“The Staff Makes This Hotel Great!”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Ranked #23 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We were a group of ten that stayed at the Marriott North for one night prior to going on a cruise. Our flight got into Fort Lauderdale late in the evening. Their restaurants/lounges were just closing. We hadn't yet had our dinner, so the hotel arranged for the lounge to stay open so that we could have a late supper. This was totally unexpected and very much appreciated. What we didn't realize at the moment was that this was very indicative of the hospitality of the hotel. The food was top-notch, which is not always the case when it comes to lounges. From check in to check out, the staff was unparalleled. Our rooms were modern, well-stocked, and well-kept. At breakfast they had a hot and cold buffet for those who did not want to order off the menu. Again, the food was of great quality. I had an omelette, which was moist and delicious. Everyone in the group agreed that on the next cruise departing from Fort Lauderdale, the Marriott North will be our first choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy that our staff went above and beyond to help you with your late night meal. I feel that we do have the BEST team in south Florida and they would do anything for our guests. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed all of your meals. We have an excellent chef who is extremely creative and well versed in all culinary delights. We hope to see you again when you are down our way!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights before a cruise. The hotel is beautiful, they have good food. The staff is excellent. Our first room had a odor they changed our room with no problem. The rooms are large. The room did not have a refrigerator I ask about one and it one was brought to our room very quickly. There is a strip mall across the street. They have a shuttle that with take you there. ,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your nice review. I am so happy to see that you were well taken care of by our staff and that you found our hotel to be beautiful. I am also happy to see that you did enjoy the shopping and restaurants right across the street from us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I booked three rooms at the Marriott for only one night and I am glad it was just one night. The lobby looks great an updated but the rooms are a bit dated and musty. The front desk staff was great and check-in and check-out went smooth.

I had booked a special rate that included 2 drinks per room. At check-in I inquired about the drinks and the rep didn't know what I was talking about. However, he immediately got the information from another staff member. I was informed that I could use the drinks at the bar that evening or in the morning for coffee.

Unfortunately, the next morning the person working at the Cafe Bean & Brew didn't know about it and didn't want to be bothered with finding a manager that could assist us. All she cared was who gave us the drink coupons, why, etc. . . . after a while of going back and forth she did give us 2 free coffees. You would think I was asking for something more with her attitude. It was obvious that she was happy reading her book that morning and I came along and interrupted.

If you are doing an overnight trip this hotel will work just fine. If you are looking for a long stay, look somewhere else.

1  Thank worldtraveler428
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our new lobby and that our check-in was quick and easy. We did renovate the entire hotel a couple of years ago. In fact, we won the prestigious "Marriott Renovation" award. I am sorry that the staff did not know about the drink coupons. This was an oversight as it was a limited time package we offered. I will share your comments with the staff so that this does not happen again. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Very conveniently located just off I-95 and only about 10 minutes from the beach or 15 minutes from the Fort Lauderdale airport. Nice enough but the service is not up to the family name.

From check in to check out, there were lapses. Not being recognized as a regular guest. Concierge lounge not having decaf coffee available at 9 PM. Needing two requests to unplug a bathtub drain. Public computer that won't print the boarding passes. Loud and long staff conversations in the elevator lobby (right outside our room.)

The whole place seems to need a refurbishment. Perhaps that is coming.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator lobbies - staff seems to find them an ideal place to chit chat.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to hear that you considered our hotel to be a "good value" and that we are centrally located. I am sorry that you did experience a lapse in service. I can assure you that this is not the norm for us and it was an isolated incident. I am happy however to announce that we just finished upgrading all of our guest computers. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

sleeping quality is great like mostly you will get from Marriott hotel and resorts. Amenities are attractive bath & body apothecary line, good coffee and plenty watermellon water and pillows!! NOW,the maintanece issues with dirty balconies, but real dirty and scratches on every elevators frame and paint is a huge NO.. I'm a platinum member and I couldn't believe the only benefit was free breakfast and a Fading paint inside the balcony... I was so tempted to take a picture, but I'm not that kind of consumer.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy that you enjoyed our beds and in-room amenities. I truly feel we do have the BEST beds in the industry. I am happy to see that you also enjoyed our flavored water in the lobby. I am sorry that our balconies were not up to par, but I am happy to let you know that we are just finishing up the painting of all of our balconies. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Decent spot for a pre-cruise stay. Children enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi. Gym is a bit dated but served the purpose just fine. Check-in and out was a breeze.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our beautiful rooftop pool and Jacuzzi. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were put in this hotel as a post cruise night stay, we arrived at 12 noon and we were not leaving until 4.oopm the following day.

Room fine, but no information in the room that you come to expect, e.g details of local restaurants
The staff were welcoming and we were given a later check out to accommodate our flight.

We were however unable to get details about transport to the beach etc. We expected this info to be in the room , only that the porter ever heard our request and he advised us about getting a taxi, which proved costly. It would have been useful if we could have got info on public transport.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff. I was happy to see that they extended you a late check-out. I am proud to announce that we just received our brand new guest directories and they are in every room. While you were here, they were being replaced. I am so sorry that you did not have one in your room. Also, our concierge staff are available 24/7 and they do have the Marriott branded uniforms. My apologies if you thought they were porters. We hope to see you again soon!