“Problems solved with a smile”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
Ranked #59 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Upon checking in I informed the front desk clerk me and my wife were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary. The gentleman checking me in stated he was glad we decided to share our anniversary with them so he upgraded me to a better room with a better view with no additional charge. Our stay seemed to be going great until my wife went to open the dresser drawer and the knob fell off, we also observed the bathtub drained slowly (it was no fun with dirty water coming up around your ankles everytime we took a shower) and finally the bathroom fan not working properly. After complaining on 2 separate occations, being promised it would be taken care of then returning to room and realizing it had not, I decided it was time to take my 3rd complaint to a manager. I delt with Andreina (front office manager). It took me a long time to explain my issues. At the time the hotel lobby was a mad house with people checking out along with hotel staff bringing their issues to her. She was very patient, pleasent and professional. She investigated my issues and informed me that everytime I complained the information was put in the computer but just not passed along to the maintenance dept. As a consolation for the issues she gave me and my wife one extra night on the house. I was impressed with her gentle and kind attitude. I travel a great deal with my wife and children, I'm a firm believer that mistakes will happen but its about how you handle them. Because of how she handled ours me and my wife will be returning. Lastly Sam (female) at the front desk smiled from ear to ear and gave everyone I saw her deal with including myself outstanding customer service. Cleaning staff was very friendly and polite. You could not walk down the hallway without them smileing, saying hi and making sure you had everything you needed. Compared to what the other hotels charged just 5 minutes away this hotel is without a doubt a good deal.

Room Tip: In my opinion the west tower seems to be somewhat older with old amenities, I was somewhat dissapoin...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xavier C
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Xavier C,
We’re happy that you chose to stay with us to celebrate this special occasion. We’re so pleased that Andreina took good care of your concerns in a pleasant and professional way -- we promise our guests to Make It Right. Thank you for acknowledging Sam’s great smile and service. It means a lot to these two team members to be recognized here on TripAdvisor. We hope you will return soon!
Neal Spivack, Director of Rooms, neal (dot) spivack (at) hilton (dot) com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,081)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Love the views and friendly staff. The actual facilities are in need of major renovations. The ninth floor greeted us with missing baseboards almost as soon as we exited the elevator. The halls were battered and the bathroom tile was dirty in all the corners. A shame to see a gem of a property in such disrepair.

Room Tip: Ask for main tower. Avoid west wing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ReluctantFlyerGA
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Katpowell,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on the comfort and appointment of our property and we will use your comments as we plan for ongoing improvements. We’re pleased you enjoyed our spectacular views and our friendly staff. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina before our cruise out of Port Everglades. Check-in and check-out went smoothly and the staff were very friendly. We had a lovely room which faced the pool, which was very beautiful. However, the pool is open 24/7, so it's hard to stay asleep when kids are playing late into the night...like 2am. The hotel was surrounded by a walkway where fancy yachts were docked and I want to stress again, this hotel was beautiful. The Hotel offers free shuttle service to the beach which is not within walking distance. We had great poolside service and their Key Lime pie was excellent. From our experience, this Hotel tends to cater to large groups/convention types...100's of high school cheerleaders were arriving as we were departing. If we cruise out of Fort Lauderdale again, we would choose another hotel on the beach.

Room Tip: Pool is beautiful, but noisy at night.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kimmykat07,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write a review. We’re pleased you enjoyed your room, the pool and the waterway. Fort Lauderdale has more yachts per capital than anywhere in the U.S.! We hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

No breakfast. Room was warm, air was not cold. Ants were in the bathroom. Older hotel that in my opinion needs renovating. My room was not n the main building, meaning I had to go outside to separate building to access my room. Bathroom has no ventilation and the door automatically closes.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dlwalton81

Dear Dlwalton81,
We appreciate your business and your candid feedback. We’d like to address the air conditioning and the pest issue in your guest room and for that we need your room number.
We will reach out to you via TripAdvisor to get that. We will keep your comments in mind as we make plans to renovate our bathrooms. We hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had a package delivered to the hotel and had proof it was delivered, Both the bellman and concierge told me it wasn't there and made no effort to find it. Only after I called the General Manager's office did the package show up.

The grout in the shower was moldy. The first towel I started to use in the shower had a big stain in the middle of it.

The hotel is dated and does not meet the standards of a Hilton property. As a Diamond rewards member, I certainly expected better.

I will not be back to this location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
ExecutiveOfficeHFLM, Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear John G,
We appreciate your loyalty as a Hilton Diamonds member and deeply regret that we did not respond diligently to your package request. We have counseled the team members involved. We have also reported the shower problem so that it can be remedied. We hope you will give us another opportunity for a better impression.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I specifically asked the reservation agent about all fees including in the booking specifically for pets, internet, breakfast and parking. It wasn't until i received my email confirmation stating that my reservation can not be cancelled and there is an addition $21.00/day parking rate. They refused to fix their error even after being asked. They stated there was a microwave; NO MICROWAVE, the stairwells stink so bad like urine, the elevators were broken, no breakfast and NO wifi. The bathroom lock was broken and handing off the door and the cabinets were all busted and peeling apart. disgraceful. it seemed like a motel you rent by the hour. The staff had no intention of resolving the parking fee issue as i received an email from the night manager saying that the fees r mandatory. IF THEY ARE MANDOTORY THEN U NEED TO DISCLOSE THEM ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE ASKED!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Jennifer L

Dear Kyle H,
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. We checked with Hilton Reservations and they have accurate information about the fees and amenities for our hotel; we’ve asked them to research to whom you talked so that we can prevent recurrence and surprises. We have a few microwaves available upon request. We reported the specific issues you described so that we clean and repair. We have emailed you and called you to discuss and Make It Right.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My review is probably a little unfair given we only stayed in the hotel for around 8 hours having arrived via Fort Lauderdale Intl. Airport after a 18 hour door-to-door trip from the UK. However, I decided to write a brief review to share a few thoughts. My score of 3 `average' reflects the positive that the room was a reasonable size with two good size queen beds that comfortably slept myself, my wife and my 16 year old daughter. The check-in process after midnight was OK however we were staying with another family, had booked rooms close to one another via Bookings.com and the other family were initially allocated some some way from our room with a room that did not suit their needs with two adults and two teenage kids. After escalating, an alternative room was allocated just down the corridor from ours but the oversights resulted in unwelcome tension and aggravation that could have easily been avoided and was poorly received after a long transatlantic trip. The rooms are well presented on first glance however there are clear signs of ageing and I am sure that if I had stayed there longer than 1 night this would have become more of a niggle based on the Hilton being a quality branded hotel. The biggest gripe, however, was that when we checked in all the bars were closed and there was no where to get a drink outside of a vending machine. We explained to the reception staff that we had been travelling for some time but received nothing more than directions to the said machine - this was not really acceptable. There was also no offer of helping us with our luggage to the rooms and we spent 10 minutes trying to find a parking spot before being re-directed to the over-flow car park.The hotel is fairly close to the airport, although we had real issues navigating our way to it, as this was our first time to Fort Lauderdale, there is major road construction and the GPS did not recognise the changes (a journey that should have taken 15 minutes took almost 45 - make sure you have your bearings before you head off from the airport). Putting this aside, I would not have thought it uncommon for travellers to use this hotel as a stop-over however the late night facilities appear to be non-existent. On reflection, the hotel was mediocre from my brief experience but the customer service and attention to detail appeared to be lacking. When we returned to Fort Lauderdale, after our 3 week stay in Florida, we stayed at The Aqua Hotel closer to the beach. I plan to review this at a later stage and will award 5 stars based on both its room presentation and excellent customer service, amongst other things. I am not sure the same can be said about the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina. I won't be rushing back but equally if I was forced to stay it wouldn't be the end of the earth - very `middle-of-the-road' but not the convenient stop-over to fully refresh ourselves before heading off on a trip around Florida.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family