“Would give it another shot...”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, United States
“Would give it another shot...”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Overall the hotel stay was decent. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, after my first night, no one came to clean my room. I had plenty of towels and had no intention of having them change my sheets, but it would have been nice to come back from work and have the bed made, the trash emptied and the coffee replaced. There were two days where the internet service was down, which impacted my stay since I was there for work. That posed a big challenge as I had quite a bit to do. To make up for the inconvenience the hotel did provide my coworker breakfast passes for the two of us for the remainder of our stay. And I admit I was very surprised at the price of parking for guests. $23/day seems rather high to stay there. I spent my mornings enjoying the sunrise and then having breakfast in the lobby restaurant. The food was fair. Service was good overall. The staff that waited on me were friendly and attentive. I hope it doesn't cause anyone to get rid of the birds in the area, but I will say the amount of birds in the patio area was a bit much. They had a tendency to steal the sugar packets from the unoccupied tables and defecate on the chairs. The view from my room was spectacular! And the room had all of the comforts necessary to make the stay overall a nice one. Bedding was comfortable, as was the bed. The towels were fluffy and the water pressure was good! Because of the location, the convenient beach access and the views, as well as the service in general, I would consider staying again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Amy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed two nights here because the resort we planned on staying in was booked solid, so we waited it out here until we could get rooms there. We were pleasantly surprised. We had a partial ocean view room for only 109 bucks over Thanksgiving weekend. The room was very nice and the bed was awesome, very comfortable. The view over the harbor at night time was spectacular, and we appreciated that we could open the sliding door to the mini balcony - and leave it open for fresh air all night and still be comfortable. The staff seemed pleasant enough. The clientele here seem to be mostly cruise ship passengers arriving from or departing to their ships. So it's mostly a suburban-type conservative, older crowd here. As a full resort I'm not sure this place would fill the bill - even though it seems to have all the amenities for that type of crowd. But as a great room for a reasonable price in an excellent location this hotel filled the bill for us. If we needed a place to stay in a pinch we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ivanhny
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good all stores are with in walk about .5 of a mile if you look to get last mim thinks be for you cruise walk up to cvs store do not eat a the hotel there is a lot of places to eat there there ia the place that is cone ted to the hotel it is called all about food and it is really good for the price aroud 10 dollars if you drink.coffe don't get it from the hotel we had 2 cups and some juice and it was 14 dollars yes 14 lol good place to stay beach is clean and night life is good hope this helped and we took a cab from the airport to hotel it was 20 dollar's thats not bad at all took about 15mm there pool is nice and if you workout there gym is nice and clean well that it for me alaska

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 December 2013

You know, you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. This hotel is old. Yes, it is across from the beach, right across from the beach, and the views from my room were pretty spectacular but if you took away what nature has given it this property would get 2 stars.

The elevators are a bit scary...they are painfully slow and packed in the morning. I saw a woman loose it because she couldn't fit in when the doors opened. She had obviously been waiting a long time. The restaurant has a couple of decent bartendresses but the food is sub par and the little deli across the lot is way over priced. DON'T GET THE SOUP THERE! The breakfast is a joke for the price. They gave me a couple of vouchers for my Hilton status but they only go towards a weak cold display with a $6.00 add on for bacon and scrambled eggs.

The room was fine, I was on a top floor and it is a real treat to have a balcony. I couldn't complain about the cleanliness or space. Just try getting downstairs in the morning from the 14th floor... plan on adding 15 minutes.

I think this would be a fine way for a couple to end their vacation after a cruise but I could not imagine having to stay here a week with a family.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank SalsaPicante78
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My clue should have been on the first night when one of the two elevators for a hotel with more than 15 floors did not work. When the toilet did not flush for two of my three days stay, my suspicion about a bad choice was confirmed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved. We apologize for the plumbing issues and for the elevator that was out of order during your stay and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Warm regards,

Marcos Borras
marcos.borras@hilton.com
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Their staff! The housekeeping staff were some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. Seriously. Very polite, willing to help, accomodating. A very pleasant and welcomed surprise. The rooms are nice although our AC unit sweated all night soaking the floor at the entry to the room but we had one of the few King rooms with a balcony and a slight view of the beach. The AC struggled to keep the room cool on a 78 degree day. We were traveling with two dogs which are well behaved and they allowed us to stay there even though they exceeded their weight limit for pets. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank NC_sillyboy
Owings, Maryland
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Spent the last 2 nights of my vacation here. Great way to end the trip. The hotel is defiantly an older property. But is well maintained. The room was large. (ocean view room). The bathroom has a sink/dressing area and then the shower and toilet are separate. Walls are little thin but that's expected in an older building. All of the staff we very friendly. From the front desk clerk to the maid in the hallway. The restaurant and bar are very small but makes it easy to start a conversation and make new friends. The pool area is really very nice. Its on the second level. There is a very nice bar/restaurant up there. The fitness center is also located up there. There is a "sky walk" over the road to the beach so you don't have to worry about walking across the road. They have a spot for the Double Tree guests with chairs, umbrellas and towels. The hotel is located in a great spot. Most everything is walkable or a short cab ride away. Will definitely consider this hotel again for a trip to Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo