“Ok for a night, but not my favorite Hilton”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
Ranked #56 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 19 January 2014

To be fair we were staying just after Christmas week (taking a New Year's cruise) so it was a very busy time. We stayed one night prior to our cruise, and the location is conveniently located near Port Everglades, and not too far from the airport.

When we began our checkin at 4:30pm, the lobby was jam packed with people sitting on every available seat, and floor area they could find, and quite a long line to check in; actually two or three chaotic long lines. When we finally got up close to the counter we could see a HiltonHonors line, but the lobby was so packed we couldn't have gotten there if we wanted to, and nobody seemed to be using it anyway.

I am a Hilton Diamond member and we received a water view room at the far East wing of the property, meaning you go thru a couple buildings and quite a walk down a few hallways to get there. Second floor room, of this low rise building, and offers a balcony with a view of the Yachts and walkway beside them, but can't see the cruise ships from there. The tower building is the main building which also faces the water. I think the Tower would have provided for better views on a higher floor.

There is a nice pool area, and pool bar adjacent which offers drinks and snacks (you can also order meals from here) in a nice waterfront setting. We found this much to our liking, and didn't venture off property for dinner. There is an Asian restaurant on-site, but the pool bar area provided enough food for us. We were in the transition period when we had drinks at 5:30 and had appetizers thinking we would go out for dinner. (the menu said served until 6pm, but they actually have a different dinner menu starting at 6pm, so we were glad we stayed for dinner.)

The hotel offers both self and valet parking; both for a nightly charge, ($21 and $25 respectively). The self parking is a bit inconvenient (vs the valet parking) as we were pointed to the self parking lot down the ramp and adjacent to the hotel which is a bit of a walk with your luggage. In hindsight I would have done valet where they take your luggage there at the drop off area. There weren't many choices within walking distance for food, other than other hotels. There are restaurants (Outback, etc) up the street, but I would drive rather than walk there, as it is a bit of a distance. You can't tell it from the photos, but the parking and front of hotel border a busy street and freeway overchange, which gives it the feel of a busy city, instead of tropical resort. Once out by the pool however, it is much more relaxing.

The room was nicely laid out although a bit noisy. We heard a dog barking quite a few times from across the hall. The hotel had a feel of a busy convention hotel or busy Caribbean resort where the service didn't seem to be the top priority. Again, was there during the holiday period, but it didn't have the feel of a business hotel at all to us, and wasn't very personal for service (with the exception of the great waiter we had at the pool bar/restaurant). The lobby/front desk always seemed packed.

Normally with the Diamond benefit I get a complimentary continental breakfast in the dining room or Executive Lounge. I don't believe this hotel has an Executive lounge, or if it did, I didn't get my normal invite for evening hors dourness or breakfast; Rather received two coupons for breakfast in the Antea Restaurant. When I looked for the Antea Restaurant the following day in the busy lobby for breakfast I had to ask a bellman where it was. I got a puzzled look on his face, I guess because I said restaurant and he pointed to this snack shop with the super long line we had already seen just off the lobby. I don't consider this a restaurant as it was just a to-go snack shop where you order and pickup your food in line, fast-food style, although they did have a few occupied tables there to sit. We waited quite a while in line hoping to get just coffee, juice and a croissant, along with everyone else before we decided to leave and just head to the cruise as the service was so incredibly slow. There was a sit down breakfast offered in the nice -looking Asian restaurant, but the Diamond breakfast coupons were not good for there, and anyway there was a long line to be seated there as well.

Overall it's fine if you are only there for a night or two prior to the cruise, but it was a bit too busy and had a mass-market feel compared to most other properties I have stayed at. I would not stay here again. and rated this a 3, but 2 1/2 would probably be more accurate - compared to other Hiltons.

Room Tip: Although I didn't stay in the tower rooms, since it was many floors they would probably offer a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Like2cruz
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear “Like2cruz,”
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experiences. Your arrival experience is not a typical, every-day experience. If you want the best views of Port Everglades and the lovely, lighted cruise ships entering and leaving, ask for a tower waterway room on the south side. There are several dining choices that are a half mile walk from the hotel, and more within a mile. Christmas and New Year’s are busy times here, that’s for sure.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Hilton exceeded my expectations. Great stay before cruise. Convenient location with water taxi at my doorstep. Room was clean thanks to housekeeper, Sandra Medina. She did a fantastic job and I am very picky!

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 18 January 2014

From your balcony if the room is right you can see right into the lives of the REALLY rich and likely famous. Fabulous views down the intracoastal. Speilberg's yacht rumoured to cost $200million moored right there. Fort Lauderdale is way past being where the boys are!!! The boys can't afford it any more. Insist on a room with a view...it's maybe as close as you will get to serious big bucks. Hotel is fine with great helpful staff. Not cheap in peak season, but then you DO get to look at real riches!!

Room Tip: Insist on upper floors room with a view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear “Larach,”
We have some of the best views in Fort Lauderdale, whether toward Port Everglades, the Intracoastal Waterway or downtown. Mr. Spielberg’s yacht can be chartered for $1.3 million per week. We’re glad to hear your found our team helpful.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was a little worried about this hotel after reading the reviews, but we needed something for the night before a flight out. I can see why some reviewers say this is not up to Hilton standards. Poor directions to the room (we were wandering around with our luggage trying to figure out the right annex and elevator), an open box of cookies left in a room drawer, and grubby finger marks on the paint. Some of the rooms do look more like motel rooms with an outdoor corridor (although not ours).

That said, the lobby is elegant, I liked the decor of the room , and we had a nice view onto the river causeway from our balcony. All night we could watch the mega yacht anchored opposite us and see how the other half lives!

We also enjoyed the pool area, although I wish they had a hot tub to warm up in on chilly nights. It's also not well illuminated--had trouble watching my kids when they swam over to the deep end.

My one complaint about this hotel is that they handle a lot of cruise passengers who have irregular departure times. This must be nice if you're on a cruise, since they seem to allow passengers to go directly from hotel to ship mid-afternoon (ditto with flight attendants we saw). But this means there are no rooms available before 4. I don't expect an EARLY early check-in, but we arrived at 3 and there were no rooms available. Kind of a bummer having to park our car at the Fort Lauderdale Beach with all of our luggage (and change in the car). Just be forewarned: don't bother arriving before 4!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel in a good location, only stayed for one night prior to a cruise, but had a lovely evening. beds were the most comfortable I've ever stayed in!! I emailed the manager to request a room with a view, and got a lovely room with a great view, so a huge thank you to him. Great start to a wonderful holiday.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheppy20
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Sheppy20,
We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your room with a view and had a lovely evening at our hotel. We have fabulous views of the reasons Fort Lauderdale is known as the Venice of America, and most of our rooms have balconies to better enjoy the view. Your thank you was relayed to several managers. Please stay with us again when you next cruise out of Port Everglades.
Neal Spivack, Director of Rooms, neal.spivack@hilton.com

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel Dec 2013 but had to book and pay in advance in Mar 2013 to confirm
reservation. Due to flight delays we arrived late and were told our room had been resold as this was company policy.After some stressful arguments at reception a room was found.
We found the hotel to be shabby and run down and in bad need of a facelift. With the overcrowding it was impossible to eat at the hotel as the facilities are not sufficient to cope.
This hotel is convenient for an overnight stopover but is not a place for a holiday. Having used Hilton before this was most disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert H
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Robert H,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write a review. We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you experienced and we assure you that this type of situation is not typical. We're glad we could find other room accommodations for you. We'll be sure to keep your suggestions for hotel updates in mind and hope we can invite you back.
Neal Spivack, Director of Rooms, neal.spivack@hilton.com

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Awful place! The rooms were decrepit the rugs were filthy and smelled like mildew. Many people changed rooms 2 and 3 times. The exterminator was fumigating the hallway when I got off the elevator and didn't stop spraying so I waited. He said I could walk on by and I refused and asked him to sto so I could pass.
They held my luggage while I was at my meeting for a few hour. They retuned it to me drenched, including my scarf and coat without an explain action. The only nice people were in the Cafe, but the wait and system to get food were absurd. The staff there were non the less lovely and food tasted good.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank maxinedds
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear maxinedds,
We're sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had. We're reviewing your comments about your luggage and have addressed your concerns with the pest control company. Please feel free to contact us directly, if you wish to discuss your concerns in more detail.