Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Tequesta, Florida
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! I am not a complainer but this hotel was a nightmare. I booked this hotel by calling them directly about an hour before we arrived. When we arrived, they didn't have the room that we requested so they downgraded us to a room and dropped the price by $15. When we got to the room it smelled like mildew so I called the front desk and they moved us to an even lower downgraded room. Nothing too impressive in the room, the website makes them look so much nicer.

We woke up the next morning with bed bug bites all over us!!! We were so distraught and disgusted! We tried to speak to a manager but there wasn't one "on duty" at the time. I called they hotel and left several messages but no one ever returned my phone calls. The person taking the message told me that they would have some call me right away that it was an urgent matter but its been 5 days and still haven't heard from anyone. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank BrittSulli83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ILLINOIS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I chose Bahia Mar based on the recommendation of the owner I was doing business with that weekend in Fort Lauderdale, and our transaction was at the Bahia Mar. Plus, I thought the great deal of a Court Yard view and Breakfast was good, that way I did not have to worry about breakfast for my child or myself the following morning.

Yes, they do state on the INTERNET the Court Yard view in in the Marina Building. If you have never been there before, that sounds great. The Marina Building was built in 1966 (yes, it looks like an old motel.....and no offense to the motel industry). It has 1 elevator, has 4 floors, and is a little hike from the lobby.

All photos I have seen of the Bahia Mar on the INTERNET are of the main facility built in 1975. It is about 14 to 15 stories tall, and has that modern state of the art look.

Was I surprised upon check-in that I was staying in the facility across the parking lot. Then when I got there, since the person who checked me in did not inform me where the elevator was....I wondered "what the heck is this?" So the first guest I saw come through the doors I entered, I asked where the elevators were? His response was "there aren't any!"

At that point, you can tell, this is not going well. I marched across the parking lot with my son and + 70 year old mother to ask them how they expect patrons to get to the upper levels with luggage without an elevator. Upon getting a different check-in person (who was real nice by the way), they provided me with information as to where the elevator for the Marina Building is. Now why didn't the person who checked me in do that!?!?!?!

The elevator for the Marina Building is a small hydraulic elevator. Don't expect for it to go fast or hold more than 2 people with luggage. I must admit the cleaning staff in the Marina Building was nice.

The thought of thinking I was going to get one thing and ending up with something completly different just set a bad tone for my stay.

The next morning, I was at breakfast (since I paid for the bed and breakfast package), I presented the nice tall lady (I think her name is Cyrise) with my voucher for 'bed and breakfast. She indicated it was for only one person. Again, I go to the lobby to find out what is going on. They tell me my 13 year old child eats from the Children's menu. Though the restaurant has a buffet, we all know, 13 year olds can eat since they are growing. I am instructed "the child can eat from the children's menu or I pay for the buffet". If I had known that, I never would have gotten the 'bed and breakfast package', just gotten the basic room offer with my AAA discount and be done with them. Yes, I was furious!!!!!

Upon returning to the restaurant, I choose to let my child eat from the buffet with the voucher and I just had juice until it was time for me to go take care of my business. I must admit, Cyrise was the most of all associated with that facility that made any interaction the most memorable.

I WILL NEVER STAY at the Bahia Mar resort AGAIN, but if tall Cyrise (trust me, she is one in a million in that restaurant) I would visit the facility (restaurant) just for her.

You know, if they would just tell/show you the Marina Building before booking on-line, I don't think there would be a problem. But since they show you that tall nice moder structure (built in 1975), it is misleading. It is mid-April (6 weeks later) and to this date, after sharing my thoughts on their "we want to hear from you comment card", the Bahia Mar's management still has not contacted me regarding my stay. That in my opinion is a poor way to run a business

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

My husband and I took a trip to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Bahia Mar. The hotel was very clean and staff was extremely hospitable. After the first night at the hotel, our room's air conditioner began blowing out a terrible smell. We contacted the front desk and they immediatly moved our room and upgraded us too!

Although we had to walk a little ways to the "strip" for dinner and shopping, we did enjoy ourselves immensly. I checked many other hotels down and around the area we stayed at and for the price and location this place was terrific. I would stay there again if I returned to Fort Lauderdale. I don't think I would bring my young children though...It's a lot of walking and the pool area is designed for older kids.

One additional thing that the Bahia Mar website and other reviews did not mention was that on the hotel grounds is a deli/food/mart. The owners are fantastic and they have everything there you could possible imagine. The food ranged from breakfast-dinner and snacks in between. It was good too. I would recommend it.

Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

Stayed for three nights/four days in early April 2010. Having read mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect, but decided to give it a try. As a solo female traveler, I was concerned with safety and security, and was pleased with the Bahia Mar. Hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. I would stay again if I got a decent rate.
I stayed in the 5th floor of the tower building - the room was somewhat dated, but I was just basically in the room to sleep and shower, so it was totally fine. I has a problem with the room safe, ans security came up within minutes to fix the problem. I was on the beach (right across the street) most of the time, but went running each morning down the strip and downtown via Las Olas Blvd.... all very pleasant - everything was close to the hotel.
The water taxi stops at the Bahia Mar and is a great way to get around, sight-see, etc. The deli at the hotel has a great selection, Coconuts (a restaurant within walking distance) was fun, casual - good food, and YOLO downtown is an excellent restaurant.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
owatonna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I WILL STAY IN FORT LAUDERDALE!!!!!!!!!! Not only do they have wonderful food, they have a private walkway to the ocean with a ocean front room with fantastic view!!!! The bell hops / staff are the BEST EVER!!! They have the Jungle Queen connected to the parking lot also a must do if in the area! :O) ALL AROUND ITS THE BEST!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Beyond its just across the A1A and the south end of the beach. Its was close to the port for us and was a $15 cab ride from the cruise port and around $15 to the airport.

The hotel lobby was nice. I would give it a 3 star. Once you get to the elevator and hallways and rooms, it gets dirty and worn looking. Stains on carpets, our curtains had a big rip in them, air conditioning vent was packed with dust. Noisy from hallways and exterior windows were not cleaned. Tub was rusted on the drain, tiles worn, vanity needed repair, carpet was dirty in the room. Elevator was vandalized, dated and for some reason really slow. I think you get the point.

We got an online deal for $129 a night Marina view. The view was excellent, it had marine and beach view. Also the Jungle Queen cruise was a stones throw away.

Relaxed by the pool and it had a nice beach bar at it.

Check-in was difficult. They mixed up my name with a previous guest that checked in under my name. The only reason I caught it was the nightly rate was different then I saw it wasn't even my name. My last name was spelt a bit different but the first names were not even close.

Even at a discounted rate I would not return, I would like to try something a little more North on the beach.

Check parking rates. We didn't have a car but they looked steep to me.

1 Thank calkirko
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay. Walkway across busy street to the beach and a walkway to the pool, which is heated! Rooms are nice and roomy. Staff is helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family