“Hotel scoop”

B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #39 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 August 2014

So I was very worried about staying here after reading reviews because I did not spend the extra $$ to be in the Beach tower because I didn't know. All I saw was that I had an ocean view for cheap. Well the Hotel has 3 buildings, Main tower, Beach Tower, and another tower that is across the street from the beach. I booked a ocean view balcony and ended up in the Main tower on the 5th floor. I had a beautiful view of the beach and the Main tower is on the beach side of the street, just not as close as the beach tower. Main tower about 120 or so yards and beach tower is probably 50 yards away from ocean.

The Beach tower doesn't have balcony rooms, so just be aware. But this hotel was amazing. Right next to public beach access so be cautious about a trip when school isn't in session as I imagine it gets crowded. There's a decent but pricey restraunt in the hotel, Dos Cominos which I ate at twice but there's better food in the area for cheaper.

All in all my room was very clean, there were excellent views. I was in room 512. The way the building works If you are in room 2-16 and in an even numbered room (beach side) on floor 3, 4, or 5 you will have a great view of the ocean! The odd numbers are on the street side and get wonderful sunset views.

One must do is to go to the 6th floor (elevator up to 5 and walk up the steps to 6) and go outside to the roof. It is legit and you won't get in trouble. If you'd rather you can go up to 5th floor and walk around to the street side of the hotel and you get beautiful sunset view. Also FYI parking is 20$ a day.

Room Tip: Main tower, higher floor, Even number, balcony.
2  Thank John M
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear John M: Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time at our hotel and enjoyed our comfortable accommodations. We hope you come see us again soon!

Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,155)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We ended up at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach through an "accepted" bid on priceline.com for a one night stay on my way to the Caribbean, and was a bit concerned that the 4 star property that I bid on didn't look like a 4 star property at all by the photos and some of the reviews. Fast forward to arrival...
We received nothing but courteous above and beyond service. Yes, the hotel is older, but kept up well and my room, in the beach tower was very clean and efficient. In fact, the beds were so clean and fresh, one of the things I look for immediately! The pool area and beach are very nice, clean and pleasant!
The hotel a huge value especially for the price I paid! I am a meeting planner and stay at many different hotels. I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again! This was a very pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the beach tower if you want to have very easy access to the pool and beach!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Marcy S

Dear Marcy S: Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We are so happy to hear that you had no regrets about your choice to stay with Sheraton! We can't wait to see you again on your next visit to Ft. Lauderdale Beach!

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We had a change of plans and booked this hotel last minute and we were so happy we did! We got a room in the beach tower and it was amazing! We walked right out to the pool overlooking the beach. Great view! The service was great. The guys working on the beach handing out towels and chairs were awesome and very polite! Loved the private beach setting! We enjoyed the wreck bar also. It was fun to watch through the window into the pool. The piña colada muffin at the link cafe was amazing! The only complaint that I had was the Mexican restaurant In the hotel. Over priced and awful service! We went one evening for an after dinner drink and it was crazy expensive for drinks that you could barely taste alcohol in. We also tried to have breakfast there and sat at our table for 15 minutes without being greeted before we left. The manager then argued with my boyfriend When he complained. Other than this restaurant we had an amazing experience! The location of the hotel was great also. The plaza with all the restaurants and shops was less than a mile away

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christy C

Dear Christy C: Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear about your experience with the service you received at Dos Caminos. We will be sure to pass along your feedback about your issues to our restaurant GM. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and found the location of the hotel to be convenient. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was the worst experience I've had in many years. It started the minute we pulled up and were rudely rushed out of the way unless we were valet parking. We hadn't even checked in and were unsure if we were even in the right place because of the way the area is designed. We were sent to a parking building across the street. We had to park, take the elevator, take the skywalk, take the elevator again, just to check in. We were told that we were given a room in the building across the street and when I asked if we could be in the main building, "You weren't promised that" was the reply but he told us he had upgraded our room to a bigger two-bed room (which is what I booked in the first place) and we could look out the side of the window and see the beach. "Or if you prefer, we have a room in the main building that would be smaller and have no view at all." was his reply. It was the approach that I had a problem with and again, the way we were treated. I asked what we did about our bags, if we could get a cart, he said "No, I'll have a bellman take care of that". The bellman never came even though I asked twice. We went back to the parking building, unloaded our luggage ourselves and went to our room. The TV wouldn't work and it seemed to be a simple problem with the remote. I called and was told someone would be right up.They never came. We waited for about another hour and no one ever came still. I called again and they said they would be right up. We left to go out for dinner and a movie since it was raining. When we came back to the hotel around midnight, no one had been up to fix the tv. I called again and was told that they had switched shifts and he was told nothing. He did send someone very quickly and the gentleman was very nice. He spoke very little english but he got a new remote that worked just fine.
The second day we left early to play golf, was gone most of the day but when we returned, the elevator in the parking garage was not working. We had to climb the steps which was most unpleasant after being on our feet all day. We decided to go to the pool, which the sign said closed at sunset. We were told there were towels at the pool however they had all been locked up. There were many towels strewn about the pool deck, which obviously was in need of a cleaning. A very nice security guard walked through the area and I assumed he was going to run everyone out since it was past sunset, but someone asked and he got everyone towels out of the locked area, there were probably three groups of people that took advantage.
The third day we were supposed to go on a sales presentation (hah!) and when we arrived were told we were supposed to have been given a packet or something with information including directions etc. which we never received and was not ever mentioned. In fact, since I hadn't heard from anyone since we had checked in, I called the company we were supposed to meet with and was told they were unaware we had even checked in. We came back from that and went to the beach. We got to the beach and stopped to inquire about chairs. My information said that 2 chairs came with our rental. We were quickly informed that we had to pay for chairs. Again, it was the way it was handled. So we opted to just use the towels since there were no chairs available at the pool either. We stayed at the beach most of the day. We went back to our room and as we went up the elevator it was clear that someone had been smoking pot on our floor. The whole floor reeked. That was the final event for us. We packed up, and went to check out. When we got to checkout it was as if we were committing a crime leaving early. The clerk called another clerk over and they surrounded my husband, until they realized we had a credit card on file and they could bill our card the $20 per day for parking which, there is clearly a sign on the front as you enter that they charge $10 for beach parking all day. Wow, I guess the public is afforded a better deal than even their guests.
Being in the travel and entertainment industry and working with tour companies, hotels and being a board member of my community's Convention and Visitor's Bureau, I was appalled at the treatment I received and the utter disregard for my happiness. As great a vacation as I started, these last couple days pretty much ruined the whole end of my trip. It left a nasty taste for the city and I can say without hesitation, we will not be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Cindy K
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear clrdy2go: Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at our property. First of all, please accept our sincere apologies, as we were very disappointed to read that we failed to create a wow experience for you. Your experience is certainly not a proper representation of the service you would expect and should receive here at the Sheraton. Our goal is to make each guests visit memorable and rest assured your comments will be reviewed with our management team. We do hope you will give us an opportunity in the future to show you our true hospitality and the improvements we have made from your helpful feedback.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel with all new features this one is not it. The hotel is older but well maintained. The location if very nice right on the beach. The only complaint I have is I thought that $20.00 a day to park your car was a bit excessive. I can't imagine how much I would spend if I chose to stay there more than a single night. The hotel is very pet friendly and doesn't charge you extra for your pet. Overall it was a nice place to stay.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Shawnklux

Dear Shawnklux: Thank you for sharing your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to make it a memorable vacation experience! Customer service is very important to us, and we’re very pleased our staff met your standards. We look forward to seeing you in the future for another wonderful stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a 4 day vacation and picked this hotel because it was on the beach. The last time we stayed in fort lauderdale we had to cross a busy street to get to the beach. The lure of chaise lounges and beach service was hard to resist. The wreck bar is a cute addition with it theme decor and the view of swimmers in the pool. Very unique.
Unfortunately, the hotel didn't quite live up to its promises. I agree with another reviewer that the lobby is very upscale but the rooms are not. The bed was nice and the pillows were very comfy, however, it ended there. We had our bathroom light go out and called to get it fixed. It was late and we were tired so we asked for the repair to be after 9am the next day. It didn't happen. Housekeeping called it in late afternoon when she cleaned and noticed it. The TV and on demand goes out if there are storms. There seems to be large thunderstorms every afternoon so you can't just relax in the room watching movies while you wait out the storms. The room was clean, but in need of some updating. The areas by the elevators smell like they need a dehumidifier.
The beach location was nice. the water a great temp this month and a beautiful blue-green color. The beach service was overall very, very slow. They provide flags that you raise if you wish to order. Unfortunately, it takes a very long time (usually over 30 minutes) before any one notices the flag and we were in the back so it should have been easy to notice. They ran out of lounge covers most days and even ran out of towels. There was a long wait and then they finally got hotel room towels at the beach for us to use. The beach umbrellas are nice and drop the temp of the day significantly, however, 20 dollars a day is a bit steep.
In terms of the staff, some of them were wonderful and focused on the needs of the guests. Others seemed to just be doing a job. The hotel would benefit from removing those that are just working or retraining them. They are diluting the effect of the staff that is exceptional.

3  Thank GlastonburyFoodLover

Dear GlastonburyFoodLover: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experiences at our hotel. We appreciate you letting us know what you liked about the hotel and about the areas that could use improvement. We hope choose Sheraton next time you visit Ft. Lauderdale!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel based on the photos and reviews but what a disappointment. It is a dated, crowded, worn hotel, despite its' statement of renovation 4 years ago. We found the head boards worn in our room. Bathrooms were underwhelming. Colours are dull and drab. Our room, on the 2nd floor, looked onto trees and sand which was disappointing for a "beachfront" hotel. I will say we were moved the second night after expressing our concerns. The second room was larger, brighter and had a spectacular view, still for a Sheraton, this hotel seems second rate.
On a positive note the beds were very comfy and the beach cabana service was great although you do have to pay for a beach umbrella.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a view room. Avoid outside hallway rooms, noisy and damp smelling.
2  Thank dutchgirl54

Dear dutchgirl54: Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts! We appreciate your insight regarding our accommodations. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we work to improve the product and services offered to our guests. Thanks again for your recommendation and for also sharing with us the things you liked most including our beautiful location right on the beach!