“Amazing Hotel! Friendly staff, great beaches, all water sports available.”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 September 2009

As a Florida resident, I have stayed in many beach resorts, but I was very impressed with this Hotel. I found out about this hotel after becoming a Gold member with the Marriotts. I felt like I was on vacation in the Caribbean!!! I didnt leave the hotel the whole time. From great dinning ,to friendly staff, to many water sports to pick from, crytal clear beach, huge pool, unbelievable ocean front room view. This Hotel is now one of my favorites and I am looking forward for my next stay soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank cecir

Reviewed 25 August 2009

My best friend and I decided to get away and enjoy some relaxation on the beach. As a travel agent, she was able to book the hotel at a discounted rate; however, the extremely over priced food and other amenities made up the difference . . . plus some!

The beach was beautiful. The privacy and convenience was unbeatable! We stayed during the weekday, between that and the location, it made for a fairly quiet and relaxing atmosphere. The staff was friendly for the most part, especially the bar tenders downstairs. :-) However, the cleaning staff was sometimes hard to understand due to language barriers. Our rooms were clean and had gorgeous ocean front views. The website pictures matched exactly to everything we viewed once there. That is always a plus. I have been places in which that has totally not been the case. I visited the fitness room and the spa. I loved the spa. PRICEY, but I was in awe with the services. There are several areas on the property to hang out with plenty of privacy. We walked the beach at night, hung out in the hot tub, and chilled by the fire pits. It was awesome! Now the downside . . .

There was some construction occurring at that time. It wasn't too much of a nuisance, but of course, we could have lived without it. I couldn't believe that nothing in the business center was complimentary. There was no free wireless connection. Do not purchase anything that's in your room. It is so tempting, but the cost will disappoint you at the end. All this may not have been as much of an issue, if we were in walking distance of some type of convenience store. The location is great, if you have the funds to purchase everything from within the hotel or vehicle. Even then, it cost and arm and a leg to park the dang thing. We were on a somewhat of a budget, but I believe some of these prices were astronomical for most middle class Americans.

Overall, we had a great stay, but next time, we’ll try to be a little “richer” before we make reservations. :-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joyful_Free_Loved
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We travel to Fort Lauderdale four times a year and have tried 3 other hotels. Even though there is construction on the site, its very confined and not too noticeable.
The room, bed and bathroom were great. The hotel was very clean with the exception of some leftover room service plates in the hallway for a few hours.
No restrictions on beach towels or beach chairs and tables. Others limit beach towels and charge for beach chairs.
Wide and private beach, clean.
Decent happy hours.
The only draw back was , you couldnt get tavern food like burgers at the beach bar after five pm.
The fitness center was unbelievable. Fresh fruit in the center during your workout. Awesome machines.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Valet staff was very rude and unhelpful. They will not help us unload the luggage when they found out we will be doing self parking. I request them to get a bell person for us to off load our bags, he just point to the bell desk and said over there and left. It was his attitude that really turned me off as if I am bothering him, this gave me a very negative impression of how this hotel was managed. I have stayed in many Marriot properties, including New York, San Diego and Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach. Always have great services from Marriott staff.

Mia at Concerige Desk was very helpful and a delight to talk to. The room was exactly like other Marriotts but clean. No free WiFi, they do have a bank of computer for guest to check in their flights. Otherwise you will have to pay for internet access. The pool was very crowded with Cruise passengers and was very cloudy due to the amount of people in the pool. The beach was very nice. Parking was $22.00 per day, if you want to save a few bucks do self parking with in & out previllege so you don;t have to tip the rude valet staff.

I will not return to this Marriott again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Dana-Mama
Reviewed 18 August 2009

When checking out they charged me a daily parking fee of $22.00. This is an astronomical ripoff!! Also front desk staff including the manager was extremely rude! I will never stay here again!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Let me start by saying that we were not bothered at all by the construction- and we even had a room overlooking the contruction! We were up before they started and returned to the room after they had ended. We couldn't hear noise from the beach or pool area. The rooms were comfortable, spotless and modernized. We ate breakfast at Riva most mornings and thought the buffet was great. I would recommend doing the buffet since most meals are only a couple dollars less and it's all on the buffet for the most part. We also loved the convenience of having a Starbucks for something quick. We rented a car because we wanted to explore Cityplace in West Palm Beach (recommended!!!) and the Sawgrass Mills Mall. We thought it was totally worth it to rent one since they are not close and cab cost would be outrageous. We also at at Mango's on Las Olas Boulevard and loved it. We also did Italian night at Riva and thought the food was great. I am picky when it comes to sub par Italian food and expected it to be just ok, but we were pleasantly surprised. The fitness center is truly beautiful and enjoyed working out each morning. We loved that there was ice water available around the resort, and the complementary cookies and lemonade is a cute gesture. Don't worry about packing towels because they are provided for you. The ambience at night is very relaxing and romantic with fire pits and comfy couches; however, if you want to sit around the fire get there early because people sit themselves in front of it and don't move all night. We did go down to the beach at night and sit on lounge chairs, and it's just so peacefulI also enjoyed sitting on the balcony before bed reading a book, listening to the waves, and watching ships come in. The 2 gift shops are nice- I bought a cute cover-up at one! The only one criticism (for lack of a better word) that I had was the amount of unsupervised children running around the pool area. I lost count the number of times I was hit by a ball or splashed in the face while "relaxing" in the pool. There was even one day when a couple of children were filling plastic cups with the complementary drinking water and throwing it (cups included!) at people in the pool while their parents were sunning themselves. I know that it's a family friendly resort, but come on. So, overall it was a terrific stay and will be returning hopefully sooner rather than later!!

• Stayed: August 2009
3  Thank HCjess
Reviewed 11 August 2009

First let me say I am a tripadvisor junkie, so the whole time we were on the trip I was formulating this review in my head. And actually - after reading the review right before this (gems4me) I find that to be pretty aligned with info I would have provided. So here's the additional information I'll share...

Renting a car: My husband and I were there to relax and not tool about town (other than going out to dinner each night). So other than the airport cab fare, we took a roundtrip taxi 3 out of 4 nights of our trip. We never spent more than $25 round trip, which is approximately the cost of parking at the hotel. Right there, I would say it's not worth it to rent a car if that's all you'd be using it for. But you might be wondering about going to get groceries to save money on food... Well, if you trust our analysis (and we're pretty nerdie about this stuff), we figured we spent about an extra $20 per day of the trip without a grocery trip. It just so happened that we had dinner at a restaurant right next to a Publix, one night so we picked up some cereal, bananas, and snacks for about $15. So if you have more people to feed and will be eating breakfast/lunch/dinner daily, then you might see it's worth it to rent a car if you can get it for $20 or less per day. Up to you, but I like the convenience of cabbing it - then we don't have to know where we're going or park. :)

Food: I spent a lot of time researching this on the Fort Lauderdale forums before heading out on our trip. (PS - this is highly recommended!) The experts really were knowledgeable and did not let me down with their recommendations! We had dinner at Canyon Southwest Cafe the first night and it was really awesome. I'll post a separate review there. The second night we ate at 3030 and found it also to be really good and worth the price. We also had dinner at Coco Asian Bistro (really great menu and great food!) and wrapped up the trip at Casablanca Cafe. Casablanca food was spectacular and the view from the second floor balcony was awesome! As far as breakfast, for convenience we ate at the Riva buffet the first day and I was happy with my made to order omelet and the fresh fruit. My husband was less pleased with his selections. This did not add up to a $50 bill so we sought other options the next day - namely the Bahia Cabana based on other recommendations. It's true that this place is no-nonsense and the food is surprisingly good for the price. Dropped our bill in half just by walking 5 minutes from the hotel. The other days we ate our cereal with milk and coffee from Starbucks. Oh - we asked to get on the waiting list for the (free) room fridge but never got one, hence getting the cold stuff onsite. Food by the pool is okay. You are paying for convenience here for sure. My husband kept commenting on the beer prices though - $5.25 for a bud light. If you're a drinker then you definitely would find value in buying your own offsite and having a cooler at the pool or in your room.

Pool: The hotel really is nice and we found NO problems with the construction. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any activity over the weekend, but it's a tradeoff then with all the people. The place is definitely more crowded on the weekend than during the week. If you are a couple and have trouble with sharing the pool with kids - think about booking your trip for weekdays. We didn't have any problems with this though and were always able to find a pool chair & umbrella. Our main objective was to sit by the pool and in the pool to relax - mission accomplished. My only gripe about the pool is that you can't see the ocean from the pool area. Real bummer for me - I don't like the heat and mess of a beach, but I love to see the endless water...

Service/Amenities: My husband and I booked a non-view room for $109 with a Marriott Rewards promotion and crossed our fingers for an upgrade. Lucky us - when we checked in we got an ocean view room in 1035. Unlucky for us was the fact that we were right next to the elevators/ice machine. The door surprisingly blocked out the hum and general noise, but it did nothing for the (loud!) conversations that frequently accompanied these areas. Our first night we kept waking up to some crying drama vignettes in the hallway. Nothing big, and they were quick, but enough to wake us up and the voices were crystal clear. So we asked to be moved and that there were no other view rooms available. We waited another night (and more hallway drama) and went back to ask one more time and were successful. The front desk was very helpful (thank you Mami!) and got us 1129 - MUCH BETTER. The view was great, the room seemed to be bigger somehow, and best of all - we were far enough from the ice machine to sleep through the night for the rest of our trip. The only other thing I'll add is that the first day our room didn't have a "do not disturb" tag so we got an early wakeup call from housekeeping and asked them to return. We were at the pool until 5pm and they came back at 5:30pm!! We asked them to come back later, and then called specifically to have our room cleaned when we went to dinner at 7pm. We got back around 9:30pm and to our amazement the room was not clean! So we called, gave some feedback about this, and hung out on the beautiful patio while they cleaned our room. I've never encountered this at a Marriott before - usually they're much better than that, so I'll count it as an isolated experience. But had I been spending more for the stay, I probably would have been more disappointed...

Overall - we were happy with our trip and consider it great value to have only paid $109 a night for an ocean view room. The room is on par with most Marriott's, but I wouldn't call it luxury. We have stayed in luxury resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.) and the service and amenities are not quite that standard. But is this nice enough for us to be comfortable? Absolutely.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple