“Excellent, large suite with full kitchen.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winterset Hotel

Winterset Hotel
Ranked #72 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Excellent, large suite with full kitchen.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from Fort Lauderdale where we stayed for two nights at the Winterset Suites. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of our room. We plan to go back next time and do less driving and more relaxing. Though we didn't use the kitchen to cook, we loved the full size fridge and plan to buy groceries and cook next time around. Guest services Manager, Kat Evans was very helpful and made our check in and out a breeze. She answered our questions, helped us quickly remedy our locked safe (under 5 minutes wait time - thanks Kat!) and helped us plan our early exit time. We didn't sit pool side but we saw LOTS of fresh towels available daily. Next time we will take more time to enjoy the hot tubs, multiple pools (some in full sun, some in partial shade) and nicely kept gardens. Lovely rockers were available as well as movable umbrellas and plenty of free parking. We look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Winterset Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Kat D,
It sounds like you will have to come back soon so you can enjoy all that Winterset has to offer. With 3 pools, hammocks and a hot tub, it's easy to relax at this boutique hotel. We always appreciate guest feedback and are already looking forward to your next visit. Kat will be waiting for you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived from overseas at the Winterset Suites only to find out, that the hotel was overbooked. Even though we booked one year ahead for 3 nights (prior to a cruise) !!! We also wrote a mail one week ahead of time to let them know that we are looking forward to staying with them. They did not mention anything at that time. We were very disappointed. At the reception they couldn't tell us what the reason was in our case. We were sent to the Cocobelle resort instead which was ok but had only one pool and our studio was on the bottom right infront of chairs and a table for guests. Not that quiet like they mentioned at the reception. At hte Winterset Suites we had booked Deluxe Studios on the second floor. That's why we cannot not recommend this resort and its sister hotels.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank shayenne
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Winterset Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
shayenne,
You are 100% correct. Booking a year in advance should guarantee you a room and we really apologize for walking you to a sister hotel. This is definitely not the usual practice and hope that you'll give us a chance to show you what is. We appreciate your review. Thanks, NBV
Lund, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

You hear other guests outside your room, even if they are whispering! Vice versa, you really need to think about what conversation you have in your room cause everyone at the pool will hear you. The doors and walls are not straight but leaning. The floor leans as well. There are many cracks in the tile floor. There is no space next to the sink for bathroom necessities. Shower not working well, in the middle of a shower it tends to give short bursts of either very hot or freezing cold water. The standard room is ridiculously small with no desk or chair to place stuff on. Upon asking for a later check-out, the staff couldn't give me one extra hour but told me I had to check with them the same day I was going to checkout, but even so they could not guarantee anything - can't really call that great customer service. The beds were hard and squeaky -very uncomfortable. There was some kind of plastic cover underneath the sheets, which made it hot and sweaty when sleeping. During the nights, I woke up many times, hoping it was morning so I didn't have to lie in the bed any longer.

We got paper cups for the coffee machine the first day, but these were replaced by plastic cups the next day. When I asked the cleaning staff for paper cups, the claimed they did not have any - though I noticed they had them on the cleaning cart. The second day, our room was not cleaned when we checked back in the afternoon (even though the neighboring rooms had been cleaning in the morning) so I had to remind the front desk and finally the room got cleaned sometime during the afternoon/evening.

The location is great, as it is close to both the airport and the beach. The pool is good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ChrisWorldWide_A
ChrisWorldWide_A,
We know that we can do better and hope that you'll let us! We hope that you will give us a call next time you're visiting Ft. Lauderdale Beach area and let us redeem ourselves! We have a lot of hotels and are sure that we could find your perfect fit. We do appreciate your review. Take care, NBV
Riverhead, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were in Ft. Lauderdale in February because we were going on a cruise out of Port Everglades. We only stayed the night before our cruise. The clerk in the office that checked us in was friendly and efficient. We had a reservation for the 2nd floor. She noticed that my huband was using a cane so she offered us a suite on the first floor. The room was clean but average. Nothing spectacular. The bed was very soft and also very low which made it difficult to get out of. The furnishings were average and a few of the chairs and table were in need of repair. There was a kitchenette area with a refrigerator and stove. The landscaping was very pretty and well kept. When I booked this hotel last summer, the website gave a higher rating than what it was when we stayed there. It had 3 swiming pools and a jacuzzi hot tub outside. The room was $149.00 a night which I am told is a good price for the area and time of year we visited. There was limited parking. There weren't any amenities that we know of except the pools. We asked the woman who checked us in to recommend a restaurant for dinner and she could not help us. There was no information about the surrounding area available in the room. There was a coffee machine and coffee available in the room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ratkins3
ratkins3,
Thanks for your review. We hope that you had a great time on your cruise and hope that you can stay with us longer next time. Some other amenities that we do offer are complimentary parking and wi-fi and we recently added a shuttle service. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into the items you mentioned. Take care, NBV
Huntington Station, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

First, I have to say the customer service here is amazing... Thanks to Gina and Kat. Gina really took care of us and only wanted us to be happy... We returned to stay again because of this! The place has beautiful landscaping and lizards all around... Not a typical hotel, Art Deco from the 1950s. Beautiful smell I think of hibiscus going through the motel... The negatives are the other guests. Some guests think its ok to yell at the kids in the pool if they are noisy. The smoking was bad too. There are 3 pools but only one really usable because the other 2 are freezing. One of the other pools I saw some people use but it was too cold for us! You can hear the noise from the other rooms, it's an old fashioned kind of place. But it's beautiful and quaint and they get to know you. All ikea stuff beds are very low, doubles, not the most comfortable... But everything else would make me return. Location is great 2 blocks to beach and safe area....

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Winterset Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
sally r,
Wow! What a nice thing to say. We love our guests and are so happy that is shows! We can always add amenities to our hotels but customer service, sincere customer service, is our number one priority! Thanks so much for your review. Gina and Kat will be here waiting!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The north beach village has unique hotels with many room types available. My children and I stayed at beach gargens as well as the winterset. Both are beautiful locations- we spent more time at the winterset and it began to feel more like home to us. It had three nice pools and lovely gardens and was very family friendly. The management, especially Abigail really went out of her way in making us feel welcome- my kids absolutely adored her - (especially my daughter who visited her every day with shells or flowers.)Abbie was so sweet, patient, and thoughtful! She took pictures of me and my kids together for me (single moms are rarely in the pics) and was so hospitable. It was so important that I felt at ease and welcome with my three children. I am a single mother with terminal cancer- this may be my last vacation and I wanted a peaceful, memorable, family friendly place to spend time with my children. I wasn't sure I could afford to flee our NY winter to come to florida but this hotel has it all-at a fair price:) Dawn m. Hood

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank thedawn236
Dear Dawn,
You brought tears to our eyes. We are so sorry to hear about your illness, and are very honored that we were able to be a part of your vacation. Please let us know if there's anything we can do. If your daughter would like to call and talk with Abigail, she can reach her at 954-565-5790. You're our family now:) Take care, NBV
tamworth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

After reading the reviews we were realy looking forward to going to the Winterset after our cruise.On arrival we found that although there was a coffee machine in our studio apartment there was'nt any mugs or crockery or cutlery.I went to reception to request 2 mugs to be told " we do not provide mugs in studios" to which I replied " well what is the point of a coffee machine".With this she said she would get me two I asked if I should wait for them and she replied that they would be delivered to our room. They were never delivered so we went out and purchased our own.This motel has paper thin walls and it was not helped that we were sandwiched between 2 rooms that had 6 people in one and 7 in the other. Because there was so many occupants in each room they were sitting outside and because there was not enough room outside their rooms they were sat outside ours from about 7.30 each morning and the noise was intolerable.We recognise that people are on holiday and wish to enjoy themselves but not at the expense of others. We blame the motel for allowing so many people to use one apartment and that they should do something to soundproof the walls. The air conditioning is very noisy. In fact we were unable to sleep with it on, also the taps in the bathroom were in need of replacing as they were very stiff and dripping. The linen was nice and white but the sheets were badly stained ( with i hate to think what)!!!!Although the room looked nice and clean when walking on the tiled floor it was always very sticky Because they have no curtains up to doors and windows the light shines through all night from the lamps outside and the morning light wakes you realy early.Up to arriving at the Winterset we had had a wonderful Holiday but this was spoiled by things that could be put right so easily at this motel. I have completed Hotel reviews before but this is the first bad one I have done. The motel is very well placed for the beach and waterways and the gardens are lovely but this is let down by all the above.

Room Tip: Until something is done about the paper thin walls and also the noisy A/C i would not recommend any...