“A good place to stay”

The Worthington Guest House
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We had a nice visit to the Worthington, it is essentially a decent example of modern gay accommodation. It has most of what you need to have a good holiday. Average age of guests is approx 50 if you want younger you may want to look elsewhere.

Positives
Room clean tidy and cleaning staff were more than helpful (Edgar in particular).
Always busy enough if you are wanting to make friends.
Good location and close to the beach.
Rates reflect value for money and you do not feel like you are overpaying for the privilege of having a gay vacation.

Negatives
No clock in room, it's nice to see the time especially if you wake in the night.
Music selection is so varied that it is not enjoyable, heavy instrumental circuit mixes at 10am or downer songs like 'rain (who wants to hear about that when laying in the sunshine), Long & winding road & the Madonna song 'in this life' about the loss of life through AIDS. I was also ready to kill when all 9 mixes of Adele's Rolling in the deep were played consecutively. As the average age is 50 a few guests commented to me how they also were not enjoying the music or how loud it was. The owner Jay is very proud of his song choices and told me i wont hear these elsewhere, unless anyone uses itunes. I would recommend you pack an iPod and you can then choose for yourself.
The owner Jim isn't charismatic he doesn't make any effort to speak to you (like saying good morning when you are at breakfast alone in the office) and will not engage you in conversation. This is a shame as he seems a nice guy.
Saturday happy hour appears to be a chore to the owners, they didn't appear interested and it is a good opportunity to engage their guests in conversation.
No daily happy hour, I would be willing to pay more for the nightly rate and have this daily. It's a good time for people to mix and would help those alone or who are shy.
Sleazy after dark, if you came for sex you will certainly find it night.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lafarge A
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your review, it's very interesting. Let me thank you again for the positives, as for your negatives I'll have to take issue with most. Every room in the resort has CD/MP3/Alarm clock, maybe you didn't notice it or should have asked and we would have gladly pointed it out although they are quite obvious.
We play morning music till about 11:30 am at a very comfortable background volume, not loud by any means and no club remixes in the morning. Music is very subjective, maybe it wasn't of your liking, we do not get many complaints about it. Jay is not an owner, he is an employee that does the music. The only time we have the volume higher is during Saturday's meet & greet. We have approx. 10K songs on the ipod which is on shuffle so its difficult to believe 9 songs of the same artist played consecutively , but I guess not impossible.
I open the office each morning at 6:00 am set up for the 8:00am breakfast, I make a point to say good morning to everyone that walks in the office, the only exception why I may not have seen you is possible doing payroll or on the phone. I love my Job and speaking with my guests.
I look forward to each Saturday afternoon where I personally by choice help set up and take an active roll during the meet & greet. I enjoy very much speaking with my guests from around the world. If you read most of the other reviews here you will find they certainly differ from your opinion. We try to please everyone, but at times one simply can't please all.
If you would like on on site bar in a Hotel I suggest the W Hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.
Take care and Happy travels to you.
Jim Durhan

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Cannot say enough about our recent stay, so much fun, very clean including the rooms, pools, hot tub, and grounds. We were totally impressed. A very short walk to the beach. We will be going back for future visits.
A great clothing opitional place, very much a wide range of ages, super friendly people.

Room Tip: The Worthington side seems to be a bit more where all the action is, the Azachier (sp) side is the q...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeachbumOBX01
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights at the Worthington Guest House, and were completely satisfied with our stay. The two pools, decks, and hot tub are surrounded with tropical, blooming plants and trees, offering a very relaxing environment. We were both looking for a place to simply relax due to stressful jobs, but did find ourselves mixing and mingling with other guests. The staff was very helpful and courteous, and the room was always clean and well kept. We had an especially-bright, sunny room which received a lot of sunlight in the mornings when the drapes were open. We definitely recommend the Worthington to others, and will definitely stay there again when we are in Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: We had the good luck to have a room on the first floor to avoid the walkup to the higher levels. How...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Worthington Alcazar is very well maintained, clean, and staffed by friendly people. Located two short blocks from the beach, the resort is off the main strip, but less traffic meant a quieter stay. The king room was large with tile floors, A/C, refrigerator and a ceiling fan. A large flat screen TV mounted to the wall made watching from bed comfortable. The tropical foliage, swimming pools, hot tub, morning continental breakfasts, and Saturday evening free cocktails made for a very pleasurable stay. I certainly recommend this property.

Room Tip: The entire ground floor is clothing optional.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Had an amazing 5 days at the Worthington. Other guests and staff were very friendly. Loved our room. Definitely made for a great 30th birthday!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank RShetley
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Staff first of all is wonderful everyone was accommodating and ready to help. The people there were friendly and I made new friends. Several are headed back Labor Day and if not for previous plans I would be too. Love it that people respect you I definitely will stay here again

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jmdawg
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Worthington/Alcazar. The grounds were beautiful and immaculate. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were quiet and comfortable but needed an additional chair and a microwave. It would have been nice to be able to bring dinner leftovers back to the hotel for a midnight snack. The mattress was the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple