“Wouldn't go here again.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #40 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Chicago Suburbs, IL
“Wouldn't go here again.”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Stayed here before a cruise. Suite cost after taxes/fees was $320. Dinner with so/so food and really bad service was another $50. Our bed was AWFUL. We got a king size bed that was bowed in the middle and so my wife and I were tilting towards the center of the bed. I couldn't believe it. We were all so tired we decided to deal with it rather than request another room, but I was upset. This hotel is an old hotel that was refurbished. There was nice new furniture in the room, but popcorn ceiling textures. The bathtub and shower staff were very outdated. This hotel was NOISY. The balcony door doen't close properly so car noise came through that way, on the side of the room that faces the hotel, you have lots of noise rise up through the hotel. The breakfast buffet was OK. They give you tickets for it because you supposedly pay for it, but nobody checked tickets and I assume you could just walk up and eat without paying for the buffet. Nice. The people out front pointed me to the back of the hotel when I mentioned I was told by the concierge to wait out front for my cruise shuttle. Bewildered, I walked back to the concierge and she said go out front. I told her the people out front to me to go out back. The concierge came with me out front and set the girl straight. How annoying. The cruise shuttle included with my hotel rate left on time and only took about 15 minutes to get to the pier. There is a Public grocery store just a 2 minute walk behind the hotel in a strip mall which was nice (you can walk there without having to cross any streets). Overall I was unhappy with this hotel and will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank WCCZip43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Florida
Reviewed 23 January 2010

We checked into this Embassy prior to taking a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. As a Hilton Diamond member, I used 80,000 points for this stay. Knowing they offered $5.00 per day parking for a seven day cruise, I inquired at the front desk about availability. I was informed I would be charged $13.00 per day during my hotel stay, $5.00 per day while on my cruise and $8.00 per person for transportation to the port. I told the clerk I would think about it and checked the hotel web site which did not indicate a different price for parking while staying at the hotel or a charge for transportation to the port. I checked with another clerk this morning and was informed I needed a special rate code for this "perk" and since I used points for the room, I did not qualify. WHAT IS THE POINT IN BEING A DIAMOND MEMBER AT THIS HILTON PROPERTY? Can't they accomodate their loyal Hilton members? On the plus side, the room is large and the bed is quite comfortable. This hotel is showing some age and the staff could benefit with some hospitality training (with the exception of housekeeping who are quite friendly). Everytime we asked a question, we seemed to be treated as intruders, rather than guests.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Room was comfortable but beside a very busy main road which was a nightmare to try and cross. Next to a small retail park so if you want a beach dont go near this one, you'd need to get a cab. Water feature in foyer was very annoying after a while and if there was a function on the noise in your room was dreadful as the rooms face onto an internal courtyard. Free internet access was great for online check and tracking your lost luggage ! Buffet breakfast was average.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Fort Lauderdale every January for the past ten years. I was a guest before, and I have been a guest after, the renovation. I like this hotel. I have always received good service. My room was nicely appointed, attractive and clean. A breakfast and Manager's reception is offered each day. The restaurant has been renovated since my last stay and it is much nicer than the previous restaurant.

Having said all of that, there are a few issues with this hotel. I don't understand why this hotel insists on making guests pay for parking and internet use; particularly when hotels with much more reasonable rates offer free parking and free internet.

I had room service bring a meal to my room one night. Room service adds a $3.00 room service charge, taxes, and a 22 percent gratuity. A salad and two beers cost $34.00! I thought that this cost was a little steep.

The elevators in this hotel are insufficient to handle the amount of traffic at peak times of the day. On the weekends, the wait for an elevator may be as long as five or six minutes, and once it arrives, it will likely be full, requiring guests to wait for the next elevator. I resorted to using the stairs to and from my seventh floor room. To be fair, one of the elevators was out of service, but it was out of services for the entire five days I was at the hotel. The hotel stated that the elevators are in the process of being renovated to improve their operation and service.

I happened to be staying at the hotel during this year's cold snap, when nightime temperatures were approaching freezing. The hotel was cold. It wasn't unbearably cold, but it was uncomfortably cold. Despite the room thermastat being able to be adjusted up to 80 degrees, the actual temperature in my room was between 60 and 65 degrees, and the atrium was even colder. That was an unusual situation that was not uncommon in many other commercial buildings in south Florida during this period, but it was unexpected.

Music is played in the atrium at all times. I really don't know why, but it becomes annoying after a while. Luckily, it was not discernable from the bedroom of the suite.

Finally, and this is a minor point, they no longer offer biscuits and gravey at breakfast.

I will continue to stay at this hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed overnight in first week of Jan 2010. I usually love Embassy Suites but I do not recommend this one.

From the cussing swearing complaining older female at Concierge to the ill-mannered bell-boy pushing in front of guests in an elevator, to the outdated room decor and the wake up at 8am by cleaning lady banging on the door to ask what time we were checking out (3pm woman!) and finally to the very badly located and disorganised general dining area at breakfast, I found this Embassy Suites to be crazy!

The actual hotel room was standard ES large suite. Incredibly loud noise from banging door from room next door. Our wing elevator was broken. Long waiting times or run across to another lift. Typical Embassy Suites lay-out with 4 sided tower and garden subsection at the bottom middle.

Alex at the front desk was fantastic. His colleagues were revolting.

Tip - if you need to acquire food, run across behind the Hotel to Publix. It's like a Giant/Safeway. Cheap and fast.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Spent 4 nights prior to a Cruise over New Year.
Rooms were clean and comfortable although maybe a little dated.
We ate in E Spot on New Years Eve which was excellent and our daughter was well looked after by the staff also.
The Managers reception was good and we also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast which was to a high standard.
Would stay here again pre cuise.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed here two nights at Christmas, pre-cruise. It's easy to find from I-95 and a pretty hotel when you drive up. We used valet parking ($16/day) instead of self parking ($13/day), but in the future would only self-park since there are ample spaces close to the building.

Check-in was a breeze and the bellman was great. Elevators were so-so (being upgraded). Room was decent, king on the 11th floor. It was clean, but smelled like they had sprayed freshener to cover up cigarette smoke. Liked the location of the bathroom. Decent amenities.

Breakfast was good, managers reception just so-so (goldfish crackers in a paper bowl and cheap wine in a plastic cup), room service delivery and food was good but the person who took our order was surly, Christmas buffet in E-spot was decent (ran out of some items that were not replenished).

We enjoyed the pool area, feeding the carp cheerios, and the general location of the hotel. Lots of restaurants within walking distance (ate at Outback next door). Near the beach which is easy to drive to. 3 minutes from the pier if you are driving to a cruise. You can park at the hotel for $5/day instead of $13/day at the pier, but we chose not to.

Overall, it's a nice hotel. It wasn't luxurious or anything like that, but it was definitely on par with other Embassy Suites we've stayed in many other states. We interacted with the GM prior to the visit and he was personable and responsive as well. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple