“Don't expect the usual Marriott Elite Treatment!”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 September 2009

First off we checked in and went into our room and we could hear our neighbors having a conversation as if they were in our room. It was a connecting room and apparently has no insulation. I called the front desk and they said they didn't have any other rooms. I asked if there were any other Marriott properties in the area and they said yes there were, but they didn't know their numbers. So we decided to hope for the best as we had just returned from being overseas and needed some rest. . . .
Well our neighbors came home around midnight talking and laughing and it trully was as if they were sharing a room with us. We called downstairs again and asked again to speak with a manager. We never did speak with a manager, but they called us back about 10 minutes later and found us another room. It was across from the ice machine, but at least we were alone in our room! The next night the same thing happened with this room, but we too tired after not sleeping the night before so we had the hotel send up security to ask them to be quiet even though they were only talking. So I would never recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are booking 2 adjoining rooms. We are Platinum with Marriott and have never in all our years with them been treated like this.
Also the website says poolside restaurant under construction . . .that's not a problem, the problem is that means they have porta potties at the pool!
I could go on and on, needless to say . . . STAY AWAY! OVERRRATED!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wilkerrae
Write a ReviewReviews (3,067)

Reviewed 6 September 2009

My husband and I wanted to get away from home for the night and we live in Fort Lauderdale. We're Marriott Gold Members and decided to stay at the Harbor Beach last night to enjoy the fresh ocean air and a stroll on the beach. The Harbor Beach Marriott Resort has gone through some wonderful upgrades and looks great.
We arrived last night around 8pm and the lobby was so full of life and laughter from the bars and restaurants. Outside the upholstered furniture was strategically placed for privacy and catching the ocean breezes. The full moon was gorgeous. At the end of the huge patio area they've planted a strip running from one side to the other of tropical plants that divide the beach area from the patio area. There are 3 boardwalks that go through the 50 foot strip of tropical plants to the beach. The beach is very wide and well kept. I got up early this morning and watched the professional crew comb the sand flat and lay out the lawn chairs, umbrellas, trampolines, jet skis for single and double rides, parasailing, ping pong, volleyball, catamarans, and tiki bars. I even saw chairs set up for a wedding on the beach.
My husband and I decided we don't have to leave town to have such a wonderful experience. When we checked in there were no more oceanfront rooms on the higher floors (15 floors), so the front desk clerk called and cleared us to have a suite. What a surprise and a delight. You can't beat the Marriott beds with the elevated bed, huge down comforter and overstuffed pillows.
At the risk of running on too much about a one night stay, I recommend this Marriott to everyone. You can walk from your room in this safe area across the street to Coconuts Restaurant or just walk down the Fort Lauderdale strip to enjoy the nightlife. If you really like walking the Marriott Beach Place nightlife is not too far way. There is a trolley that stops at Coconuts that can take you over to Las Olas Blvd for numerous shops and restaurants. If you want a leisurely, inexpensive evening on the water then grab one of the Yellow Water Taxis and stay on board as long as you want while it makes its rounds to different Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal stops.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChawLassie
Reviewed 4 September 2009

As a Florida resident, I have stayed in many beach resorts, but I was very impressed with this Hotel. I found out about this hotel after becoming a Gold member with the Marriotts. I felt like I was on vacation in the Caribbean!!! I didnt leave the hotel the whole time. From great dinning ,to friendly staff, to many water sports to pick from, crytal clear beach, huge pool, unbelievable ocean front room view. This Hotel is now one of my favorites and I am looking forward for my next stay soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank cecir
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My best friend and I decided to get away and enjoy some relaxation on the beach. As a travel agent, she was able to book the hotel at a discounted rate; however, the extremely over priced food and other amenities made up the difference . . . plus some!

The beach was beautiful. The privacy and convenience was unbeatable! We stayed during the weekday, between that and the location, it made for a fairly quiet and relaxing atmosphere. The staff was friendly for the most part, especially the bar tenders downstairs. :-) However, the cleaning staff was sometimes hard to understand due to language barriers. Our rooms were clean and had gorgeous ocean front views. The website pictures matched exactly to everything we viewed once there. That is always a plus. I have been places in which that has totally not been the case. I visited the fitness room and the spa. I loved the spa. PRICEY, but I was in awe with the services. There are several areas on the property to hang out with plenty of privacy. We walked the beach at night, hung out in the hot tub, and chilled by the fire pits. It was awesome! Now the downside . . .

There was some construction occurring at that time. It wasn't too much of a nuisance, but of course, we could have lived without it. I couldn't believe that nothing in the business center was complimentary. There was no free wireless connection. Do not purchase anything that's in your room. It is so tempting, but the cost will disappoint you at the end. All this may not have been as much of an issue, if we were in walking distance of some type of convenience store. The location is great, if you have the funds to purchase everything from within the hotel or vehicle. Even then, it cost and arm and a leg to park the dang thing. We were on a somewhat of a budget, but I believe some of these prices were astronomical for most middle class Americans.

Overall, we had a great stay, but next time, we’ll try to be a little “richer” before we make reservations. :-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joyful_Free_Loved
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We travel to Fort Lauderdale four times a year and have tried 3 other hotels. Even though there is construction on the site, its very confined and not too noticeable.
The room, bed and bathroom were great. The hotel was very clean with the exception of some leftover room service plates in the hallway for a few hours.
No restrictions on beach towels or beach chairs and tables. Others limit beach towels and charge for beach chairs.
Wide and private beach, clean.
Decent happy hours.
The only draw back was , you couldnt get tavern food like burgers at the beach bar after five pm.
The fitness center was unbelievable. Fresh fruit in the center during your workout. Awesome machines.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Valet staff was very rude and unhelpful. They will not help us unload the luggage when they found out we will be doing self parking. I request them to get a bell person for us to off load our bags, he just point to the bell desk and said over there and left. It was his attitude that really turned me off as if I am bothering him, this gave me a very negative impression of how this hotel was managed. I have stayed in many Marriot properties, including New York, San Diego and Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach. Always have great services from Marriott staff.

Mia at Concerige Desk was very helpful and a delight to talk to. The room was exactly like other Marriotts but clean. No free WiFi, they do have a bank of computer for guest to check in their flights. Otherwise you will have to pay for internet access. The pool was very crowded with Cruise passengers and was very cloudy due to the amount of people in the pool. The beach was very nice. Parking was $22.00 per day, if you want to save a few bucks do self parking with in & out previllege so you don;t have to tip the rude valet staff.

I will not return to this Marriott again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Dana-Mama
Reviewed 18 August 2009

When checking out they charged me a daily parking fee of $22.00. This is an astronomical ripoff!! Also front desk staff including the manager was extremely rude! I will never stay here again!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends