“Great Location - Great Property”

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you are looking for an old school, luxury resort then look no further than Lago Mar. With a quiet private beach, great pool, amenities, and rooms there is nothing more to ask for. With an Oceanfront suite you can enjoy the views and the shade, or spend time on the beach and avoid the crowds of other beaches in the area. The food is good with the pool side bar being the best ambiance. We also enjoyed working with their onsite photographer Mike, which was a nice surprise to be able to do. We didn't have any real reason to do photographs, it had been a long time and the convenience of doing them in such a picturesque location was great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,517)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

First off this is probably the most beautiful hotel I have ever been at. The grounds are great, the rooms large, well appointed and neat, the common areas are luxurious, The staff were friendly from the front desk to housecleaning. Everyone did their job perfectly. But its not what they say but what they don't say. The biggest omission is that no one tells you until you have this problem, there is no cash accepted at the resort. Whether its the bar their restaurants (I'll get to that in a minute) or the sundries store, soda shop or clothing store. Everything MUST be charged to your room. I sat in the lobby and heard the poor staff explaining again and again that no cash or credit cards were taken, that everything must be charged to your room, i was there an hour and heard that being explained at least 8 times. Though I understand why they do this,. It should be explained when you make reservations. The next thing they don't tell you is the two restaurants, one a more family oriented one and then then top of the line restaurant. But again that's not two restaurants they just change the name at night. As I am writing this I am looking to my right to see more complaints about the same thing, no cash accepted. What is funny to me is that right by the elevator what do you think they have in the lobby? An ATM machine!!!!!!!
Great place but it's not what they say , but what they don't say, you have to look out for.

Room Tip: The best buy is the King Suite it is huge and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oldtimernr
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family stayed for three nights in June and are already planning a return trip. The rooms were nice and there are several types to choose from. We had a 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath which was perfect for 4 of us. The beach was amazing, I was worried about the channel for the ships being close to the resort and making the water choppy but it was not a problem at all, in fact we loved watching the ships pass. I recommend the beach umbrella and chairs for $25.00 a day, we got to come and go as we pleased and enjoy the shade of an umbrella during the hot afternoon hours. The food was really good although I would have preferred a larger variety. The location of the resort makes a car important if you want to travel to other areas in Fort Lauderdale, which we did and enjoyed however we also missed the peace of the beach when away from the resort. Publix is close by and with a kitchen in the room you can stock up on water/snacks etc. The staff was also top notch, from the front desk to the bartenders to the housekeeper everyone was pleasant and happy to help. With 100 % certainty I can say that this is the best family vacation we have taken in 10 years and we can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank laura s
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We did not know what to expect on July Fourth weekend..but what a joy!
We arrived Tuesday at noon, and were able to have an early check in (per availability I'm sure)
There are a lot of families that return year after year..you can tell..staff greet most by name with hugs and handshakes..
(I heard Happy Birthday quite a few times in passing) Charming!
We had an oceanfront suite with just enough kitchen..large balcony..two full baths..tons of closet space..and oh by the way, no fee to park car. No Fee To Park Car
We have been going to The Cloister pre renovation and Lyford Cay for years now..and this has that Old World Florida Charm one comes to expect, but is a lost art..not here!
Join The Club..Join The Family..we have!

Room Tip: Ocean front means just that..some rooms are pool and garden view..albeit beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 102MarionV
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in on Wed July 2nd and were assigned a 1st floor 1 bedroom pool view suite. The only thing we could see from our balcony was bushes and palm trees. The resort was pretty much open access with no security in sight. On July 4th there was a major influx in guests do to the club members utilizing the facility. We went outside at 9am and couldn't find a pool chair anywhere. All the members arrived early with coolers and took control of the property. Apparently they have 3,000 club members who are able to utilize the facilities at there leisure. To make a long story short I wasn't happy about paying $330 a night and not being able to enjoy the resort. They should of advised us upon making the reservation that this secluded resort would turn into a zoo on the long weekend. They have approx 160 rooms and suites and it felt like a 1,000 people around the 2 pools and bar. Then we left to eat dinner downtown by the beach only to return and not being able to find a parking space. I wasn't sure if this was because of the extra club members on property or because the public was parking here to walk to the beach and see the fireworks. Security should of been more present today in my opinion. All in all was a o.k resort without any WOWS, and next time I spend $330 a night it will be somewhere else. We came here to relax and only had stress. Then my kids come back from the beach at 3pm only to find housekeeping just starting to clean our suite. Really 3pm and your just starting....

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Ryanroberto1
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

While the hotel and staff were very nice, we were shocked at check in by the fact that this is a "cash free hotel." Which meant that when we checked in they wanted to charge me $400.00 up front on my debit card for unforseen charges. This means that since the hotel doesnt take any cash or credit cards on sight, they charge a $75.00, per day, amount to your credit card. This is for anything that costs money beyond the room...for example, a pop at the hotel store or a cabana at the beach. I was not told about this charge and since I only use a debit card, they were going to charge me a total of 400.00 on the day we checked in and then refund any leftover amount when we checked out!!! I had to save for this trip and the amount on my card was going to be used for our vacation. I told them they couldnt take that money so we essentially could not purchase anything at the hotel, not even a water!! It is totally rediculous and made me very upset. I will never visit this hotel again just for that reason!! NOT COOL!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Kellie S
James P, General Manager at Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Kellie S, thank you for your review. Like most resorts, at time of check-in we do pre-authorize a credit card for the approximate cost of your stay at Lago Mar Resort. All hotel outlet charges are posted to your room folio. At the time of your departure you can keep all expenditures on a credit card or pay with cash if you choose. Please accept my apology for not being clear about our charging policies. I hope you reconsider and return to Lago Mar Resort in the future. Contact me at 954-523-6511 if you have any further questions or concerns.
Best regards, James Pancallo, GM.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Family coming off the Allure for one night stay found a wonderful resort. Close to cruise port and airport. Would have appreciated complimentary transfers. Room requested was delivered and very, very spacious. Staff was friendly and food was good,though a little pricey. Best part for granddaughter was the pool. Beach was close and they had playground equipment on the sand.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front. View was great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family