“Summer vacation”

Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a fantastic family friendly resort! Rooms are very spacious and are more like an apartment than a hotel. From the night manager to bellman, service was exceptional and always there to help. If you visit with a family, your kids will have a great time with the resort offering a lagoon pool, regular pool, old fashioned soda shop, ping pong, miniature golf, volleyball, jungle gym, tennis courts, shuffle board, and of course a enormous private beach; you never have to leave the property. The main dining restaurant is phenomenal. Service and food are exceptional, and for the quality you can't beat the price!!!!! If you're looking for a place to stay, that's on the beach in Fort Lauderdale you don't need to look any further than the Lago Mar.

2  Thank Ram6716
There are newer reviews for Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Although I have been many places in Florida this was my first in Fort Lauderdale. I am so glad I chose this resort as it was very charming. I absolutely loved the old southern-style decor! The lobby was striking with it's high ceilings and mosaic floors....very grand. Our room was huge! Had two queen-size beds that were incredibly comfortable with great linens. The bathroom was somewhat small but charming and had all that we required. I especially loved the line of toiletries they supplied. I appreciated having a balcony even if our view was not a good one it allowed me a private outdoor space for my morning yoga. There were some signs of wear that reminded you that this was not a newly-remodelled hotel but for me that did nothing to diminish the distinctive charm and ambiance of this resort. I loved the public "drawing room" with it varied seating arrangements of beautiful furnishings and was especially impressed that there were not one, but two, baby grand pianos! Unfortunately both were locked and my musician husband was unable to play for us.
Although I am not a much of a pool person my family spent some time at the pools and we really liked the setup with the center bar and eating area. We used the mini-golf course and outdoor chess. The beach area was huge, clean and not crowded. My youngest and I enjoyed the beach in the daytime and my husband and I love to walk the beach in the early morning.
Now, I am saving the best for last....the dining room! We had our evening meal here and were very impressed with the quality of the food, the imaginative menu and the knowledge of our servers. There was a great wine list along with amazing dessert choices! We also enjoyed the breakfast as well. Our vacation was 16 nights encompassing NYC, Florida and a Caribbean cruise and my husband and I felt this was the meal that stood out the most.
I hope to stay again sometime soon!

Room Tip: Perhaps requesting a room with a beach view would be nice.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We took our kids (6 and 3) on their first trip to see the ocean and the ease, convenience, service, cleanliness and beauty of Lago Mar made it a memorable one! Family friendly without being obnoxious there was plenty for the little ones to do from putt-putt golf to tennis. The rooms were spacious, clean and our room had a fridge and freezer that we were able to stock with breakfast, lunch, snacks (from the grocery store a few minutes away) and also some hooch for mom and dad. But we ate every dinner in their main restaurant which was always fantastic!

The beach was clean and spacious with free beach chairs. The waves were thrilling for the kids and the water was just the right temp.

Overall, loved Lago Mar! We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and we loved it.
The beds are real comfy and quite spacious.
Bathroom fully equipped.

Staff was real friendly and helpful.

But what's really nice, is the beach. White sands and stretched out.

1  Thank John E
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wonderful 5 days here for my daughters 18th birthday. Great staff, food, location and the private beach is fabulous. Make sure to have a portrait session with Mike Holmes he does a wonderful job. We will definately be back!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our second visit to Lago Mar. We were so impressed by the hotel during a conference that we attended there, that we decided to return for a short vacation.

Lago Mar is one of those places that you could "get used to." Beautiful, well kept grounds, a private beach, nice pools, a great spa, etc. Tons to do- pool, shuffleboard, chess, mini golf, playgrounds for the kids, and huge hammocks in the palm tree shade. The staff goes out of its way to make sure you are welcomed. (Special shout outs to Lane (beach attendant), Josephina (pool, towels, Tiki hut), Chris (Bar tender), the ladies in the Resort Shop and those in the Soda Fountain. They all go above and beyond to make you feel like family!)

There are really only two areas that I would expect more out of a resort of this quality. First is the food- it's not bad, it's just not what you would expect. (Breakfast buffet could use some work for sure- the omelet station/pancake station is great. The rest, not so much. We did not eat dinner on site, so I can't comment on the food at dinner.

Second is the hours kept by the pool bar. It would be so nice to be able to sit outside in the late evening and enjoy some time with friends with a beverage and/or snacks. It doesn't need to be open until midnight, but 10:00 would be nice!

Finally, housekeeping. The room is always clean- they do a nice job with that. But, quality control needs a bit of a boost. Sometimes we received 4 wash cloths, sometimes 2. Sometimes we received all new toiletries- sometimes,they didn't leave any replacement shampoo. The staff was always quick to "fix" the issue, but, this should be an easy one to take care of.

Other things to know: Rooms have small kitchenettes and refrigerators- awesome for quick snacks and keeping drinks cold. There are no ice machines (call the bell captain for ice, or do like we did and pick up a bag at a nearby shop and keep it in the freezer). This is a great place for kids- so expect a bunch of them!

Overall, we love this resort and will go back as soon as we can! Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Try to get on the fifth floor if possible. The hotel grounds have a lot of palm trees. To have an oc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeldenbailey
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stay here every year for the 4th of July. This place is a beach club by day hotel by night. The staff are very professional and friendly. Nothing is overlooked. That must come from the top. The hotel is gorgeous with some old stone and woodwork. Valet is FREE! Likely because the parking spaces are so narrow. But, hey, its free!! The rooms are well appointed with soaps front the hotel spa. They have a few restaurants onsite: Soda shop which is a great place for breakfast. We love seeing our friend Vi from Cuba working there. So nice and caring. The pool restaurant is great. Michaladas which is a margarita mixed with beer. Fish tacos, etc... The staff remains the same year over year which says a lot about the place. Its right on the beach and they have 2 pools, one like a lagoon and one which is deep. They have outdoor ping pong table, mini golf, shuffle board, etc... Late check out seems to be a challenge each time we stay and the hotel should consider shower rooms to be able to rinse off and change before flight home. Over all this place is one of the best run hotels I've stayed in. Nothing changes and that is a good thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the tool or ocean. Last time we stayed we had a view of the service area w...
3  Thank tschniddy