“Great place”

Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Lago Mat is one of my favorite places. The staff is awesome! Everyone is friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful. We have stayed there twice in the last year and only wish I could have stayed longer. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for some place quiet and serene.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

To celebrate my mother’s 85th birthday, we vacationed at Lago Mar. We originally thought that we might return to either St. Kitts or St. Martin but, due to hurricane season, we decided instead to visit Fort Lauderdale. I should preface this by stating that my parents had condos in Fort Lauderdale for years, we normally vacation in Aruba each summer and have always stayed in high-end resorts. Lago Mar was a revelation. The décor is Old Florida, Tommy Bahama-style which is exactly my cup of tea. If you’re looking for modern, minimalistic or European style, this is not the resort for you. I flew in from Baltimore and my mother flew in from Philadelphia. We were due to arrive within 15 minutes of each other but, due to a downpour, my mother’s flight was delayed by close to 3 hours. I took a taxi to the hotel and was shown to a standard hotel room. It was a lovely room in the south building but the balcony overlooked the parking lot and there was just a glimpse of the beach and ocean. I called the front desk to request, at the very least, a pool view room and was told to check the next morning for availability. The next day we were shown a 1 bedroom executive suite in the north building with a view of the lagoon pool, the putting green, the tennis court and the beach. We elected to move even though it meant I had to sleep on the pull-out sofa in the living room which turned out to be very comfortable.
The grounds are beautiful as are the pools and the massive beachfront. The mosaic tile floor in the lobby is magnificent. We ate lunch at the pool bar, breakfast at the onsite restaurant and then discovered the beachfront restaurant for lunch. We did not eat dinner onsite as we preferred to visit restaurants on the inter-coastal waterway. As others have said, the hotel is somewhat isolated but there are lots of restaurants off the 17th Street Causeway and, if you have a vehicle, nothing is very far away. All of the employees we came in contact with were very pleasant and helpful. The only improvement I can think of is to bar children younger than 18 from the adult pool. We only visited one day and there were numerous children cannon-balling into the water and one mother actually put her small daughter (approximately 4-5 years old) in the deep end of the pool (9 feet) and then wondered why she was frightened.
As an indicator of how much we enjoyed the property, we are considering skipping Aruba this summer and staying for 10 days in a 2 bedroom suite at Lago Mar. We really enjoyed our stay and miss having coffee on the balcony in the morning and watching the ships come and go.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the main or north building.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Lago Mar offers everything you can imagine for a fun filled Family Vacation. It's clean, friendly staff, great food, our children loved the ice cream shop! We had a one bedroom suit with a kitchen, facing the ocean! The MOST BEAUTIFUL SUNRISES YOU'D EVER SEE! Our family can not wait to go back. Lago Mar is a perfect place for any age! They accommodated a crib and high chair for our entire stay. Thank you Lago Mar!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank jeanbeverley
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I just returned from my first visit at the Lago Mar yesterday and I still can't believe what a wonderful time I had and what a beautiful place the Lago Mar is. I went with 2 friends to celebrate a milestone birthday. The birthday girl wanted beach and relaxation and believe me, thats what she got. From the minute we drove into the front of the building we knew this place was different.

Next up, our room. We reserved a 2 bedroom Oceanfront Suite and all I can say is WOW. This room was gorgeous. It was so large we laughed that we got our exercise just walking from the living room to the back bedroom. The beach was right outside the patio door. Everyone morning we sat there drinking coffee and watching the sunrise. The room also had 2 bathrooms and a kitchenette. It would be perfect for a group or family.

The grounds were amazing. 2 pools, tennis courts, mini golf, a towel hut with clean, fresh towels and a pitcher full of ice cold water was a nice touch for the hot days. The pool bar was hugh and a great place to get an ice cold drink during the hot days.

The staff was exceptional. Everyone was friendly and always chatting with us. Upon our arrival, We had 3 men come out to greet us. They took our bags and valeted our car (free parking too). All 3 were very friendly. The front desk staff were very welcoming. My friend and I surprised the birthday girl with having flowers & balloons delivered for a surprise. Michael in Concierge and Eric in Reservations were so helpful in setting that up. I can't thank them enough for that she was so surprised. They both went above and beyond. Tina at the front desk was always pleasant to deal with. We call numerous times for ice and Kcups. She always called back to make sure we got what we needed.

When I got home I told my family that we have found a new vacation spot. I have already told my coworkers what a wonderful time I had and that they have to visit the Lago Mar, they won't be disappointed. I am looking forward to my next visit. If airfare wasn't so high, I'd be there for Thanksgiving.

All in all, it was a perfect weekend and I honestly believe the Lago Mar had a lot to do with that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Franny G
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My kids learned to swim in their amazing pool. What a great hotel. Amazing rooms, great restaurants poolside, great service. Expensive but you get what you pay for. You feel like a star at the hotel. It is centrally located to everything and you can walk. What a fun place. Looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ADNYC59
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 24 year old daughter for 4 nights. The room request I had put in for in advance was granted and was exactly what I had asked for. We had an executive one bedroom suite on the top floor with a view of the pool and beach. The room was very nice and the bathroom was huge!! Perfect for three adults. Also, the rooms were very quiet. We did not hear anything in the rooms next to us or in the hallways at night. Very good for sleeping!
The pool and beach area were beautiful. Has a very nice beach bar also.
The second night we were there we had our pictures taken by Michael, the photographer at the hotel. He did an excellent job! Not only does he take pictures on the beach but around the property also. He is very friendly and took some excellent pictures. Cannot recommend him enough if this is something you're thinking of doing.
What makes this hotel stand out though to me, besides the beautiful private beach, are the employees. Every employee we came in contact with went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. One morning I called down for some extra towels and they were there in 5 minutes and then called to make sure we had everything we needed. The valet and bellmen in the lobby were so friendly and helpful. Every time we left the hotel they made sure to ask if we needed directions or recommendations. I cannot say enough about the valets and the staff in the lobby. Exceptional!!
Overall, this is a beautiful property. If you plan on leaving the hotel at all though you will need a car as it is a distance from restaurants, shopping, etc. I feel this is more of a hotel for families with small children but was very pleased with our stay and would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank smattIllinois
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is our third time staying at the Lago Mar but I can see changes in the hotel. The rooms definitely need an updating. The beds are comfortable but the bedding is beginnng to look like a cheap hotel. When do you see bedspreads on hotel beds any more. A nice white duvet that can be washed between guests would be more appropriate. Also, I hate to see rugs in hotel rooms, I just visualize everything that's on the floor that I can's see. If you have children then this is the place for you. The lagoon pool had so many children screaming you could not hear yourself think, a better alternative was the adult pool. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

4 Thank lindyligirl