“Full of Contradictions” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newington, Connecticut
“Full of Contradictions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just returned home from 5 nights at this hotel. We ate dinner at the Sea Vue Restaurant on our first night and the food and service were both excellent! Unfortunately, it started raining and there is no covered route back to the main hotel so we got drenched as the restaurant does not provide umbrellas for guests.The hotel's location is perfect, the beach gorgeous, the pool area lovely, towels are plentiful, the rooms comfortable.....but.....the $27/day parking rate is painful! Don't stay here during any conventions or large group meetings. Our first night's sleep was rudely interrupted with someone knocking/hitting on our door. The second night we were awakened at 4 AM by a woman banging on a nearby door, screaming obscenities. And on our third night, we returned to our room just before midnight to find our room had never been cleaned! We were unable to print boarding passes due to some kind of computer problem in the business center, so we asked the concierge if he would print them. He only works until 9 pm and at 9:01 told us to go back in the morning to try again! Same glitch in the business center the next morning. A smiling Michael, at the front desk, printed them for me.

3 Thank Lizzieswish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
Cape Coral
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Let me say that me and my husband (white) have been staying at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort for almost a 1/4 of a century. It WAS my favorite resort in the whole world. I have stayed at the hotel itself many times and have had brunch there countless times. I never really had a bad experience there in almost 25 years until this past weekend when my dear girlfriend (black) took me there for brunch for my birthday (it was my suggestion since I loved the Marriott).
My friend made the Sunday brunch reservation by phone at the Riva restaurant at the Harbor Beach Marriott and specifically asked for a table by the window. She was told no problem, they were not really all that booked. When we got there my friend announced herself and said she had a reservation. The fellow that was behind the counter (dark haired, white guy, probably in his early 30’s) took one look at my black friend and announced that he does not have a window table available and showed us to a really lousy table for 6 that was looking at a wall. I said the table was not acceptable. I looked around the restaurant and saw 2 tables against the window for 4 completely empty. I asked that we be seated at one of those. The white fellow’s response was that THOSE tables had a reservation. Well, I said we ALSO had a reservation. He then hemmed and hawed and said that THOSE reservations were made 6 months ago. COME ON, if you believe that I have some swamp land in Louisiana I want to sell you! You mean 2 separate reservations were made 6 months ago for a not very busy weekend at the Marriott – BULL! Also, as far as I know they don’t keep track of when a reservation was made, only the party’s name, the date and time and possibly the phone number.
OK, we spent a half hour getting to the Marriott, were paying an absurd amount for parking, my friend had a flight back to the Northeast later that afternoon so we decided to stay. We sat down and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally after about 15 minutes my husband flagged down the nasty 30 year old white guy and asked that a server be sent to our table. There were other parties seated AFTER us that were already served with orange juice, mimosas, coffee and champagne. We had nothing.
Finally, only after we asked, a very distracted, flustered waitress shows up at our table. She pours me a mimosa. My black friend wanted orange juice and my husband wanted coffee. The waitress did not have these but said she would get them. 15 minutes later we are still waiting . . . In the meantime I took a walk around the place. The 2 window tables were now occupied by 2 separate white couples. We had a party of 3 and they were a party of 2. The tables were for a party of 4.
At this point my husband had had enough. He said let’s just leave and go elsewhere so we can get some lunch before my friend needs to fly off. He caught up with the nasty 30 something white guy and told him we were leaving because of a total lack of service. He also told the 2 females behind the reception desk the same thing. Nobody seemed to care and no apologies were offered.
I felt so bad and so embarrassed about the whole thing. My friend (black) was treating me and my husband to brunch for my birthday and because of my suggestion to go to the Marriott, this is what we encountered. She was a really good sport about it and we went to the Outback and had a fantastic lunch. The staff at the Marriott should take some lessons from the Outback. There we were all treated with respect and excellent service. The lunch at the Outback, for about 70% less in price, was great. I thought racial discrimination was illegal. It’s just too much of a coincidence that me and my husband (elderly white) have NEVER had a bad experience at this Marriott for 25 years yet when we were accompanied by my middle aged black friend we were treated like dirt. SHAME ON THE MARRIOTT!!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank funtraveling1
Patrick M, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Our role as Hosts of Marriott is to make our guests feel at home during their stay with us. It is not the bricks and mortar of our beautiful hotels that create our atmosphere; rather, it is how we treat each and every guest that we come into contact with. We strive to give our guests an experience which has them returning again and again. Whatever challenges that may arise; our goal is to deliver extraordinary service by anticipating guests’ needs and paying attention to details. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. At Marriott we strive to ensure equal employment opportunity as well as the service we deliver. Unfortunately we are very limited and only have two tables inside the restaurant that have unobstructed views. I apologize that those two tables were held for weekly repeat diners and we should have communicated that to you in advance. For future reference we do have 18 outside tables with unobstructed views that would have met you needs. If this is something you are interested in in the future please call us at 954-765-3100.
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I attended a business conference during the last week in February. The resort ranked high in all areas. The food was superb, even the daily wines at some of the bars was very tolerable and even surprisingly good. The staff was friendly and helpful, the workout facility and Spa areas were way above par and the outdoor eating areas were able to accommodate us very well whether for our needs as a large group or if it was for a quite dinner for just my wife and I.

We would stay there again without question.

When we checked in we were not happy with our room location but they were willing and able to change that for us.

Randy And Kathy C Des Moines, IA

Room Tip: Get high enough up so you get a view that is not the roof top of the lower part of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Harbor Beach before and after a Holland America cruise. Everything about the hotel was perfect for us. We were upgraded upon arrival to an Ocean View room which was superb. We liked the fact that you could walk out of the hotel straight on to the beach and along to the harbour. It was also useful having a Starbucks inside the hotel on the ground floor.

When we returned after our cruise we were instantly remembered by Cat on reception. We were upgraded again to a wonderful room on the 10th floor overlooking the beach and the harbour. She was so helpful and friendly. In all our travels we have never met such a helpful friendly member of staff on reception. Thank you Cat - hope to see you again some day maybe!

3 Thank TandMHDev
Timonium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was indeed an excellent Marriott in all aspects except they charge for parking and WiFi.
Rooms were excellent as was the bed. Pool and outdoor areas were fantastic. Staff could not have been nicer

Room Tip: Be aware of added fees for parking ($25 - 32) and for WiFi ($14 - 18)
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Spa is excellent. Both me and my husband got massages that were amazing, and we're both super picky when it comes to massages.

The outdoor restaurant surprisingly had food better than some of the area restaurants, with good strong drinks. After trying some highly rated local restaurants, and always ended up back at the hotel's.

Friendly and attentive staff. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia P
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I didn't stay at the hotel, but did have spa services at this hotel and was very impressed. It's a lovely spa, with it's own pool where you can have lunch. The men's locker room had its own jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna. Very, very nice. Carlette was my massage therapist, and she was quite excellent; one of the best massages I have had in quite some time. I highly recommend her. Enjoy!