“Quiet and Comfortable”

TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West
Ranked #74 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 September 2009

The location was convenient for my needs. The property was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that the maid entered without knocking and/or announcing herself. Not acceptable under any circumstance.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
amccrae, Manager at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2009

Dear djshaw1957,
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale. We are glad that you found our hotel to be “clean and comfortable.” As an extended stay property we strive to make our guests feel as if the hotel is their home away from home.

On the other hand, I sincerely apologize that one of our housekeepers entered your room unannounced. Please know that this is not a standard practice of ours and this incident will be immediately addressed and resolved.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will join us again on your next visit to Fort Lauderdale.

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West

Reviewed 16 August 2009

I am currently sitting in the room that is not even close to what the website describes or what the booking agent described on the phone. Thank God as a government employee I could cancel the remaining 5 days of my stay and move to another hotel. I was told I was booking a 2 room suite, with wireless internet and a 35" flat panel television. What I got was a one room suite (sort of), with a 19" CRT TV, that only faces the small sofa, and hard wired internet... not that big of a deal, but I like to sit on the bed and work while the TV is on.... so this doesn't really work too well. The room smells rancid, like mold, mildew and smoke....even though the hotel states its a smoke free property. There is a small kitchenette, but it is barely big enough to open anything (cabinets, fridge...etc) without backing out into the room. The fridge is a modest 16 Cubic Feet, but smells like it was purchased at a garage sale in 1972, or maybe its just the room.

My room is midway down the hall on the 3rd floor, but the one elevator is at the opposite end of the building and the stairs are at the other. The A/C in the elevator isn't working and it was a nice stifling heatwave when we stepped inside. Additionally, there are no doors from the back parking lot, so if you arrive and the middle lot is full, hire the kid at the pool to drag your bags.

Speaking of the pool, nice creative photography on the website...doesn't look anything like the photo unless you squint. The pool is extremely small, my garage at home is larger, and smashed between one wall of the hotel and a row of hedges. I arrived at night and I doubt the pool ever sees the sun.

Marriot Hotels.....nice try at sprucing up a rather lackluster hotel. Either this hotel isn't up to your standards or your standards are falling.....

EPIC FAIL

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank clarkark
dattardi, management and ownership group at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2009

Hello clarkark –

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. As odd as it sounds, we really do appreciate hearing this kind of feedback about our hotel because these are things we have to know and that we must address to improve our facility and our service.

Having said that, I sincerely apologize that you did not have a good experience at our hotel. As a select-service hotel specifically designed for the extended-stay traveler, there are a lot of amenities in each room, including the full kitchen, which can sometime make the space seemed cramped.

I am sorry to hear that the information you saw/read on the website did not match what you encountered in the room. I can assure you that we are going to carefully “scrub” all of our content on-line and make certain that our web sites paint a clear and accurate picture of our hotel. Regarding the TVs specifically, again I am sorry there was a miscommunication about the types of TVs in the rooms. For what it’s worth, we were hoping to have 32” flat panels in all our rooms by this summer, but due to the state of these economic times, we were forced to make some tough decisions, and unfortunately the TVs got postponed to a later date.

Also, I am sorry that the room and elevator temperature were not comfortable, we have had our maintenance team dig into this issue and we are addressing it immediately.

And regarding our pool, as you mentioned, it is not the biggest pool in the world, but it is quite quaint and certainly gets the job done when you are looking for a quick cool-down from the south Florida heat.

So, again, I deeply apologize you did not have a great experience, but I assure you that we are addressing all the issues you identified and we will use this feedback to improve our service moving forward. We hope that you will give us a second chance and that we can have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Thank you again and travel safely!

Reviewed 11 June 2009

We chose to stay here because of frequent stay points. It was a nice room, the front desk was not overly attentive nor willing to go above and beyond for anybody. Our room was a queen with a pullout sofa, there were no linens for the sofa bed in the room. My husband called the front desk and they told him to come over and get them. He returned with two flat sheets, a ratty looking blanket and no pillows. We ended up giving our daughter the comforter off of our bed and several of our pillows. The room had a nice work area and cute little kitchen, we used neither.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kukatie1
lybarra, E-Marketing Sales Manager at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2009

Good day Kukatie,
Thank you for your feedback on the trip advisor review board. Thank you for choosing TownePlace Suites Ft. Lauderdale for your reward point stay, and taking time to write a review. The reviews are so important to ensuring our standards are always the highest as well as continually improving. I apologize that the front desk staff was not attentive to your needs and that no one was able to bring the bedding to your room. I know I don’t like to have to go to the desk or housekeeping departments, when I’m ready for bed.
We do not use fitted sheets for the sleeper sofa beds as they get caught and tear under the mattress. The blankets that are frayed have been replaced. We are glad you found the location convenient, and the home office and kitchen accommodating.
Again, thank you very much for your feedback, we look forward to your hosting your in the future.

Reviewed 8 February 2009

I was shocked to see a sign hanging in the room that there was a extra fee of $12 per night if you wanted "clean" sheets....otherwise they were changed every 7 days. I don't know about you but when I stay at a Marriott and pay over $100 per night I expect clean sheets every day as part of the room charge. I'm glad I stayed only one night & didn't have to deal with this policy some moron decided to implement...I'm sure it will increase his business!!!! Also the TV was like back in the 50's It was a 19" tube style TV...needless to say I couldn't even see it from the bed. I would expect at least a 32" as the smallest in a Marriott suite....Won't stay there ever again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JPNNH
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2009

Hello, JPNNH –

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback in your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate your visit to the hotel and for taking the time to submit a review. We take all reviews very seriously, as we look for every opportunity we can get to improve our service.

Having said that, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had at our hotel, and we regret that your stay didn’t meet all your expectations. Regarding the sheet cleaning policy, as a property that is designed to be an extended-stay hotel, it is important that we meet our guests’ needs and provide them with a clean, safe, and crisp hotel room, while balancing the lean resources that an extended-stay hotel affords. From years of experience, we have found that changing sheets every seven days is the most convenient for the most number of guests, as well as the most practical for our hotel operation. However, just to clarify… all guests receive one sheet change every 7-days, it is only additional changes for which we charge. Regardless, you do raise a very valid point that, undoubtedly, represents the sentiment of many of our guests, so I assure you that we will revisit this policy and decide if we should change it or not as we move forward. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Also, we apologize that the room’s TV wasn’t large enough for your taste and didn’t allow you to see it from the bed. In fact, we understand your concern and agree with you so much that we had planned to replace our current TVs with 32” flat panel televisions earlier this year. However, given our current economy, we are feeling the tough times as much as anyone, so we decided to hold off on spending the money for a TV upgrade until next year. So, we assure you this is something that we are fully aware of and will address very soon.

And lastly, the next time you stay with us, please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

Again, thank you very much for your posting; we will most certainly use this feedback to improve our service, and hopefully we will have the pleasure to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2008

What a miserable week. I'm just glad I didn't pay for this trip.

My company sent me to Ft. Lauderdale for a week long workshop and the workshop company booked the hotel and it was included in the workshop cost, otherwise I would have high-tailed it out of there the first night.

The hotel sits right at a busy intersection and at the end of an airport. Most hotels seem to have a problem with soundproofing and this one is no exception.

The first room I was given (room 113) had a very nasty funky odor. Sometimes your nose will get used to an odor and you won't smell it anymore. Not this place. It was constant. The room was on the side of the hotel facing one of the busy streets and the noise was also constant.

I opened the curtains at one point and discovered MOLD in-between the double panes in the window. The air conditioner was directly beneath the window and I couldn't help but wonder if it too had mold and if that was the funk I was smelling.

After the first night I asked for another room and they told me they only had one. It was room 104 and unfortunately it was on the ground floor by the pool. A main entrance door was also next to the room. There was constant traffic through that door at all hours of the day and night with people inserting their room key to unlock the door and the door slamming shut. "KACHUNK.....SLAM!!!" "KACHUNK....SLAM!!"

The first night in that room I was awakened at 2am by a hotel employee emptying the trash cans around the pool and rearranging the pool furniture. "BANG!....CRASH!...SKREEK!!" This turned out to be a regular wee hours ritual.

I ended up buying an electric fan to put on the nightstand by my head in an attempt to create "white noise" to drown out the other noise. It didn't work.

Another minus for this place is the fact it's in the middle of nowhere regarding restaurants or shopping. There is nothing within walking distance other than a 7-11. Some of my workshop classmates had flown in from other cities and didn't have cars. They were not happy.

I'll never stay at this place again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jedidad
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2009

Hello... First of all, thank you very much for your feedback and for taking the time to post a review. We honestly appreciate all feedback because we are always looking for ways to make our hotel better and improve our service.

Having said that, i sincerely apologize that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy our location, but many of our guests find it to be a great location; very convenient to the airport, I-95, and the great things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.

Regarding your room, i am so sorry that your room had a bad odor. You will be happy to know that since your stay with us (over a year ago) our hotel has gone through some significant improvements, including an enhancement to all the guest suites. So i am very certain that the issues you experiences have been resolved.

However, regardless, i apologize for your bad experience and i regret that you didn't have a great time at our hotel. I only hope that you give us a second chance and that we get the opportunity to serve you again in the near future so we can redeem ourselves.

thank you again for your feedback. we hope to see you again soon.

Best,
TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale

Reviewed 21 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews written here. According to the reviews, written both before and after my aborted stay, I was expecting a clean atmosphere for my kids and myself. I WAS WRONG!!! We arrived at about midnight, exhausted after a 12 hour drive. Yes the two staff members we met were both very nice and went out of their way to help us. But the first room we were assigned (a two bedroom suite) was horrible. The smell hit us as soon as we hit the door! It smelled like a urinal on a bad day or horse barns on a good day. Obviously this room had been used for travelers with pets and had not been sanitized properly!!!!!!!!! They were able to find us two adjoining singles (after much searching by the security guard; apparently they cannot tell if the rooms are adjoining unless they go physically to the room and look.) The smell in the second room was more like a bad restaurant...The bugs were worse!!! We were being eaten alive !!! We hit the road at 3AM in search of another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank searching_for_a_home
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We stayed a few days for a family getaway, and felt it was a good choice. The immediate location is rather bland, but you are in the center of Broward County and can drive anywhere. It was great to have a kitchen and not have to eat out all the time. Free internet is a plus. We found the hotel to be clean, and the staff were very friendly. For the price ($109 - studio), this is a great value for families or business travelers.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dezmond