“Great stay - great value”

Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Peru, New York
“Great stay - great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was my second stay in three years, but I was most impressed with the value, service and room quality here. Great location and view. My only complaint is the daily charge for parking is excessive, and takes away somewhat from the value. It would also be nice if beach chairs and or umbrellas could be gratis for hotel guests, and the elevator is quite slow, but it would probably return in the future - definitely if they would reduce that parking fee for guests.

Room Tip: If you choose partial ocean view, try to get a south view, since you will see the ships enter and ex...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is my sixth time staying at this property...I guess the main reason why I stay here is because of the direct access to the beach (with a Skybridge over A1A, and the easy within walking distance to my Best Boat Rentals and water taxi..

Now, indeed the hotel does have two very slow elevators, and does have the squeaky door to the small balcony, but the service that I get from this hotel has been great...

They've been able to accommodate me with my requests and certain room locations. I was in Room 1007 (directly next to the elevator which was fine), heard no elevator noise and the room was a little bit bigger then other rooms I've had...

I look forward to my next stay at this property..thanks again..

Room Tip: Get a room with both a Marina and Oceanview since at night you'll still have some sort of view...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

After reading some of the other reviews, I feel lucky that I got an upgrade from the garden-view room in the low-rise wing to a 12th-floor room in the newer tower. Even then, you have to realize that you are staying in an older hotel and be ready for such minor details as slow, noisy elevators and sliding glass windows that leak cold air in a north wind. But you pull the curtain across the leak and the door is okay, you start out two minutes earlier and that solves the elevator issues.

The tower room was certainly spacious, and furnishings in excellent condition. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept very well. Only the bathtub revealed its age with a worn-off surface. Originally it may have been anti-skid, but a rubber tub mat would be an excellent idea now.

Service is excellent almost without exception, as usually seems to be the case with DoubleTree properties I have visited. The only glitch was trying to get a coffee refill or get the bill from the server in the breakfast buffet. Otherwise, everyone from front desk to bellman to poolside bar attendant was helpful and pleasant, and things got done as requested.

The greatest feature of the property is the footbridge connecting the two buildings to each other, to the outdoor pool on the roof of a third building, and to the beach directly. You can get to all those destinations without risking your neck in the traffic!

Take it by and large, I would certainly stay at Bahia Mar again. In my book, service counts for at least as much as modern facilities, and the service team here certainly understands that.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the tower!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kenny0654
Albert Lea, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here one night after our cruise before flying home the next day. We wished we would have had a couple more days to stay and enjoy the area. The location of this hotel is perfect, with direct access to the beach. Just a short walk down the beach is a playground and picnic area, which was perfect for our 3 year old. A short walk in the other direction and you'll find all kinds of stores, restaurants, bars, and nightlife. The area of the hotel is a little more quiet, which was nice with a young child. My daughter and I swam in the pool, which was heated just right, while my husband enjoyed some food and drinks from the poolside bar and grill.

We had a direct ocean-front room with balcony. The balcony is very small, just big enough to stand outside and take in the views. It would have been nice if they were larger with chairs. The room itself was very large. A treat after spending 4 days in a tiny cruise room.

The service was great! Everyone at the front desk was friendly and smiling. Same goes for the attendants at the entrance. The hotel also has its own taxi stand, so no waiting for a taxi in the morning.

I've seen other reviews that have commented on the price, however as a Hilton Honors Member, I was able to upgrade to the ocean-front room for a few points. All said and done, we paid $150.00 for a nice room on the beach! I thought that was a great value!!

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front room. Amazing views!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John S
Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel has an excellent location, but many others on the A1A do as well. However, as a Hilton member that is probably the primary reason we've returned 3 times.

Also, the other big pros are the bridge and direct access to the beach. The pool and pool bar area as well as the big gym.

From the first to the second stay here, they transitioned from just the Bahia Mar to Hilton ownership. The rooms were all updated at this time. Not much has changed since.

The restaurant is a decent place overall as well.

Even as a Hilton gold member, we did need to wait about 4 hours to check in. We were a bit early though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kearnsisawesome
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My last review of this hotel was absolutely glowing. I said that anyone who complained was simply too hard to please. However, a few things happened since I wrote that review that I feel are worth bringing up (I would have re-written the review sooner, but it made me wait 90 days). I am a Hilton Diamond member so I travel often and stay at Hilton's almost every week.

On one of my visits late this summer, I was visited by 2 palmetto bugs in my room. For those of you unfamiliar - they are giant, flying cockroaches. I was horrified! They just crawled across the floor while I watched TV. I packed up my room in 20 seconds flat and ran downstairs to ask for a new room. They were really nice at the front desk, but offered me zero compensation, points, apologies, etc. for dealing with this...which was gross. In fact, the bellman laughed and told me "I had a better attitude than most guests this happens to." Um? Does this happen a lot?? Awful! I know these bugs are common in South Florida, but should not be in a hotel room that is regularly cleaned.

I liked the Bahia Mar, so I tried staying there one more time even though I was terrified and looking under every piece of furniture for bugs. During this visit, my no smoking room reeked of smoke the entire time and I am almost positive smoke from the room next door was seeping into my room constantly. I woke up in the middle of the night and almost couldn't breathe it was so bad. I reported this to the front desk and again - zero apology and the comment was "Oh, ok. Well, I will tell security." No offer to move my room or even a simple apology.

At this point - I wrote to Marcos Borras, the manager of the hotel (who always provided me with a letter at the beginning of each of my stays welcoming me as a Diamond member and telling me to contact him personally with any problems) to let him know of my extremely unpleasant stays and that I would no longer be staying at his hotel and would instead go to the Hilton down the street (which take my advice - is WELL worth the extra dollars).

I got zero reply so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and wrote again. Zero reply. If you truly care about your frequent travelers and their business (I had stayed at his hotel many times previously) you would think a response or apology would be warranted.

Listen to the other travelers when they tell you other options are available. I don't know about you, but flying cockroaches and a smokey room are definitely not elements I want to deal with when staying at a hotel. There is a reason the price here is low.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank jennm55
bahiamar, General Manager at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We value your feedback and continued business with us and it's disappointing to hear that your experience was not what you're used to expecting. We're working to freshen all guest rooms and apologize for the inconvenience.

My apologies, I don't recall seeing your feedback; my standard follow up is 48 hours so I ask that you kindly re-send it to my email address listed below for further research and follow up.

Warm regards,

Marcos Borras
marcos.borras@hilton.com
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Don't stay at this hotel unless you get a room in the MAIN BUILDING. If they say "Garden View"... PASS. You will pay $250.00 for a room that is in desperate need of a remodel. The bathroom has a sink with no space for even a toothbrush. Horrible. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

3 Thank Sharon O
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please feel free to share any additional comments or suggestions with us. We'd really like the chance to invite you back.

Kind regards,