“Where else can you play nude "Princess Volleyball". Awesome!!!!”

The Worthington Guest House
Twin Falls, Idaho
“Where else can you play nude "Princess Volleyball". Awesome!!!!”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

What can I say. Do you want an awesome, cute, and friendly staff? Do you seek a new adventure everyday at the resort? Do you want to get an all over tan without getting arrested at the local beach? Maybe you so just want some relaxation, peace and quiet, or meet someone new each day of your visit? Great news! Book your stay here and put your mind at rest knowing you just made a great decision. I flew in from the west coast and wasn't sure what to expect. Wow. It was a blast. The room was very clean. The bed was so comfy with pillows to spare. Loved the shower. The pool and hot tub experience was one of a kind. Was a little hesitant of the clothing opitional thing. Mostly because of my shyness factor. By the end of my stay, I couldnt help not go nude for tanning, swimming, soaking in the hot tub, and of course, playing PRINCESS VOLLEYBALL at midnight with the guys also staying at the resort. The beach ball in the pool has Disney Princess characters on it, so hence the name. Room 220 overlooked the pool and hot tub. Awesome room. Resort is very close to the beach. Easy walking distance. Sebastian part of the beach is about a rough swift walk of 10-15 minute max (the beach itself is a couple short blocks over then a nice stroll along the beach or outer sidewalk to Sebastian). Snacks for breakfast was healthy and filling for the tummy as well. If you haven't been to an all guy resort or know the area, the staff was super sweet, helpful, and informative. I can go on and on for all the best reasons, however, the choice and decision is yours to make. I made the right choice and will definitely come back! No "if's" about how much fun this place is to stay at. Bottom line, "Just DO IT"
Jeff Shedd
Idaho
(more potatoes, not as many guys here)

Room Tip: Room 220. Overlooked the pool and hot tub. Closest room to the front gate and the courtyard pool are...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jeff s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I chose the Worthington based on an online search of gay resorts in FLL and comments left here on Tripadvisor. I have to say that chosing my room online (211) was a nice advantage and I was happy to have made a good choice in that location at the resort.

I was on the second floor on the Alcazar side of the resort and it was a spacious room (compared to a couple I had seen on my trip) with a nice king sized bed that was VERY comfortable to sleep in. The room was quiet and other than housekeeping staff passing by in the mornings (their supply room was close by) and guys staying in 213 who had 2 small dogs who would bark from time to time, it was a peaceful spot. A couple I met from Great Britain were on the third floor and you could certainly hear traffic noise and whatnot from Birch Street.

I loved the layout of my room and was pleased with the decent-sized refrigerator that did NOT include a wet bar, so I was able to store beer and food I purchased at the local Publix without having to shift anything left in there if it had been a true wet bar. Was nice to check out DVDs from the front desk; yet, I was disappointed that my DVD player was on the fritz....no power to it at all; when I pulled out the dresser/entertainment center to check the plug connections, I was a bit surprised to find a dirty pair of underwear left behind there. I had to laugh a little because, well, if I were staying at the Westin, then this might be a big problem. lol I was able to get a new DVD player within a reasonable amount of time.There was also remodeling/construction going on in the room below mine....there was some noise that I could hear, but thankfully, this did not start until later in the morning and was not a problem for me at all.

There are two pools at the resort and the one closest to my room did not have the hot tub, so typically there were not as many guests there...just the same, the water seemed cooler than the pool on the other side (both of the them saltwater, btw). I spent the majority of my time at the pool/hot tub on the opposite end of the resort. There were a few nights I found myself alone, but slow but sure, other guests trickled in and I had a great time chatting with them and thoroughly enjoying myself.

If I had any complaint it was more incidental things about the layout of the resort: 1. There was no public bathroom by either pool and it was a little bit of a trek to get back to my room to take care of business. 2. Not sure where they would put it, but a bar by either pool would certainly lend itself to more socializing--especially for those of us who travel alone (not that I had any problem making friends while I was there). and 3. I wish there was a recycling program for all the cans and bottles I went through....although I don't know how practical that would be.

The continental breakfast was adequate (not much of a breakfast person here) and it was nice to grab a cup of coffee and a pastry to keep me sated until later. All the staff was friendly and accomodating to whatever I needed.

Would I stay here again? Possibly. I spent time at a nearby resort that was about $20 more a night than what I paid, and might want to try that one out upon my next trip, but realistically, I didnt find anything at the Worthington that made me think that I was ripped off or unfairly treated that I couldnt recommend this place to anyone. Certainly had a fantastic time and loved the accomodations!

Room Tip: Worthington is the side with more activity to it (with the hot tub) and Alcazar is a bit more subdue...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The Worthington and their staff do an incredible job at creating a very open and very friendly atmosphere to relax and meet some fantastic people from all over. My partner and I had a great time hanging out and seldom left the grounds.
Room 226 has a perfect view of the pool and hot tub. Vending and ice machine was just down a flight of stairs. The king mattress was comfortably firm and pillows were overflowing.
The window AC unit was quick to cool the Florida heat and the mini fridge was large enough to store a large pizza box with room left over for mixers and booze.
I am glad the owners kept the hardwood floors. It added to the charm of the unit unlike the overly tiled guesthouses we have been to before.
Service on the rooms to replace towels and tidy up was quick and usually happened while we were down enjoying breakfast and sharing gossip from the night before.
Both pools had plenty of chairs for lounging poolside and Sebastian Beach is within walking distance. A heavy rain storm kept us in one afternoon, but a quick call for take out made for a friendly indoor gathering.
It's easy to see why all the rooms were filled. A+ guys! We look forward to our next trip back.

Room Tip: I prefer the Worthington side over Alcazar. The pool area had a better design and people seemed to g...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny C
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Worthington June 27 - July 3 and had an incredible time. We come to Lauderdale about 2-3 times a year and have always stayed at other guest houses. This was our first trip staying at the Worthington and we have found our new home. We absolutely loved it. There was a great group of men who were staying there all of them very nice and it seemed that everyone got along great as we often met out at the bars in the evening. The happy hour on Saturday afternoon was a blast. Not just beer and wine as with some other places...they basically had a full bar to mix whatever your tastebuds desired! To say the rooms are clean is an understatement. The rooms are IMMACULATE. The staff is amazing. Always with a smile and a good morning when they see you. We liked it so much we booked to come back over Labor Day weekend. If you are looking for a place to stay you should really consider the Worthington in my opinion you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The staffs are very friendly, polite and helpful. Having a feeling of home (US Homey or UK Homely); cozy and comfortable; "the homely everyday atmosphere"; "a homey little inn" The room I stayed for 3 nights it was liked a 5 star hotel, everything are there full of information about Fort Lauderdale areas and very cleaned. It was a nice breakfast the way they were providing, it's an optional healthy breakfast i.e. fresh fruits, milk & uncooked oats. The mini-gym is very handy I can do all sort of weight lifting exercises by using nice sets of dumb-bells. The swimming pool is fantastic and landscaped beautifully, stunning tropical plants, of course reminds me back home in the Philippines. Most of the guest were friendly Americans or foreigners feeling with unity in the guest house. It's a walking distance to the Sebastian beach, in fact 2 blocks away from the main beach, also very convenience to find something to eat and do a grocery shopping. Lastly, very easy to get to Wilton Manors where the majority gay community are there. Honestly when I returned here in Britain such a wonderful place to stay. I miss this guest house I would love to stay here in again may be in November 2012. It's highly recommended to both my gay friends in the UK and the Philippines.
Once again, from the bottom of my heart, to ALL Staffs also to Jim, a BIG thanks for your kind hospitality, and keep up the good management! :-D

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank santosimao6
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Our flight from NYC arrived 8 hours late because of storms across the East Coast and we arrived at the hotel at 6 a.m. rather than 10 p.m. the night before.

While check-in was not open yet (and wouldn’t have been open even if we’d arrived on time the night before), we were able to easily retrieve our key from the lock box and, finally, after are arduous travel, fall into one of the most comfortable beds in which I’ve ever slept.

We awoke a few hours later and enjoyed breakfast by the pool. The offerings are simple, fruits, pastries, cereal, but good.

We then headed out to Sebastian Street beach a few blocks away (Note to New Yorkers: a block is Fort Lauderdale is like six blocks in Manhattan – so be prepared. Also note, that the beach near the hotel is just as nice). The hotel had towels, chairs and umbrellas available for guest to take to the beach – a nice touch.

At a guest house like this, the other guests make all the difference. Fortunately, both the Worthington and Alcazar seemed near capacity over the nine days night we were there. (The parking lots at some of the neighboring guesthouses were noticeably empty.) We met a number of lovely people.

My only suggestion would be to increase the number of days with the poolside happy hour from Saturday-only to, perhaps, Friday-Sunday. (Sadly we missed it both Saturdays we were in FLL but were told it was a great deal of fun).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NowVoyager_NYC_NY
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

We had a nice visit to the Worthington, it is essentially a decent example of modern gay accommodation. It has most of what you need to have a good holiday. Average age of guests is approx 50 if you want younger you may want to look elsewhere.

Positives
Room clean tidy and cleaning staff were more than helpful (Edgar in particular).
Always busy enough if you are wanting to make friends.
Good location and close to the beach.
Rates reflect value for money and you do not feel like you are overpaying for the privilege of having a gay vacation.

Negatives
No clock in room, it's nice to see the time especially if you wake in the night.
Music selection is so varied that it is not enjoyable, heavy instrumental circuit mixes at 10am or downer songs like 'rain (who wants to hear about that when laying in the sunshine), Long & winding road & the Madonna song 'in this life' about the loss of life through AIDS. I was also ready to kill when all 9 mixes of Adele's Rolling in the deep were played consecutively. As the average age is 50 a few guests commented to me how they also were not enjoying the music or how loud it was. The owner Jay is very proud of his song choices and told me i wont hear these elsewhere, unless anyone uses itunes. I would recommend you pack an iPod and you can then choose for yourself.
The owner Jim isn't charismatic he doesn't make any effort to speak to you (like saying good morning when you are at breakfast alone in the office) and will not engage you in conversation. This is a shame as he seems a nice guy.
Saturday happy hour appears to be a chore to the owners, they didn't appear interested and it is a good opportunity to engage their guests in conversation.
No daily happy hour, I would be willing to pay more for the nightly rate and have this daily. It's a good time for people to mix and would help those alone or who are shy.
Sleazy after dark, if you came for sex you will certainly find it night.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lafarge A
, Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for your review, it's very interesting. Let me thank you again for the positives, as for your negatives I'll have to take issue with most. Every room in the resort has CD/MP3/Alarm clock, maybe you didn't notice it or should have asked and we would have gladly pointed it out although they are quite obvious.
We play morning music till about 11:30 am at a very comfortable background volume, not loud by any means and no club remixes in the morning. Music is very subjective, maybe it wasn't of your liking, we do not get many complaints about it. Jay is not an owner, he is an employee that does the music. The only time we have the volume higher is during Saturday's meet & greet. We have approx. 10K songs on the ipod which is on shuffle so its difficult to believe 9 songs of the same artist played consecutively , but I guess not impossible.
I open the office each morning at 6:00 am set up for the 8:00am breakfast, I make a point to say good morning to everyone that walks in the office, the only exception why I may not have seen you is possible doing payroll or on the phone. I love my Job and speaking with my guests.
I look forward to each Saturday afternoon where I personally by choice help set up and take an active roll during the meet & greet. I enjoy very much speaking with my guests from around the world. If you read most of the other reviews here you will find they certainly differ from your opinion. We try to please everyone, but at times one simply can't please all.
If you would like on on site bar in a Hotel I suggest the W Hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.
Take care and Happy travels to you.
Jim Durhan