“Avoid Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach”

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Orlando, Florida
“Avoid Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I've been a loyal Marriott customer for 15 years and am quitting them permanently due to the staff at this place - AVOID at all costs. Ft. Lauderdale is loaded with great beach hotels, look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank stumc75
CourtyardFtLauderdal, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
We are concerned that your experience with service caused such a strong reaction. If there was anything that we could have been done to improve your stay, or if there was anything that we may have addressed for you, we would have been happy to help. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I just returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel. I do not understand some of the negative comments here, but here is my take on this stay.

I needed a getaway and stayed at this hotel. I was able to call them direct and book a room facing the Coast for $99 per night I also informed them that altough the check in time was 4pm I was anticipating an early arrival in the morning. No hotel is obligated to accomodate you with these requests, since it is a hotel business they have to run. To my surpise, upon arrival, they offered me a suite with king size bed that was ready for the same price. I was happy to unpack my stuff at 11:30 am. The only problem I had with the room was it was close to the elevator and heard the noisy hotel guests more than I needed to. The next morning, I asked the front desk very nicely if there was a way they can change my room to another section not close to the elevator, and they tried to do so and offered me an even better room facing the ocean at no extra charge. I know the ocean view rooms are higher priced, but I was delighted to move my stuff for a better view. Here are the pros and cons on this hotel.
Being a Marriott Rewards member has also many advantages, sign up it is free.

Pros: Location is fantastic, very clean, acorss from the beach, close to many restaurants and souvenir shops, and barts coffee shop fabulous for a quick and inexpensive outdoor breakfast, smoothies, lunch and light dinner, nice pool bar for drinks and light lunches or snacks, small refrigerator in the room. (no mini bar) but the 7 Eleven across the street, sells liquor. You can find liquor, water, and snacks to stack your small refrigerator at souvenir shops even the CVS a few blocks down. Hotel is located 5 miles from the airport. The taxis from the airport might cost you up to $20 one way, if you get a driver that likes driving around for the extra fare since it is metered.
By the seaside you can also take a troley, or bus to the shopping centers and exploring very inexpensive way to travel if you do not have a car.
This location of the hotel is perfect for beach lovers, runners, walkers, bikers, swimmers, and rollerblading and most definitely people watching or people that just want to relax and enjoy life by the beach front. Very safe to walk around at night, but use your judgement.
Hotel attracts not just business people, but families, friends, couples, and solo travelers will not feel out of place here plenty to do without renting a car.
Hotel serves free coffee and tea in the morning the restaurant for those who do not like to eat breakfast, or perhaps pick up breakfast from barts coffee shop a few steps down.
Bubba Gump is a must for all you seafood lovers...heard someone complain that their salad was not good...really you don't go to a seafood restaurant to order lettuce with dressing. :(
Hotel has a Pool for those who don't like sand in their toes or families with children who prefer to watch their children close to the pool.
Free internet in your room. Also free internet and computer use in the Mezzanine area. Was able to log in to the airlines and print my boarding pass through their airlines direct service.

Cons: Restaurant in the hotel a little pricey like every big hotel. Better choices at the surrouding restaurants and most provide take out. Forget about room service, unless you are so lazy you can't walk down the few steps and around few steps to pick up better lunch and dinner or snacks.in room. The Italian Restaurant will even let you take a pizza...Shops and restaurants stay open until 10 pm.
Get your towels at the Pool early for your day. Hotel does not provide free service for beach chairs and umbrellas. The cost I was given was $20 per day on the beach, this service is run by an independent co not the hotel. You can also rent a beach chair for $10 a day without the umbrella...You can get beach chairs and umbrellas at the souvenir shops or at CVS for $10 and leave it behind when you leave. Or take your beach towel and hang out at the beach for a few hours. Summer is hot so you won't be able to spend an entire day on the beach anyway. Personal preferences of course.
If you park your car at the hotel it can get expensive can run up to $20 per day. A few steps down from the hotel is a $7 all day parking lot. Or you can skip the car rental and use taxis or walking as your transportation.

Overall my experience with this hotel was very pleasant. Don't be rude or nasty. If you are nice and they are able to accommodate you they will. This is a hotel, (12 floors) and tries to accomodate everyone, not your house. Please don't let your children run around in the hallways unattended. Guests are there to relax not put up with kids that are not well behaved. And if so, someone will call the front desk and complain about your misbehaved loud children and you will be asked by security to either leave or be respectful of other hotel guests who might be there on business, or a relaxation trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank fitnessgal
CourtyardFtLauderdal, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for the great review and the kind support. We are so glad that you chose the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach for your getaway. Details are so important and we can see that they matter to you also. It was wonderful to read that our staff was able to accommodate your needs and offer you the service that is expected of Courtyard by Marriott. Thank you for pointing out how convenient our hotel is to the surrounding Fort Lauderdale area. We hope that on your next getaway, you will return to the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach.
USA
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed one night before our cruise. The staff was very friendly and check in was a breeze. You are right on the beach and easy walking to everything we needed for the night. It was a long (30 minute) walk to downtown Ft. Lauderdale.
The rooms were clean and comfortable but nothing special. Overall a great stay with a great location as it was a quick 10 minute ride to the docks.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
CourtyardFtLauderdal, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Thanks for staying with us before your cruise! We are so glad that enjoyed the convenient location and access to the beach. On your next visit, stop by our concierge for the different ways to visit downtown Fort Lauderdale. We hope to welcome you back to the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach soon.
brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stood here for 3 nights the first week of June. After arriving at the hotel at 10pm, it discovered that there was no room in my name. Kerrie at the front desk was quick to call Expedia and rectify the situation for me. Within minutes I was in the elevator on my way to my room. I wasn't fortunate enough to get a corner room with an ocean view, but the room was still nice. The bed was comfy, and there was a separate room with a pull out couch and a second tv. The bathroom was a decent size and the lighting was good (I always have a problem applying my makeup in some of the hotels I've stayed in).

The sun deck and pool are small, but who needs that when the beach is across the street. Literally. All you have to do is leave out the back by the pool. Just be sure to grab a towel from the cart on your way out. We didn't use the pool bar or eat at the hotel so I can't comment on that, although we ate at Bubba Gump downstairs and it wasn't bad.

The hotel is within two blocks of other restaurants and a CVS. The CVS is the only show in town in regards to groceries. It's also a good spot for your souvenirs as the shops on the strip are a rip off.

All in all, I would definitely return to the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank NYL0VE
We’re so pleased that our staff was able to take care of the reservation issue immediately and help create a positive experience for you. It’s great that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel to the beach! Thank you so much for the review and we hope to welcome you back again to the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 May 2011

A regular Courtyard Marriot with a good location right on the beach. Good value for price. Stayed 4 nights.

We found the staff very friendly and helpful. We had the all you can eat breakfast buffet a couple of mornings which was good with a broad selection. Our room was clean and featured floor to ceiling windows which was great for the views, of both the beach, as well as the skyline, since we had a corner room. Room had a fridge as well as an HD flat screen TV. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: be marriot rewards member
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly_TPM
CourtyardFtLauderdal, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
The staff at the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach is always appreciative of the kind acknowledgment of their service, thank you! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet and the views of Fort Lauderdale. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again!
niagarafalls87
Reviewed 29 May 2011

People will always find something to complain about. When going on vacation, they expect everything to be the same as at home. Reality check people, it's a hotel!
We stayed there for the first week of June. The hotel is absolutely amazing! The valets at the front door are extremely friendly and helpful, greeted us with a smile. The poor guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and sweating up a storm in the warm Florida sun. Great job guys!
Front desk agent was a little unfriendly, but since I also work front line customer service in the tourism industry I give them some slack. They (we) are people too, and sometimes they may not feel well, or they are having a bad day, or you're just a horrible customer...so cut them some slack!
The room had a view of the waterway, but it was immaculately clean, and the beds were amazing! I slept like a baby from the first night. The windows were really thick so you couldn't hear a thing from the street or bar below.
The breakfast was amazing!! The omelette station was my favourite! The waiting staff were very efficient, cleaning away used plates and cutlery very quickly.
We just wish there were more places to eat in the area within walking distance, but hey, that's not the hotels fault.
The location was perfect! Right across from the beach which was always clean, and quiet...we were the only people on the beach. One thing the hotel may want to look into is providing its guests with beach chairs and umbrellas.
Overall, amazing hotel, and will be returning again this year! Can't wait!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get oceanview!
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Werner P
Thank you so much for your review! We are so grateful that our guests take the time to leave their comments and suggestions, and coming from someone in the tourism industry we appreciate the feedback! It will be our pleasure to welcome you to the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach again this year, which is the greatest compliment of all.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Just received my credit card statement only to see that the hotel have charged me for something that wasn't invoiced on my check-out statement. I'm at a loss to think of what it is as I didn't use any of their facilities and am disappointed that the hotel did not notify me as to why this extra payment has gone through. I can't find an email address to follow up on this and am wondering how they can get away with this? Surely a hotel of this standard whould have a contact email address for their overseas guests.

The hotel was average but overpriced. Housekeeping did not follow up on any of my requests. I'll be avoiding this hotel in the future and advising my colleagues to do so as well.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business