Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Hotel was in a great location not far from airport, if there was anything that I would add would be suttle service, but the cab service was very present which was a good thing.
Hotel was clean and service was very good. The hotel grounds were very spacious and lots a room to roam, I had about 15 family members and everyone was very comfortable.
I highly recommend the Bahia Mar Beach Resort and we will definitely come back. Only real concern was the parking, i did not like the fact that there was a fee a pricey fee, and we had 3 cars in and out of there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,178)

Reviewed 31 May 2009

My wife and I booked a getaway weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and bigger than I expected. Great buffet breakfast. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. Lots of closet space and the kitchen area was very well appointed. Lots of in-room coffee.

Reviewed 28 May 2009

My mother and I stayed at the Bahia Mar for a Mother's Day outing and found the hotel to be very clean, in a great location from the beach and employed a very friendly and helpful staff, and not to mention the rate we received for a Friday night stay was exceptional for the accomodations and location. I will definitely return and recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My spouse and I had visited the Ft. Lauderdale area several times before choosing the Bahia Mar. We had actually walked passed the Bahia Mar during strolls on the beautiful beach. After we returned to Milwaukee, we decided to investigate the Bahir Mar further for our next vacation. Although we were somewhat concerned initially because of some of the reviews we read, we decided to try the Bahia Mar for ourselves.

This hotel was excellent! It was like a little contained city. We stayed on the 14th floor, and our oceanview was spectacular. All the staff were very professional and kind. We wer also very impressed with the new Deli which was also a part of the Bahia Mar that everything a traveler could want from hot sandwiches, drinks, fruits, snacks, you name it! It was like a little grocery store. And the prices were fair. We especially enjoyed the pool area which was clean and the drinks were refreshing. For those fitness enthusists, there was also a new fitness center on site with all the latest equipment. We want to give special thanks to our room service person, Anetta (sp) who was always there for us. We would recommend this beautiful beach front resort to anyone looking for a carefree, fun, vacation.

1  Thank LoveBirds7
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Very well maintained. Staff did an excellent job and were very professional. Resort was very clean and well presented. I would highly recommend

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We had a great time and the location couldn't of been better. There was so much to do around the resort we didn't even need our rental car. Best of both worlds Bay and the Beach ! We loved being so close to the water Taxi too. Overall the accomadations exceeded our expectations and the staff was very helpful. We'd stay again no questions asked!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 22 May 2009

My wife and I took a weekend trip to Ft. Lauderdale last week, stayed here because of it's beach access. We got an awesome rate through AAA ($123/night with partial view).

We were looking for less pomp and circumstance and fuss, just some placesimple in a good location. Bahia Mar fit the bill perfectly. It was a super short cab ride ($20 + tip). We asked for a room overlooking the south end, with a view of both the beach and the waterways (with all of the yachts!). We arrived about 1, and they didn't have a king available, so we just took a room with two double beds. The room was great, the stepout balcony was big enough to chill on and take some good pics and stuff. It was big enough for both of us to stand up and look out, and that was it (which was perfectly fine). The decor was a bit old school looking, and the elevators seemed to be on the slower side (especially when you're on the 12th floor and have to stop at every other floor on the way down haha), but the bathroom was huge, the beds were really soft, the pillows fluffy, and the linens were nice. The room had a decent sized fridge that fit some beer and our sandwiches nicely. (Got the beer at the CVS - good prices) We didn't use room service.

There was a high school prom going on the Saturday we were there, but it didn't seem to affect the operations of the hotel at all.

We ate a couple of meals at the All About Food restaurant on the other side of their parking lot. I was surprised at the assortment of food offered there, and at great prices! We skipped the all you can eat $17 breakfast buffet in the lobby for the fresh breakfast at said restaurant (and a third of the price). Eggs and omelettes to order, croissant sandwiches, etc. They have great lunch and dinner sandwiches, salads, and on and on!

The walkway to the beach was great. We chilled at the beach for awhile across from the hotel on Saturday, and then took a short (maybe 5 minutes if that) walk up to the oasis cafe (the swings you sit in are cool - I highly recommend it, really laid back place, mostly outside). Later that night we spent some time walking up and down the drag, mostly people watching. There were places that you could sit down and have an expensive dinner, and then places that were just chill places to munch on an appetizer and have a cocktail. We didn't do any fine dining - the entire strip was too loud for me to want to sit down and drop some cash on a nice dinner. Just didn't seem like that type of atmosphere. (I think the place we went was called the Rox bar - we had a great time.)

We read some reviews about the Jungle Queen (the stop was maybe a 5 minute walk from the Bahia Mar) dinner cruise being awful, but we still wanted to do some sort of water tour, so we booked the day tour on the JQ. Well, we also happened to buy an all day pass on Friday for the water taxi to putt around, and it turned out that they gave all sorts of information about who lived on the waterways and where, and stories about the boats and whatnot. We didn't want to 'relive' the information (although fun and very interesting), so we opted to skip the day tour for the Jungle Queen, even though we had paid for tix already. I'm glad we did. Do the water taxi - you can go and get off and on all day if you want. (Las Olas - fancy schmancy shops and stuff, which wasn't what we wanted for our getaway, so we quickly went back to the water taxi stop and got right back on and headed to the Beach place for some time wasting.

Had a late lunch at Lulu's at the Beach Place (a 10 or 15 minute walk from Bahia, or a water taxi stop away). Great laid back atmosphere, with several tables overlooking the second story to the beach across A1A. Someone recommended Hooters, but we can go there anytime.

The pool was good - sits up on the second story of a building, so you don't see any traffic on the road or the parking lot - just the sky. Drinks were on the expensive side ($16 for two well vodka drinks). We stopped by and grabbed them on the way to the beach (even though there are signs posted that alcohol is a nono, especially glass, I saw several people on the beach not only with coolers packed with booze, but people drinking out of glass containers too. It didn't bother me at all, everyone pretty much kept to themselves, no unruliness or anything.)

Oh, the gift shop was pretty thin on stuff, not much there. But again - there's a CVS, and tons of swag shops just up the road at the Beach Place.

One thing I didn't understand about FL, is the tipping. This has nothing to do with the hotel, but most of the bars and restaurants we went to the 15% gratuity was added to the check. Sometimes it was pointed out on the check, and other times you had to pay attention. We never received bad service, and I certainly didn't mind paying it. My only beef is I waited tables and bartended throughout college, and to this day (I'm 33) I rarely tip less than 20%, even if I didn't have the best service. So, I figure if you're going to tell me how much you're worth by adding the tip already, who am I to disagree? :)

There were a couple of computers in the lobby that we printed out boarding passes at for free. Only walked through the gym (the pool restrooms are located in there), simple - a few cardio machines, and a few weight machines. Didn't see any free weights, but I can't say I was looking hard, and I probably had a few beers in me.

Overall, we most likely will stay at the Baria Mar next time we're doing a weekend getaway. This a great, no frills, good priced, beach front property.

2  Thank dallastexas76