“The Perfect Girls Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston, Massachusetts
“The Perfect Girls Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I just returned from my first visit at the Lago Mar yesterday and I still can't believe what a wonderful time I had and what a beautiful place the Lago Mar is. I went with 2 friends to celebrate a milestone birthday. The birthday girl wanted beach and relaxation and believe me, thats what she got. From the minute we drove into the front of the building we knew this place was different.

Next up, our room. We reserved a 2 bedroom Oceanfront Suite and all I can say is WOW. This room was gorgeous. It was so large we laughed that we got our exercise just walking from the living room to the back bedroom. The beach was right outside the patio door. Everyone morning we sat there drinking coffee and watching the sunrise. The room also had 2 bathrooms and a kitchenette. It would be perfect for a group or family.

The grounds were amazing. 2 pools, tennis courts, mini golf, a towel hut with clean, fresh towels and a pitcher full of ice cold water was a nice touch for the hot days. The pool bar was hugh and a great place to get an ice cold drink during the hot days.

The staff was exceptional. Everyone was friendly and always chatting with us. Upon our arrival, We had 3 men come out to greet us. They took our bags and valeted our car (free parking too). All 3 were very friendly. The front desk staff were very welcoming. My friend and I surprised the birthday girl with having flowers & balloons delivered for a surprise. Michael in Concierge and Eric in Reservations were so helpful in setting that up. I can't thank them enough for that she was so surprised. They both went above and beyond. Tina at the front desk was always pleasant to deal with. We call numerous times for ice and Kcups. She always called back to make sure we got what we needed.

When I got home I told my family that we have found a new vacation spot. I have already told my coworkers what a wonderful time I had and that they have to visit the Lago Mar, they won't be disappointed. I am looking forward to my next visit. If airfare wasn't so high, I'd be there for Thanksgiving.

All in all, it was a perfect weekend and I honestly believe the Lago Mar had a lot to do with that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Franny G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My kids learned to swim in their amazing pool. What a great hotel. Amazing rooms, great restaurants poolside, great service. Expensive but you get what you pay for. You feel like a star at the hotel. It is centrally located to everything and you can walk. What a fun place. Looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ADNYC59
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 24 year old daughter for 4 nights. The room request I had put in for in advance was granted and was exactly what I had asked for. We had an executive one bedroom suite on the top floor with a view of the pool and beach. The room was very nice and the bathroom was huge!! Perfect for three adults. Also, the rooms were very quiet. We did not hear anything in the rooms next to us or in the hallways at night. Very good for sleeping!
The pool and beach area were beautiful. Has a very nice beach bar also.
The second night we were there we had our pictures taken by Michael, the photographer at the hotel. He did an excellent job! Not only does he take pictures on the beach but around the property also. He is very friendly and took some excellent pictures. Cannot recommend him enough if this is something you're thinking of doing.
What makes this hotel stand out though to me, besides the beautiful private beach, are the employees. Every employee we came in contact with went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. One morning I called down for some extra towels and they were there in 5 minutes and then called to make sure we had everything we needed. The valet and bellmen in the lobby were so friendly and helpful. Every time we left the hotel they made sure to ask if we needed directions or recommendations. I cannot say enough about the valets and the staff in the lobby. Exceptional!!
Overall, this is a beautiful property. If you plan on leaving the hotel at all though you will need a car as it is a distance from restaurants, shopping, etc. I feel this is more of a hotel for families with small children but was very pleased with our stay and would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank smattIllinois
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is our third time staying at the Lago Mar but I can see changes in the hotel. The rooms definitely need an updating. The beds are comfortable but the bedding is beginnng to look like a cheap hotel. When do you see bedspreads on hotel beds any more. A nice white duvet that can be washed between guests would be more appropriate. Also, I hate to see rugs in hotel rooms, I just visualize everything that's on the floor that I can's see. If you have children then this is the place for you. The lagoon pool had so many children screaming you could not hear yourself think, a better alternative was the adult pool. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

4 Thank lindyligirl
Gurnee, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We travel each October for 5 days, and Lago Mar was our pick this year based on the reviews. We have a 4 and 7 year old, and Lago Mar was the perfect place for our family! The room was very comfortable, the staff was great, and the beach was spectacular! A very quiet, family friendly atmosphere with awesome views of the pool and the beach from the cheapest rooms. Very upscale feeling, and with a fresh renovation outside, it's very comfortable to lounge around by the pools, on the beach, or at the tiki bar.

If you are coming with your kids -

DO: rent a car. There are plenty of attractions within 20 or 30 minutes of the resort for the family. Plus, you can run down to the local Publix or Winn Dixie to get food and drinks to stock the kitchen (a total plus). I

DO: ride the Jungle Queen boat tour. It's about 3 hours of relaxation, and your kids will see a great alligator show! This tour runs at 1:30 every afternoon and is about 60 bucks for a family of 4, but totally worth it. If you don't have a car, a cab would cost about 10 dollars each way to get there.

DO: book a photo session with Michael, the resident photographer. He has a great eye and knows the great places to get fantastic pictures for your family! You can find him bartending at the tiki bar when he isn't behind the lens.

DO: leave some room to bring back sea shells in your suitcase. My girls brought back 7 lbs!

DON'T: bring towels. They provide plenty of towels in the room and turndown service is daily. There are clean, fluffy towels available for the pool and beach, too!

DON'T: get a two bedroom unit. The one bedroom unit comes with a big couch that has two separate twin pullout beds. Those worked perfect for our kids! I wouldn't recommend these for older kids or adults, though.

DON'T: buy beach toys for the kids when you get there (offsite, of course). There are plenty of people (like us) who have donated toys over the years, so there are plenty to go around!

Obviously, we were big fans of the resort, and we will go back!

Room Tip: Rooms were very comfortable! Kitchen comes with a small fridge, freezer, Keurig, toaster, microwave...
2 Thank studndave
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We just got back from our 3 day/4 night stay at Lago Mar. We stayed in the one bedroom poolside suite. This mini vacation was everything we could want. Plenty of stuff to keep my husband and I happy along with our 10 and 8 yr old. Lagoon pool was great to lounge by while the kids swam around. The private beach was also wonderful!! It was clean, peaceful and very relaxing. We felt like we were on an island in the Caribbean. All of the staff were wonderful, they live to serve and make their guests happy. We all enjoyed our stay so much that we booked our Spring Break trip there. Can't wait to go back!!

Stayed October 2013
Orange, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have been coming to Lago Mar for over twenty years and stayed more than once some years. Our favorite room type is the Executive Suite in the South building because it fits our needs so well. It has a beautiful bedroom seperated from the living room area by French doors that are great when someone wants to get up earlier than the other. The bathrooms are huge with seperate stall showers and full bath tubs as well. There is a small kitchenette which is just what we need with microwave, sink, small refrigerator and table settings for maybe four. The balconies overlook either the pool area/beach or the condo units next door with an angled view of the beach. The views this trip seemed more obstructed than in the past due to the Palm trees growing much taller.
The new bar granite top in the pool side bar came out great as did the new pool surface at the larger pool.
One of the reasons we enjoy this place is that the staff are great and many or them have been here for years and always seem to remember you and welcome you back. There did seem to be some new faces this trip but they are equally friendly and helpful.
I thought the price of the breakfast buffet was high but we just chose to have breakfast either somewhere else or got some pastries from Publix.
The fact that this hotel doesn't charge for parking, WIFI or a resort fee really makes quite a difference. While some people say that the resort is a little isolated we actually look forward to being in a less hectic area directly on the beach. If you don't have a car there are many places to dine within a $5 to $10 cab ride.
We'll be comomg back for many more years and hope the Banks family continue to own this resort and keep up their quality standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends