“Dated and stale”

B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #45 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here pre-cruise allocated by Princess Cruise.

Might have been impressive in the 50s but now well past its heyday. As it is right on the beach, it might appeal to young families looking for a beach holiday but I certainly would not stay there again pre-cruise.

No major cons but no major pros either. Just somehow very dated and requiring a major refurb.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ROBBINGHOOD
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear ROBBINGHOOD: Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts! We appreciate your insight regarding our accommodations. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we work to improve the product and services offered to our guests.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with a couple friends for the Tortuga Music Festival. The location was perfect for the festival. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and wanted to help us however they could. Marilyn at the Beach Bar and Grill was awesome, and so was Andrew at the front desk. They were able to remember our names and were always asking if they could help throughout the trip.

I definitely would stay here again, especially if going to the festival as it was right next to it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackie O
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Jackie O: Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton on Trip Advisor. It means so much to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your time with us during the festival weekend. Until next time, sunny regards from beautiful Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a layover in Fort Lauderdale. Decided to stay at the Sheraton as we often do when we travel. They told us they gave us the upgraded room however we were very surprised with the room. It was clean but it was very small and VERY old. The walls are paper thin and the A/C was terribly loud. We could see the beach in the distance but I would not say it was beach front. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen M

Dear Karen M: Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts! We appreciate your insight regarding our accommodations. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we work to improve the product and services offered to our guests.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was in Town for the Tortuga Music Festival. Positives are Location, Beach Access With a Pool and Bar and Grill. I was in Marina Tower (Farthest point from Beach) Room was clean and comfy.
Checkin process was quick and smooth (was 5 am when we got there!) Mexican Restaurant food was excellent. Bar and Grill at beach was very good. The Ladies who manned it Nicole and Monica were awesome! Always watching to see who needed something (Bar was packed due to the shows) Always smiling and engaging the Guests. BBG Supervisor Bezeh was also engaging with the Guests. Checking to make sure we were having a good time and happy. Was a pleasure.

Negatives- Trouble with Key cards every day. Went to Desk to get card fixed and first thing out of Clerks name was "you had it near your cell phone" My response was No, try again. Card was "fixed "walked to room to have card not work again. Walked BACK to Front Desk same clerk, NOW apologized (guess he felt bad and called security to meet me at room. Security was nice fiddled with the card which of course worked!!
Mexican Restaurant- WAY TOO SLOW!!! Both days!!! Was Too packed to have to wait for food. Im sure business was lost due to the wait

Positives outweighed the Negatives for me, I would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for Tower closest to Beach, walk from Marina Tower to beach 5 to 10 mins.. 20 dollars a day to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SKJet

Dear SKJet: Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review about your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback and all of the great compliments surrounding our outlets and beautiful location on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Thank you for also sharing your honest feedback regarding the areas that could use improvement, they are much appreciated.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for 4 days, 3 nights on a girls get-a-way vacation! The hotel was adequate but what made our stay excellent was the staff on the beach especially Bradley Pucci! Brad made sure every morning we were all set up on the beach in our favorite spot with our umbrella in the perfect location. He was a wealth of local knowledge, giving us great recommendations for restaurants and fun spots to visit. Thanks so much for making our time away so great Brad!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nancyp1234

Dear Nancyp1234: Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about your recent stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our private beach and the welcoming service provided by our beach staff. Thank you again for your comments, they are much appreciated!

Heather Williams
Complex Marketing Manager

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed during the music festival and it was a bit of nightmare. Every room was sold out with parties and drunkerds everywhere. The hotel security was understaffed and very rude. In fact, the security acted like TSA and treated guests as if they were 2nd rate human beings.
The hotel is big and spread out. I recommend you try to stay in the beach tower, so that you are closer to the pool beach, bar and the sand. The hotel does has a very good Mexican restaurant and an interesting underwater themed bar. The rooms were clean... but the bath/shower water came from rusty pipes making it green... not nice! One thing that really annoyed me was the key cards stopped working a couple of times every day... and reception is a 10 minute walk away :(

Room Tip: Stay in Beach tower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Simon L: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. We're very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your stay over the festival, and we are passing your comments along for future improvements. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again, so that we may show you the true potential of the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Sheratons around the world, and this is not a Sheraton, not even close.

As a professional speaker i was presenting to 4 seminars in Ft Lauderdale and thought that we could stay at a beach hotel.

The hotel is scruffy, old and totally lacking in good management.

I paid extra for a balcony room overlooking the beach. What i was not told was that there was going to be a music festival right outside my room and my view was of a construction site, cranes and building work and no beach view.

To get to the room you had to go from inside the hotel to outside with a door in-between that banged the whole time when people were going in and out at all hours (avoid all rooms ending in 11 and 12)

The room was tiny, pokey and old and nothing like any other Sheraton I have stayed in.

The only saving grace in the hotel was a receptionist called Andrew who tried his best, but my advice to him would be to go and work for a professional hotel group.

Although free internet is advertised on the website, when you check in they tell you it is only free in reception, in the rooms it is $9.95 a day (what a con).

Fortunately Andrew tried his best and gave us free internet for the week, but it was so slow and the signal so weak that we gave up using it. When I complained, they put me through to technical support in some foreign country (I could hardly understand the accent) and after an hour on the phone I gave up.

It was a far walk to the beach and the beach area is nice, but again a total ripoff. To hire a bed with canopy on the beach was $121 a day, this is Ritz Carlton prices without the luxury.

Parking is $20 a day for self park and $25 for valet. I opted for valet and then found out that the self park cars were under cover, but valet parked in an open lot in the sun.

Despite asking asking 3 times for my car to be parked under cover, this was never done and the car was filthy every day. The one day I was going to speak at a large conference, when my car was brought around it was full of bird droppings and I had to have it washed before going to the conference (my own cost)

The restaurants and coffee place was good and the staff friendly there (I imagine that this is outsourced)

Overall a totally disappointing stay and I will never go there again. This is definitely not a 4 or even a 3 star hotel, more likely 2 star (we spent a lot of our time next door at the Harbour Marriot whch was a proper 4 star but could not accomodate us as it was full, otherwise I would have moved and forfeited what I had paid at the Sheraton)

Apologies for the long review, but I am a professional speaker and author on customer service and specialize in the hospitality industry as I spend over 250 days a year in hotels and will share this story on stage in in my next book.

There are certain hotel brands that have no overall standards like the Sheraton and Hilton groups and others that you can always rely on like Hyatt, Intercontinental, Ritz Carlton and Marriott - I will stick to there in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending 11 and 12 or choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank frankfurness

Dear frankfurness: Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback has been shared with our management team to ensure the areas you described that need attention are addressed. We understand your frustration and sincerely apologize, as the hotel was very busy over the festival weekend and operating at full occupancy. The staff at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel works very hard to provide our guests with an exceptional experience and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We value your business and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves if your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale Beach.