“Blown Away”

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Blown Away”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our first visit. Found on Internet. GREAT experience. Everything about this resort was top notch. We are middle class working people and this was our kind of place Very family oriented. Treated us as though they were happy to see us. Great private beach, two beautiful swimming pools plenty of shade trees. Just a great feel. Thank you Lago Mar for a wonderful experience. We wiili be back! BT Peoria,Il

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
chesterfield, va
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I really can't say enough about the Lago Mar Resort. From the time I changed our plans & decided to spend the extra $ to stay here everything fell right into place. I checked out their FB page and called reservations b/c there were no openings on the website. The reservations specialist was great and was able to secure us a one bedroom suite. I told them we were coming with our daughter to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary and if we could get a room with a decent view we'd be excited. We touched down and got to the hotel at 3 pm on Saturday the 7th. The room was ready and they were very welcoming. She said we were in room 182. I took a second b/c I really don't like the bottom floors but she said "trust me" you'll love this room. O M G!!! Did I love it!!!! It was ocean front, walk out to the beach with a patio and chairs/table and 2 loungers. It was incredible!!! My daughter was going bonkers with excitement and before we could even get in the door she was out the patio door running to the ocean. Nice job Lago Mar....Nice nice nice!!!!!!! So we unpacked and hit the beach. When we came back about 2 hours later there was a bottle of red wine and cheese and crackers/grapes, etc left with a Happy Anniversary and welcome to the resort from the staff and owner. I was over the moon impressed with our first 3 hours there...and the trip just got better with each day!

The room was large, almost too large for just 3 people. Great set up with 2 full bathrooms. Clean and airy and bright. Love the "old" Florida decor. Loved the bed and the comforter! AC worked well and was even too cold for a while when we would get back in from the beach/pool. House keeping was wonderful. Always kind and accommodating. Never rude and always respected the "do not disturb" sign. I don't remember the name of our housekeeper but who ever she was we loved her!!!! The kitchenette area was great. We did go out to Publix right at the bridge for waters and juice and snacks for my daughter. We ordered breakfast through room service in the am. It was ok, not perfect but not bad either. The price was fair and reasonable for what we got. Coffee is amazing!!!!

The location of this resort is key. Everything is there right for the taking. Activities galore for kids and a lot of kids there when we visited. My daughter loved the shuffle board and volley ball and even took up some ping pong in the late afternoons. We didn't rent beach chairs as we just kind of sat on towels but I saw them setting them up everyday and people looked comfy. The water was amazing, clean and warm. The view of the boats coming in and out of the inlet was wild. Ships, cruise ships and even private yachts! Just perfect. They groomed the beach everyday and it was an easy walk out to the water from the resort location.

Pools are great. The family style pool is the main "lazy river" type and it was lovely. Warm and clean and I believe it was a salt water pool which I love. There are plenty of towels available and the towel man was really nice and kind and even came by to change them out for us if he saw the were damp. The pool bar- well it's awesome and the fruity adult drinks are well double awesome. They even made a smoothie for my daughter. Paul was funny and always let me plug in my Iphone so I could get some work done while lying out and working on my tan! Prices are reasonable and we loved the calamari!!! I truly enjoyed the bar....

The staff throughout the resort are wonderful. Helpful and kind and always have a smile on their face. No need to pay extra for parking here! No resort tax either. That's what I loved. I charged most everything to the room which was easy and then settled up with cash when we checked out. I didn't want to charge everything to the room but it was six one way half dozen the other really b/c I just used cash at the end.

Overall this is the best trip I have had in a long time. It was worth the wait and went way too fast while we were there. We will be back and it will be for a longer time. Also it's located close to A1A and Hollywood, Dania and Gulfstream Park. We used to work at GP and wanted to show our daughter where we met as we were race trackers working with horses. It was an easy drive and we managed to only use 1/2 tank of gas! Restaurants are close too. We hit our old spots Bimini Boatyard, the Lauderdale Yacht Club and LeTub.

Thanks Lago Mar for a great 4 days! We hope to see you again real soon!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. I would say anything on the north side would be fabulous.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikki S
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The good:
This is a small (204 room), private, relaxing resort, away from downtown Ft. Lauderdale.
Outside it has an impressive private beach, 2 separate pools, beach volleyball court, hammocks, a 9-hole putt-putt golf course, tennis courts, a kids playground, shuffleboard, over-sized chess board game, gift shop, etc.
Inside your room (we stayed in a 2-bed/2 bath unit) there is plenty of space to spread out, great views off of your balcony, and comfortable beds and furniture.
The staff is very customer-focused and provides very timely service.
The cruise ships departing very near-by provide fun afternoon entertainment.
It is an easy drive into town for numerous dining options for the budget-conscious.
There are no hidden "surprise" resort fees, and there is free parking and free wireless.

The not-so-good?:
If you are looking for night life, do not stay here. There really isn't any.
Remember that this is a resort built in the 1960s. It has a distinctive old-school feel (and sometimes smell) to it.
There are no resort-wide organized activities: i.e. group yoga, water aerobics, beach bonfires...
Beware of the beach umbrellas; they are NOT SPF 30! Not even close. maybe SPF 8 at best.
It is moderately expensive; expect ~$400 per night or so + meals.

Overall, the good far outweighs the not-so-good.
We (family of 5) would return to this resort in the future, but we would opt for the full kitchen next time.

Room Tip: The higher floors obviously have the best ocean views. Some rooms have a longer walk to the elevato...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank BossMan2005
south shields
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel with my husband and two sons. Huge bedroom with a sitting area and pull out bed with kitchen. Rooms were lovely and clean. We had a pool view which was great. The hotel was immaculate. Staff very friendly. It has a swim around pool and was right on the beach. Nice atmosphere about this hotel. Would definitely return. I wasn't too keen on the centre of fort Lauderdale for a night out but we did find some nice friendly family restaurants not far from the hotel by taxi. There was a marina restaurant can't quite remember the name but the tuna was fantastic.

Room Tip: sea or pool facing room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eddySouthShields
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Made four different reservations for our Memorial Day week visit to Ft. Lauderdale: the Westin, the Atlantic and the W. Although the Lago Mar was clearly an older property, I wanted to be on the beach and away from AIA traffic. I couldn't have been more satisfied.

The resort interiors have a Palm Beach aesthetic, nothing overly modern or flashy. Just comfort and old-school luxury. It was clear that ownership/management takes great pride in maintaining every last detail. The grounds were lush and manicured, the suite was spacious and well-appointed and the staff was friendly and helpful. I will look to stay here next year for some more R&R. Oh, and two large pools, which is somewhat uncommon for Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Lago Mar has huge rooms with nice balconies directed to the pool or even beach area (you have to book early!). The pool is very nice, also big and perfect for children and there are a lot. They also have a beautiful private beach and a family-friendly restaurant with reasonable prices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nadine2403
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Visited for the 1st time with 2 granddaughters (5 & 3) and family. Great family atmosphere, fabulous oceanfront/beach setting; impeccable service at all levels and in all areas. Will return for sure soon and am praising it and advising friends to try it. Good ole southern hospitality in a south Florida setting.

Room Tip: Oceanfront front suite is outstanding with lots of glass views from all rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family