“This Embassy far below others”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #38 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was ok. Staff was mostly pleasant, even though the person that checked me in obviously did not listen to anything I said. I asked for a quiet room and was put on the backside of the hotel, away from traffic noise, but right in front of the elevator. I added the other names on my room and they were never put on at checking causing a problem later down the road. The breakfast was the usual Embassy Suites, so it's good. These were the two things that saved the review from being two star. While the rooms are spacious and have a fridge and microwave - they are NOT clean. My room had been somewhat recently redone and obviously that was the last time it was really cleaned. Which is a shame since it's so much easier to maintain than deep clean. Mark on the wall, no problem it will still be there when you get back. Splatter from the sink on the wall - ditto. When I checked in there was hair and contact lenses on the vanity. I killed a roach on my pillow one night and it ended up slightly under front of vanity, where it stayed in plain sight until I checked out. There was also other people's hair clips on the corner of the bottom mattress and floor by where you have to lean over when you change the sheets, these were here for the duration of my stay. My allergies really kicked up when I spent time in this room. Either with all the dust from not being cleaned or the air vent , which it appears has never been cleaned. The fitness center was spacious and well equipped, however the equipment is definitely showing its age and is not maintained or cleaned in any way. There were several days that it appeared the area was not even serviced for towels or cups for water. Public areas are dirty, with the exception of the food area. I really watched the food area! Did not go to happy hour since I am not a big HH fan. Did not utilize the beautiful and sizable pool area. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. The parrots were funny though. They need couples therapy! They are vocal!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank summitsvs
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comments. The only way we can improve our service is by listening to our guests. I apologize for the condition of your room and would appreciate if you have the time to email the room number, so I can personally check it and take care of the issues. Once again, please accept my apologies. All I can ask is that you give us another opportunity to show you that we can meet your expectations.

Sincerely;

Don Friedman GM Don.Friedman@hilton.com

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is great as a pre or post cruise stay. It is clean and has comfortable beds, nice happy hours and a wonderful hot and cold breakfast to please everyone. The best part is that it is within walking distance to restaurants and fast food such as Five Guys. There is a huge shopping center behind the hotel that has a Publix and for the cruisers that want to take wine a Total Wine store. The kids had a wonderful time in the pool. It was a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night and the following day i left for the cruise port. But honestly, I have never been disappointed with Embassy Suits in any state. But this one just touched me for some reason. It was clean and the entrance was beautiful. The bell men were nice. Also if your room isnt ready when you arrive, they put your luggage in a storage room so its not just out in the open. The rooms were clean and I love the way the hotel lopked as a whole. They also have a nice shopping center across the street from the hotel. There are also nice eateries within walking distance of the hotel, so that definatly came in handy. Over the hotel was great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jasmine D
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My FIL booked this hotel for our 3-family Oasis of the Seas cruise and included the transportation from the airport and to the cruise port. It was an adequate place to stay before the cruise. The hotel had a lovely pool area, and rooms are large. The transportation, especially to the port, was better than other shuttles/services I've taken on three other cruises. The cocktail hour is a joke - there is no way you can actually get a drink. The breakfast is also busy, but was better than average from the other pre-cruise hotels I've stayed at. Location was within walking distance of several restaurants, grocery and liquor stores.

For my travel style and taste, we likely would not book this hotel again because of price and our perceived value. We are generally looking for a place to rest our heads before the cruise and spend our dollars on the cruise or activities.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and your comments. I am glad that the transportation worked out for you and that you found it better than other pre cruise hotels you have stayed at. I appreciate your comments and will look at our complimentary manager's reception to make it more efficient. Again thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you on a return visit so you can see our improvements.

Sincerely;

Don Friedman General Manager

Reviewed 12 June 2014

always a great stay here. clean, affordable, and airy. traffic noise can be bad on rooms facing 17th st. not on the water or beach, but close to carlos and pepes (a great Mexican cantina). be prepared for parking fee. $18 to self park or $24 for valet..per day....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
3  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 10 June 2014

OMG what a dump its not been updated in 20 years, there is no way I would have paid $170 a night for this hotel again! Spending that kind of money I want a clean updated hotel not a time warp back to the 80's. The room was not clean there was mold in the bathroom. I just can't find anything good to say!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Izlander
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I would be happy to discuss it personally with you. I am sorry that your suite did not meet your expectations. We have renovated our property several times over the past few years including doing the atrium, lobby and meeting rooms last year. The guest corridors are going to be renovated this summer. Our suites were completely redone several years ago with ongoing updates every year. Again, I apologize for your stay and look foward to speaking to you about it. All I can ask is that you give us another chance to show you that we can meet your expectations.

Don Friedman GM Don.Friedman@hilton.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We arrived at a very busy time and felt acknowledged and welcomed by front desk staff. We opted to have our car valet parked and that was a seamless service as well. Our room was on the busy road side and was a little noisy but we didn't find it to be too loud since it was Saturday morning. Breakfast was well done and we ended up going more towards the bar area to sit to get away from the crowd. Our favorite was the happy hour in the bar and grill which had access to the immediate outer pool area. This area was covered and relaxing after our six hour drive to get there. It was louder and hopping inside and around the pool the atmosphere was more quiet where people chatted with one another. I would stay here again. Good location and experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple