindest person. She always asks anyone if they would like anything else or would like to make a waffle, even after the 9:30am breakfast closing time. SHE IS THE BEST AND SHOULD BE APPRECIATED BY MANAGEMENT. She is the kind of employee who goes the extra mile to ensure that guests are fed and happy before they go out for the day. And that kind of special treatment of guests make you want to come back to visit this wonderful hotel.

I also would like to mention that the hotel was very clean. They just re-did the hotel with all new bedding, furniture, carpeting and pain. Very nicely done in tropical colors in a retro style.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room near the parking lot. The front of the hotel can be a little noisy, bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ang S
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Oh my goodness, Angela. Thank you so much for this. I enjoyed meeting both of you and I am so glad I was able to help make your stay enjoyable. This review is just wonderful and we all appreciate it so much. You put a lot of time and thought into it. I am humbled by your compliment - truly. I have printed the review and it's posted for all of our employees to see. We have a wonderful hotel and our staff is friendly and helpful. I'm so glad you had a chance to experience it all. Please come back to see us.
newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

This suite hotel did not disappoint.We arrived after arranging transfers from Miami IA with the company based at the hotel,75$.Check in was very efficient and friendly and we were allocated a room at the rear on a high floor,this is preferable as it is quieter than at the front.
The room was fine as was the breakfast,fairly basic but good enough for a couple of days.
The location is excellent for transfer to the port,which costs 6$ pp,and only takes a few minutes.
If you want a location for a longer stay in Fort Lauderdale one nearer the centre would be better as it is at least a 30 minute walk to the water taxi or a car or taxi to the shops beach etc.

Room Tip: High room at Back
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shakeyw
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thanks for your nice review. You are correct - we provide nice clean rooms, a decent breakfast - everything from eggs and meat to "make-your-own" waffles. We have yoghurt and fruit for those looking for a more healthy breakfast. There are many shops and restaurants just a block from the hotel and even more if you go a little further. I hope you'll come back to see us again.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Great staff, keep up the outstanding job... from Nicky, Tito to the night auditor and all the front desk staff thanks so much for helping me when I lost my passport! A special thanks to Ellen Serra who was so friendly and helpful in my hour of need! Dave

Room Tip: A clock in the Lobby would be nice and a Scale in the fitness center would be great!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank DavidH6040
Hi Dave - it really was a pleasure meeting you and I'm so happy we were able to help find your passport. The entire staff thanks you for your kind comments. Be sure to tell all your friends in the DR to stay here when they come up to Fort Lauderdale. Please come back to visit soon. Contact me, personally, to make your next reservation.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

My daughter and I stayed here both pre and post cruise (Jan. 18 & 27) Our pre-cruise experience was wonderful and Jessica is certainly an asset to this hotel... she goes above & beyond to be helpful!! That being said, it was all down-hill on the return...

After disembarking our ship at 7:00 am, taking a taxi to the hotel, waiting to check into our room, it had been a very long day. When we were able to check into our room, we just wanted to totally unwind. We went to sit out by the pool for relaxation. After ordering a pizza in our room later, we proceeded to get ready for bed... I thought a nice, hot bath was in order so I prepared my bath, only to find out that the water was yellow!! I thought perhaps there might be some rust in the pipes, so I ran another tub full of water... but with the same result. I called down to the desk and the employee, Tito, said "oh, okay I'll report it to Maintenance"... after trying one more time to fill the tub with water with the same results, I phoned the desk once more and Tito said "I already have a report filled out for Maintenance". There was never an apology or the offer of another room.
I then asked for a wake-up call for 6:00 a.m.... that never happened either! I thought perhaps I could talk to the manager in the morning before we left on the 7:00 a.m. shuttle to the airport, but we were running late because of no wake-up call.
When I returned home I called the hotel to get the manager's name and asked to speak to her. She was not there at the time. I proceeded to leave 3 messages on different days and never had a return call. Finally, the next time I called, I was able to speak to her. Her response was "well, they've been doing some pipeline work nearby, so that's probably why the water is yellow." And then she said "you probably wouldn't have noticed it if you took a shower." Say what...?? Why didn't someone tell me there was an issue with the water when I checked in and then I would have made the decision if I wanted to stay there.
I am also a Choice Privileges member and that information was given to them at the time my reservation was booked, but lo & behold, for some reason, that information never showed up on my reservation either.
Perhaps because they are so busy with cruise ship passengers, they don't pay attention to detail and don't really seem to care about the comfort of their clientele... and perhaps some of the employees need a "refresher course" on common courtesy... sad
I will NOT be staying here again...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank njoylif2
Thank you for your review. The “issue” with the water is something that all properties east of US 1 in Fort Lauderdale have to deal with. According to the City, the water is actually safe because it is treated. Because of our proximity to the beach and salt water, they have to treat the water differently. You are welcome to contact the City of Fort Lauderdale for more specific details on this.
Apparently your room on January 18th was fine so I wish you had called the front desk on the 27th and we could have moved you if you wanted a different room. We're sorry about the wake up call .
We do pay attention to details and we do care about the comfort of our guests. Your stay on the 18th was apparently a good example of that.
I’m sorry that you were not happy after your cruise but I assure you that your pre-cruise stay is the usual at this hotel.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed here one night on a last minute business trip. This hotel caters to the cruise ship crowd. I think they charge a premium for their proximity to the dock, since the room was priced about 30% more than the full-service Hilton, which unfortunately was sold out.

I caught the shuttle from the airport, which only runs on the hour, so you might have a long wait if that's your only option. I arrived to find the 250lb, angry, cross-eyed gimp at the counter arguing with her coworker over how something was entered in the computer system. I finally had to interrupt them and tell them to finish their argument after they check me in. I then inquired about transportation in the morning to a business located on the airport, but not at the terminal. Confusion and pandemonium ensued as nobody seemed to comprehend my request. I was finally directly to the shuttle bus driver who assured me this would not be a problem, however I ended up being charged $10 since I wasn't dropped at the terminal.

The room was functional, but that's about it. The mattress was saggy. The a/c, in spite of it's noise, couldn't drown out the traffic noise on the major highway below, nor could it adequately cool the room (it was only 70F outside). The ironing board cover was falling off and stained. In spite of being in a "Suite" there was no microwave or mini fridge. The lighting was pitifully dim (probably not a bad thing).

Since I had a long day and had to catch the shuttle at the top of the hour, I got up early to get breakfast. Bad idea. The breakfast area was overrun by cruise ship passengers. You would have thought they'd never seen a complimentary continental buffet. Better load up on highly processed carbs before parking your fat @ss on the floating buffet for a week. I had to fight my way through the crowd for a cup of luke warm coffee and then it was time to leave.

Next time I'll sleep in the lobby of the Hilton.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PilotMikeTx
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Yes, we do cater to the cruise ship crowd because of our great location less than a mile from the entrance to Port Everglades. However, we also have a large corporate market because we are conveniently located near downtown and many marine industry businesses.

Our shuttle from the airport runs “on demand” so when you call, we dispatch the driver. However, for your return to the airport it operates on the hour and there is a sign-up sheet at the Front Desk. We are contracted with a shuttle company and the only services they provide on a complimentary basis are shuttle to and from the airport terminal . They do charge for any other locations.

I will not address your description of our long-time valued staff member. However, we have talked to her about how she behaves at the front desk.

I would like you to tell me what room you were in because all of our rooms have a refrigerator and a microwave. It is possible that you did not open the cabinet doors to your credenza because that’s where they are.

I will also not address your description of our valued guests. We provide a full hot breakfast buffet daily and our guests are all welcome to enjoy it.

If you would like to e-mail me with your name and the room number you stayed in, I will follow up with our Maintenance Department.

Ellen Serra
Director of Sales & Marketing.
Pacific, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before leaving on a cruise. The room was very nice....the only complaint we had was the shuttle service that was provided to pick us up at the airport and take us to the hotel. We called like they told us to and waited.....after 2 more calls and a wait of 1 hour the shuttle bus finally came!! Don't know what was going on that night or if it's always like that but that was very frustrating. Fortunately we weren't on a time crunch.....but we were tired and hungary. Eventually it all worked out ok and our cruise was great.....we liked being 10 minutes from the pier and the shuttle service in the morning to the ship was much better.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank smeilers
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you waited so long for the shuttle. During Cruise Season it seems that many people arrive at the same time and our drivers do the best they can to get everyone to the hotel in a timely manner. Sometimes it's difficult. You are right in saying that we are a nice hotel to stay at before a cruise and I'm glad that your stay was enjoyable. I hope you'll come back again.