“Not a great experience”

Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Naples, Florida
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel nickel and dimes you..25 a day for parking.15 for an umbrella..10 a day for a small fridge in your room..The pool was packed like sardines..Went to the beAch one day and all the lounge chairs were full, so we couldn't get one..It started raining so we went to sit under an umbrella and the cabana boy came over and ripped my hands off it, telling me he had to put it down because of the rain, that it may blow away..I live in Florida..It wasn't even windy.At check out I told the desk manager of my issues and she and the fronk desk girl had smirks on their faces..like my issues weren;t important..The best thing was the room..We had an oceanview balcony..which we paid well for.I'll never go back to any Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Napleshappygirl
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Lovethegulf95: Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment with our hotel, as this is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests. We truly value your feedback have notified Hotel Management ensure action is taken on the areas you described that need improvement. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and service.

Complex Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This place has really outdone itself and I mean in a bad way. Let me start off by saying I am no hotel snob, I've stayed in a number of Red Roof Inn's and Extended Stays. This place does not live up to the Sheraton name.. not one bit.

The front desk staff is slow as a snail. I stayed 2 nights and every time I went to the front desk to ask a simple question (such as, how do I log onto the internet) I waited at least 10 minutes. And I'm talking like no one even acknowledges you standing there for 10 minutes. Heads down, buried in their computer, not looking up to say "I'll be with you in a moment."

The Tex-Mex style (as they call it) restaurant located on the property is awful. The food is ordinary at best, and the service was BEYOND awful. I waited 15 minutes before someone even came over and greeted me, and mind you, this was when I finally moved up to sit at the bar because I was hungry and sick of sitting completely unattended. If this place were not located in a hotel, I would have given it 6 months before it were out of business. The staff was rude and inattentive.

The only people who are friendly and hustling around are the people who you can presume get no credit for it (guest services, cleaning crew etc.). The guest services was really nice when I called to ask if they had a little store in the lobby (I forgot my toothpaste) instead they sent someone up with complementary toothpaste and toothbrushes. This was very kind and I did appreciate that.

The 9.99 charge for internet is insanity - I still cannot believe hotels charge for internet...... that befuddles me.

Everyone on the property looks miserable, guests and staff alike.

The extra lock on my room door is busted and jenky, so (right now) I have a chair propped up against the door. For some reason I just don't feel safe here. The rooms are pretty outdated (some minor updates like new lamps) the bathrooms are very small, the AC barely pumps out anything below 75. The TV set up is really bad, you cant even flip through channels without going back to an extremely crappy "TV Guide." When you turn the TV on you cant even get to a channel without being forced to watch a few minute intro/advertisement.

I would never come back here, this experience has made me second guess ever booking a Sheraton again.

Room Tip: My room was located in the "ship/main building" - I'd try to get something on the beac...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Acire20
Dear Acire20: Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment with our hotel, as this is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests. We truly value your feedback have notified Hotel Management ensure action is taken on the areas you described that need improvement. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and service.

Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 11 September 2012

One word- Excellent! The hotel staff were very nice and helpful. William the Concierge,Anthony and Ricardo-Pool guys, Lucia-housekeeper, Rachel,Derrick and Nesmen, the bar staff provided excellent service. They all made me feel welcome and at home. I thought the decor was very nice, and had style! My room was very clean, I was comfortable I would definitly stay here again, as long as the service continues to stay at this level. Food and drink are pricey but thats what you get at a hotel, you need to venture off site.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear stacey e: Thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our private beach and lovely appointed guestrooms. Thank you again for your comments, they are much appreciated!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Dear Sheraton... Sell this property. The rooms need an overhaul. The door to the room did not close well... Property is uninteresting and dated looking. At the very least, change the antiquated aur cond units. They smell mildewed when operating and do nit mainrain the temp... Either sweltering or freezing! Never again...

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Bornninitaly
Dear Bornninitaly: We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit and do apologize that we failed to exceed your expectations. We take all guest comments very seriously and will ensure the problems you encountered are addressed with each respected department. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel was great from start to finish. There was no line when we arrived for check in and they were able to get us right to our room. We also asked for a crib at check in and that was brought to the room within 10 min.
Only complaint with the room was no fridge or microwave.
The hotel beach was not crowded and it was very family friendly. The beach bar was expensive so we tried not to eat or drink much there. Most mixed drinks were $10.
Customer service was tops here. Everyone we encountered was so helpful and nice, it really made our trip. My husband and I can't wait to come back to the Sheraton!! Don't believe the bad reviews

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Sarah09232010: Thank you for taking the time to share you review. We are disappointed to see that you were not happy with our guestroom amenities; however we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful location and customer service. Thank you again for the feedback you provided and we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I am writing to say that during our pre-cruise stay at the Sheraton FLL Beach Hotel, we were greatly disappointed and would never stay there again. We were, frankly, astonished that RCCL would recommend and sell rooms at this hotel to its cruise customers.

Here are some of the things we did not enjoy in our two days at that hotel:

1. Upon entering the hotel after exiting the taxi with our luggage, a hotel employee told us we'd have to wait for the bellhop to come and take our luggage. We suggested that we could put our bags on a dolley and take it up to our room ourselves, but the employee said no, we couldn't do that. If we wanted to use the dolley, we 'd have to wait for the bellhop, (and tip him of course.) My husband angrily rounded up our luggage and we took them ourselves to our room. Who wants to wait around for how long, when all you want to do is get to your room, freshen up, leave your bags, and go have fun in the sun? That little episode started things off.

2. Secondly, this hotel has several towers, and they are far apart from the beach, the lobby, the road, in short, anywhere you want to go. It was a veritable hike to and from our room. It's not that we're infirm, it's that we felt we spent a lot of time getting from A to B.

3. Furthermore, the hallways in general were actually dirty, visably dirty, and the dirt never changed or disappeared during the two-day stay. Everywhere we looked, the hallways needed a good vacuuming. I also don't mean sandy; nope, it was dirty with pieces of stuff, papers, litter, etc. The walls were also beat up. It just had a shabby look to it.

4. We were interested in eating there, as there is a restaurant as well as a coffee shop with muffins, fruit cups, yogurt, etc. After looking at the prices at the restaurant, we realized that it would be more expensive than the surrounding area, and definitely more than what it could be worth. We hate hotels that jack up the price of the food, simply because they have you where they want you, and this place was doing just that. We did, however, try the coffee shop, as the in-room coffee was awful. The coffee was good, if overpriced, but the fruit cup was again very expensive as well as overripe to the point of being on its last day. It was borderline mushy. The yogurt turned out to be, I guess, some kind of Greek yogurt, as it had the consistency and sourness of sour cream. Even with granola and berries, every bite made us pucker. More disappointment.

5. During our stay, the phone in the room died. That sounds a bit strange, but it's because the phones have some kind of recharge on the handset, very wierd. We tried to call room service and the darn phone was dead, so we had to hike down to the lobby to complain. The counter person explained that they'd have to call the maintenance man, and they didn't know how long it would take, but that we'd have to wait in our room until he got there. GREAT: we have to miss out on a beautiful beach day, to wait for the phone guy to come and fix our phone. So, reluctantly, that's what we did. He came, he left, another guy came, he left, and finally the second guy came back with a whole new phone. I bet we lost an hour of our precious vacation time horsing around with maintenance. Again, shabby service with shabby hotel furnishings.

6. We decided to go check out the outdoor pool. It was a greenish yellow color, as well as jam full of guests. We all know why a pool would be that color: it needs cleaned, because people have been relieving themselves in it for too long. In any case, it didn't look appetizing at all, so we skipped the pool.

7. There's a gift shop on the ground floor, so we decided to pop in and see what they had. The Indian lady never cracked a smile, let alone answered our hellos, and again, big surprise, everything was way overpriced, so we picked up a couple of bottles of water and left, vowing never to return.

8. The icing on the cake for us is that we paid $408 dollars for two days, which you can see is over $200 a night, for that experience. The room itself was nothing special or fancy. The furnishings as well as the decorations and bedding were average at best. albeit clean. It was not, by any stretch of the imagination, worth $200 a night. We would, I repeat, NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Tracy M
Dear Tracy M: Your feedback is very valuable to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Please accept our sincere apologies, as this is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests. We strive to provide first class customer service and were disappointed to see where we fell short on service delivery. Rest assured your review will be discussed with our management team to ensure the areas you addressed are acknowledged. Again, thank you for your comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our product.

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Fact it's an old hotel but very well kept and completely remodeled inside. We stayed at the beach tower and really enjoyed it. for the money this is the best you can get in Fort Lauderdale: amazing location on the beach (and the beach is great and safe for kids), very close to Port Everglades and to the airport. For sure will be back there.
Warning about Ft Lauderdale Blvd and Atlantic Blvd that are close to the beach. When we were there at night there was a deadly shooting. When we kept asking locals they said it happens once a week!! try to avoid that area at night.

Room Tip: from the beach tower you can walk to the beach and pool in your swimsuit.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Edyta A: Thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our private beach and hotel location. Rest assured, the incident that happened near A1A is not typical of a weekend here on Fort Lauderdale Beach and since then city officials have been monitoring the area very closely. Thank you again for your comments, they are much appreciated!