“Aaah, back again!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“Aaah, back again!”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My third stay at the Harbor Beach in as many years. Still an experience that does not disappoint. At my 5 pm check-in with friendly staff, the requested king room was not available, so I was upgraded to a double queen on a top floor on the beach side. No complaint here. I spent every free minute on the balcony with book and drink, soaking up the rising sun and noisy waves hitting the beach. Bed- and bath rooms are well appointed, the bed is comfortable (do I need six pillows?), the A/C does its job well and relatively quietly. 3030 Restaurant is top notch (12 pp private party dining in one of the side rooms off the restaurant). Attended a conference at the hotel for three days and all breakfast and lunch meals were of good quality.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Beach side gives you a nice sunrise and the obvious ocean view, city side has...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Beachfront rooms have awesome views and beautiful sunrises! Would definitely recommend this resort the staff are fabulous and extremely attentive and polite and all of them always greeted us with a smile! Wish we could have stayed longer. Will most certainly return!

• Stayed October 2012
tampa, fl
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

Very nice resort hotel; service was always very personal. Clean. Attentive staff. Excellent gym, spa, restaurant choices. Beautiful beach property with ecology focus.
I would recommend for business or resort travel.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tampatraveler3
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We visited this hotel recently for a family gathering, and I would happily recommend it to anyone. The very best thing about it is the staff-everyone from the desk clerks to the housekeepers were eager to please and very efficient in their work. It was a signal pleasure to deal with the entire staff here!

Room:
When I got off the elevator and discovered that our room was next to the ice machine, I was dismayed but decided to check out the sound before asking for a room change. I was pleasantly surprised to hear-absolutely nothing. The room was completely quiet; you'd never know there was machinery right next door. The room itself was spacious and had good closet and drawer space. The rooms have balconies and we kept our door open in the evening to enjoy the breeze. The bathroom was a bit tight but quite acceptable. Toiletries were good quality (I took one of the bottles of ginger orange lotion home with me-it made me smell like a muffin!). Water pressure in the shower was good. Towels were okay. I guess the days of big plush hotel towels are long gone. The bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the foam pillows as opposed to feather ones.

Location:
The hotel is right on the beach. It is about half a mile(?) from the Ft Lauderdale AIA strip, though, and nothing is really within walking distance.

Facilities:
The hotel is in excellent shape. I didn't see any worn carpet or peeling paint or wallpaper anywhere. It is kept very clean and inviting at all times. The decor is expensive-hotel standard, nothing thrilling but quite pleasant.

The pool was warm and pleasant, although I imagine it gets crowded during peak times. There are plenty of chairs around the pool.

We had the use of a couple of cabanas, and that was great. The cabana is about the size of the bathroom in the room, but it has a fridge, a sink with running water, a big screen tv, and a shower, as well as plenty of chairs. Ours was on the beach and no one else was using a cabana nearby, so it felt very private. What the cabana doesn't have is internet connectivity. Other than that, it was delightful.

We used the gym a couple of times and were very happy with it. It's huge and has tons of machines as well as an exercise studio for classes. We had no trouble getting to the machines we wanted to use.

I visited the spa, which was quite an indulgence! I didn't have a massage but I did enjoy a steambath, sauna, and whirlpool, and then a long doze in a comfortable lounge chair. I wish I could do that more often! The spa was immaculately clean and well equipped.

Dining:
We took most of our meals in the Riva restaurant, including both meals we paid for and meals that were part of our family celebration. The food was good and fresh, but I wouldn't call it exciting. Everything was at the correct temperature and attractively plated and presented. (We had some terrific prime rib one night.) Service was excellent, and we are not an easy bunch. :-) Prices were high, as one would expect in a luxury hotel-the least expensive breakfast was, I think, $15. There is a Starbucks on site, though, for a less expensive option. We also had a couple of meals from the poolside restaurant, which were also quite expensive and ok but nothing exciting.

Quibbles:
Parking is $25 a day and there is nowhere else nearby to park. Internet is free in the lobby and $13 a day elsewhere. I am really, really over charges for internet. This should be standard in luxury hotels as it is in lower-priced chains. There is a business center, but there are no free computers. You can, however, print your boarding pass free on a designated computer.

This is not in any way the hotel's fault, but I was angered and saddened by the amount of trash I found on the beach. There were plenty of trash cans on the hotel's beach, so that wasn't the problem. How hard is it to pick up after yourselves, people?

I would be pleased to visit the Harbor Beach again. It was a weekend of pure pleasure!

Room Tip: The rooms next to the ice machines are not a problem!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a 5 day conference. No question it was a beautiful hotel with wonderful hospitality!!!!

We got a package rate for the hotel, which made the room acceptably priced, but the cost for everything else was very high. Pizza was $20, breakfast buffet came to $30 per person including tax and tip, water bottle in the rooms were $6; self parking was $25 per day; internet - had it not been covered - was $12.95 per day.

It was quite a hike to the nearest convenience store to help us just keep the costs down, so come prepared!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SarahBG
HarborBeachMarriott, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Thanks for your posting - glad that you enjoyed your stay. On your next visit be sure to take advantage of our Happy Hours for better pricing options.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Our check-in was friendly, quick and efficient and we were upgraded to an oceanview due to our Platinum status. The room had a great view, was clean, but a standard hotel room. The advertisement of the resort is misleading, 'secluded on 16 waterfront acres". The outside pictures taken of the hotel showed a resort by itself when, in fact, there were condos on both sides and behind the hotel. The beach was steps from the hotel but the sand was very soft and difficult to walk on and stopped us from our usual daily walks. Swimming was also difficult because the sand was so soft you immediately sunk down inches as soon as you walked into the water and it felt like it was sucking you in! The water was shallow enough for people to wade in a good distance but few people were in the water. We had the buffet for breakfast and lunch at Sea Level. Both restaurants were good but expensive. We did not eat at 3030. The pool area has plenty of chairs but we found upkeep lacking compared to other Marriott resorts, particularly Marriott's Marco Island resort which is pristine. There are no lifeguards on duty and little supervision of the area besides the wait staff. It is a 15 minute walk to Las Olas Blvd where there are several bars and restaurants. If you want to go the the part of Las Olas across the bridge with upscale shopping and dining you have to take a taxi, trolley or bus. The Galleria Mall is also a quick bus ride. There is a bus stop less than 5 minutes from the hotel that picks up at 10 and 40 after each hour. The trolley only runs Friday-Monday so we took the bus or taxi. Hard to get anywhere by taxi for less than $20. We did not rent a car because the airport is 15 minutes away and a $20 cab ride. Disappointed that there was no airport shuttle service or a concierge lounge typical of most Marriott hotels. We enjoyed our stay and found the service good but would not rank this as a top Marriott resort.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms gave a great view of the ocean as well as many cruise ships and cargo ships.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, glad that you enjoyed your stay in your oceanfront room.. I would be happy to speak further with you regarding your additional comments, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I attended a national conference here, and the hotel did a really great job of hosting all of us. My room was clean and modern. The hotel has several places to eat. (I ate just about every meal on site. Watch out for the $4 iced tea, though.) This resort is located right on the beach, but I didn't make it down there because it rained during my entire visit. It's a pricey place, but if that's what you're looking for, this resort will suit your needs.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business