“We loved Lago Mar” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New Jersey
“We loved Lago Mar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2006

My husband and I stayed at Lago Mar for a 3 night getaway. We absolutely loved it. This resort is anything but "tired" like some other reviews were saying. Our room looked new and our hallway and building was freshly painted and bright. We stayed in the main building and had a view of the lagoon pool. It was the "executive one bedroom suite". Very big room with a kitchen and separate living room area. We ate onsite the whole time except 1 night we went to Las Olas. Food at Lago Mar was excellent. We loved the family owned feel of it. We took a walk down to the Marriott and were so happy we didn't stay there - it was too crowded and didn't feel "homey".
The staff were very nice and friendly. I can't wait until we can go back.
I posted some pictures so all can see how nice this resort is.

• Liked — Room/beach
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Tips/Secrets — If staying for a week you should rent a car.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank beechmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Buckingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2006

We spent three weeks at this hotel with two young children and we all had a great time. The pool was great for the kids to play. A great plus was the complimentary laundry facilities available which is great when you have kids. The range of food was limited and of average quality but there are plenty of restaurants if you drive into Fort Lauderdale (5mins). We stayed in a poolside suite which had a full kitchen, living area and bedroom with en-suite. There was free wireless internet access available. The hotel is on the beach but there is no lifeguard.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Location - 5 mins drive into Fort Lauderdale/shops
  • Tips/Secrets — A car is recommended if you want to stay at this hotel
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RegularTraveller2006
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2006

This was the second hotel we stayed at in our trip to Florida. We had previously spent just one night in a hotel close to the interational airport in Orlando (Embassy Suites) which was good value and very well run. So we had expectations that a "resort" like the Lago Mar would be even better. We were, however, dissappointed from the start. I would agree with previous reviews that this resort is tired and in need of updating, to say the least. The rooms have a desolate and dank feeling. The balconies are not attractive features and the sliding door barely worked in our room without a serious bit of effort. The communal areas looked a bit old and grubby. The hallways look more like prison or school hallways, except not as clean. The valet parking guys were very nice, but then they got tips from us two to three times a day. Didn't see any of the other staff - don't know where they were but they were not offering tip-top service or anticipating guests needs. The pool was dirty and my daughter got an ear infection that a doctor blamed on dirty water, and since the only water we had swum in up to that point was the hotel pool, then it must have been responsible. The pool bar was really grubby and unattractive. The beach is lovely, but I was appalled to find that it costs $20.00 to hire one lounger and umbrella - whether you stay there an hour or a day. The resort is expensive enough without these extra charges. Staff were not rude, just lacklustre, jaded and lacking enthusiasm and commitment. Perhaps it is worse working there than staying there and that would explain their attitudes. I would not return nor would I recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The beach was lovely.
  • Disliked — It was grubby and needed a complete renovation.
7 Thank Tess01
Leeds, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2006

Ensure that you check your bill when you leave this hotel. We stayed for 9 nights in August and the hotel tried to charge us twice for restaurant bills that we hadn't had - the latest attempt being one month after we left !
Other than this we quite enjoyed our stay, the resort is in a lovely position but some serious updating is required of public areas and rooms. You would not recognise our 'deluxe pool view room' from the photos/description on the website.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — They expect you to pay for items you haven't had or used.
  • Tips/Secrets — Check your bill carefully
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank SheilaS
Palm Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2006

Well – where do I start . Absolutely fabulous location. Literally steps from the beach – gorgeous ocean views. Fantastic soft, white powder beach, BUT, WOW is this hotel tired and weary. I am not sure if it was just one of those instances when you have a “dud” stay but if something was going to go wrong…it sure went wrong! The first 15 mins of my arrival consisted of phone calls, dealing with housekeeping and repair people.

Walking into the room, the stench of smoke was awful. I had to air the room and request air freshener. Lamps didn’t work and had to be repaired. The toilet in the second bathroom had been used and not flushed. I soon realized after brushing my teeth that the sink in the first bathroom was blocked.

A few hours later, the entire hallway carpet was soaked and we could not walk barefoot at all. We ended up placing a wastepaper basket under the leak and spent 2 nights being lulled to sleep with the drip, drip, drip sound! Oh and air conditioning that turn on at off at will!! There was a leak on the balcony and you could only sit to the one side!

The first morning we ordered breakfast …well, not only is the hotel tired but so is the food! Our Eggs Benedict order arrived late, cold and unappetizing and lay untouched. But, the freshly squeezed orange juice seemed, indeed, freshly squeezed! The staff is friendly but, a little disinterested and ignore “Please do not disturb” signs!!

I do have to admit – when the General Manager finally called me AFTER I had checked out and was already home, he did apologize and assured me that I had not been charged. Well , I should certainly hope so!!
However, I was extremely disappointed in his attitude and response. I was told that my expectations were too high for a hotel of his hotels caliber and that not all guests could be satisfied and that perhaps I should not return!! I felt insulted and annoyed that my expectation of a clean room and basic working utilities was considered too high. I challenged the manager, asking if there was one single thing on the report of the room that was unreasonable – I wasn’t at all surprised when he answered “No Ma’am”.

If I am paying over $250 per night, for my accommodations – I certainly expect clean and working utilities – wouldn’t you?
The ONLY thing this resort has going for it is the spectacular location.

10 Thank travelbug2000
Manchester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2006

I spent the first 2 weeks of August at the Lago Mar with my husband and 2 sons aged 10 and 12 and had a great time.

Coming from the UK we have spent 2 weeks in Florida every August for the last 5 years but this is our first visit to the Atlantic coast, having previsiously visited various resorts on the Gulf of Mexico.

We searched for ages for this year's destination as we like to have lots of facilities on site as well as 2 bedroomed accommodation, kitchen etc. We were slightly disappointed that the hotel couldn't guarantee a full kitchen when taking the reservation but decided to book nevertheless.

Arrived after a long journey we didn't find the reception staff particularly welcoming. When asked if we had a suite with a full kitchen were told no, and that the hotel only had 1 2-bedroomed suite with a full kitchen. Never mind...... we went to our suite which was OK , not stunning but clean and functional. The suite was on the fifth floor, ocean front and when we went to bed we found the air conditioning to be unbelievably loud. My husband was unable to sleep due to the noise and eventually called the front desk (this was 11pm local time - 4am our body clock time). Maintanance arrived very quickly only to tell us that the AC units for the whole block were directly above our bedroom and there was nothing to be done. My husband spent that night on a very uncomfortable pull out sofa bed in the lounge and woke up in a foul mood.

He went to reception (after an excellent breakfast buffet) but again found their attitude somewhat off putting. When asking to be moved he was told the hotel was completely full and nothing could be done to help us, until possibly the next day when another suite may be available.

My husband, who travels regularly throughout the world, was appalled at the attitude and spent the remainder of the day looking for alternative accommodation on the internet.

Although we were by now both cheesed off with the place and picking fault with everything, we decided to be rational and wait until the following morning to see what was on offer. Our kids were having a ball, great pools, beach, shuffleboard, golf and lots of other children to play with.

The following morning we were moved to a suite on the third floor which thankfully was much quieter. Amazingly it also had a full kitchen!!!

After this unfortunate start we had a great holiday. Yes, the hotel is a little tired in places and isn't as plush as some of the massive hotels in Miami but it is completely relaxed for families. The children are welcome everywhere and free to roam throughout the grounds. There are plenty of things for them to do and lots of other children for them to mingle with. The pools are great and the laggoon layout is such that it never seems busy. We never had trouble getting loungers and the beach is also lovely.

I must say that I think the resort is extremely expensive. The 18% service charge on everything (even grocery purchases in the soda shop) is a rip off, especially when the staff then seem to expect an additional tip. I also think it is ridiculous to have to pay $10 (plus 18%) for a sun bed on the beach. In terms of food the breakfast buffet was delicious but we found the lunch and dinner choices to be very limited but the quality of what there was was good.

All in all we had a good holiday. We all prefer the Gulf coast, finding the people much friendlier and didn't particularly like the Fort Lauderdale area. The Lago Mar resort turned out to be a great family resort and in a nice secluded loaction yet within easy reach of restaurants, shops etc.

• Liked — Kid friendly attitude
  • Disliked — Service charge applied universally and additional tip expected
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from 5th floor ocean front accommodation
6 Thank CJLVB
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Lago Mar. The resort is beautiful and the staff is great. Everyone went out of their way to greet us using our names and attend to our every need. We took a taxi to the hotel from the airport and never left the resort during our 3 day stay. We ate at the restaurant all 3 nights. It is a little pricey, but worth it. We also had massages at the spa, which were wonderful.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We read the other reviews that said the grounds were not kept up; however, we did not find this to be the case at all.

We had a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool located in the main building. Our room was identical to the picture on their and other websites. It was very spacious and well laid out. The bathroom was hugh with a separate tub and shower.

We will definitely visit the Lago Mar Resort again!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — A little pricey, but worth it