“nice surprise”

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East
Ranked #46 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Upon my arrival I thought I made a mistake. was not impressed with area, part residential, part commercial. But the employees made me feel very at ease. The lady who checked us in was unbelievably helpful and nice. She went above and beyond what most people do. Gave us a ground floor room, facing the pool. This was great, able to walk right out and jump in. Rooms were very spacious , with comfortable beds. My only recommondation would be having microwave in room. Water pressure in shower was fantastic. Have not found that, at hotels I have stayed. overall I think I made the right choice.

Room Tip: Ground floor , pool side would be my choice again
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christopher209

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East is perfect if you want easy access to Holy Cross Hospital or have business in the North Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. The reception area is being renovated - a fact that we were made aware of when we booked and a temporary reception area was set up in the breakfast room next to the pool. The rooms were large and clean, the beds comfortable, the WIFI connection excellent through ibahn, and the price was very reasonable when compared to other similar properties. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to Holy Cross.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I should have compared before I booked through Expedia. I know. Yet I have a difficult time not putting most of the blame on Expedia. How can they justify charging me more than $100 more for a three-night stay than if I had booked directly through the hotel. Plus, I failed to get any Marriott Reward points by booking with Expedia. My advice: Never use Expedia. It's a giant rip-off. Book directly through the hotel. They will always meet any advertised rate on Expedia. Now, as far as the hotel goes, it was under rennovation during our stay. The first night we had a room with a musty smell, old carpeting and a lot of noise in the hallway at 1 a.m. Next morning I complained and received a newly remodeled room on the fourth floor. Overall, it was very nice. However, none of the rooms with balconies seemed to have chairs to sit on. Plus the breakfast was very plain. My wife and I ended up eating breakfast at a nearby restaurant. We would probably return if we could be guaranteed a remodeled room at the rate quoted by the hotel. I will never again use Expedia!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly remodeled room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The restaurant of the hotel is under renovation which I was not made aware of prior to arriving. So i had o drive off places just to get food. The roads that are around the hotel are extremely busy. You put your life into the hands of your higher power just driving out of the parking lot. They did offer breakfast though in a little make shift dining hall but that was over priced. They did keep the area clean which is why they get two stars. There is no indoor pool and the one they have outside is really small. Their exercise area is also really tiny. I spent 3 nights and spent about 400 dollars there. It would have been ok if they charged me $250 and offered free breakfast. Their service was lacking too,. No one offered to help take my bags to the room, although they did always have someone at the front desk 24 -7. The workers always made a lot of noise so it was often hard to sleep as I continually heard them talking and laughing down the hall. There was also no room service so they can drop off food that you may have ordered from outside the hotel. Which brings up a safety concern. As I saw people letting in the pizza guy to drop food off at one of the rooms. This should have been brought to the front desk and a hotel worker should have taken the food up. Whose to say it wasn't a guy pretending to Be a pizza man?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Morpine88
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Morpine88,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry your expectations were not met during your stay in Fort Lauderdale. In an effort to ensure all our guests are aware of our hotel revitalization we have posted notices on all reservation channels, including the 1-800-Marriott and our Marriott.com site. In addition, I personally email all our guests prior to arriving to share the latest updates on the renovation plans. I am sorry somehow we were not able to communicate with you. During our renovation phase we chose to provide our guests with the added amenity of a complimentary continental breakfast in our meeting room overlooking the pool, therefore I am perplexed by the statement that the breakfast was “overpriced”. If you were charged for this continental breakfast, please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I can investigate further since this should have not happened.

As a select service hotel, we do not have a Bell Staff to handle our guest’s luggage, but upon request, we gladly have our house person assist. I apologize we were not proactive in anticipating your needs. Thank you for your feedback on worker activity in the halls. I am sorry we failed to provide a restful atmosphere conducive for rest and relaxation. I will re-address this with our team.

Room service is an amenity offered at Full Service hotels, and normally not offered at Courtyard’s, even though some do, which is where it can get quite confusing. When our guests order food, such as pizza, for example, the delivery person arrives at the front desk. We then call the room to ensure this is correct and the guest has a choice to either come to the front desk to pick it up, or, for our guest’s convenience, it can be delivered right to their room. For our guests’ security, no delivery person is allowed into the building, unless the guest confirms they indeed ordered from this company.

Thank you for complimenting our cleanliness! We hope that your next stay in Fort Lauderdale is an enjoyable one!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I recently stayed here and although the lobby seemed clean and service was ok, the carpet in the room was extremely dirty. It was not worth the price I paid. I expected better as I've stayed at many Courtyard Marriotts in the past.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Samngie G,

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry we failed you. We are currently under a complete renovation that will include not only a brand new lobby concept, but a total revamp of our room layout, custom finishes and luxurious bathrooms. We hope you find it in your heart to give us another chance during your next stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

It was our initial intention to find a hotel closer to the cruise port but opted on this hotel for 2 nights based on price; our options were limited given the fact that it was March break. Because this place was further from the airport and downtown core, it did mean a higher cab fare getting here. Nearby 'night life / entertainment' is also restricted...if you are hoping to walk to your destination. Many reviews we read prepared us for a hotel that would be less than desirable; however we were pleasantly surprised. Staff was very friendly, our room was very clean, and the facilities (pool, restaurant, front foyer / lounge area) were all great. The buffet breakfast was good value. The hotel did provide 'free' shuttle service to the beach located about one mile away, although we did walk back with no problems. The ONLY downside for this hotel is the location; otherwise I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room / balcony was facing the pool, and noise was not an issue. We did enjoy our room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed on March 8th, a day before our cruise. We stayed in the refinished building overlooking the pool. What a nice view. The room was beautiful. The staff even better. The hotel had a shuttle that took us down to the beach and a restaurant called Aruba, which was right on the beach, that we really liked. We gave them a call and they came promptly to pick us up. Our driver was great and even stopped for us on the way back so we could purchase water and wine for our cruise. He made the trip fun. Kudos to the staff! They had fresh cookies in the evening and fresh coffee and green apples that were complimentary in the morning. They did have a breakfast buffet for purchase for $10. I don't know what I was expecting. I was afraid it was in a bad area, but it was not at all. It was actually very nice. I would definitely stay again. We also had rented a car, and the free parking was a plus as well.

Room Tip: choose a room in the refinished building overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank peacefulwaves

Dear travelingforsanity,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your time in Fort Lauderdale and in our Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East. I’ve shared your compliments with the staff, which is always a great way to motivate them!

Thank you again! We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you in the near future!

Warmest regards,