“Loved the Staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Loved the Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had such a great experience here!The location was super convenient. My husband was traveling to different dive sites and this location worked out so well. The rooms were nice but the best part about this hotel- the staff. Everyone we met went out or the way to be friendly and helpful. Really felt the positive energy here and hope to go back soon. The lounge had a good breakfast and great snacks. I have to say it again the staff - truly outstanding. A big Thank You to all of you!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am thrilled that you found out hotel to be in a "super convenient location" and that you found our staff to "friendly and helpful". I also see that you enjoyed the food in our BlueFire Grill. I do hope that you stay with us again when you are in our area and once again, thanks so much!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice for business meetings both times had to evacute room due to fire. The first time a motor in the elevator started smoking, visible smoke in all hallways. The fire alarms did not work and no lights in fire escape. Last week stayed again and power went out and hallways smelled of smoke, fire alarms worked this time. Hotel room door only closed if you lifted it up to close it. Just look at the conditions inside the elevators and you realize how run down and potentially dangerous this hotel is.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jdolan
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your last two stays. However, we never had a fire at our property but we did experience two power outages this year that affected this area of Ft. Lauderdale. Unfortunately, you stayed with us during both these times and I am so sorry for this inconvenience. All of our safety equipment worked perfectly and there was no alarm as there was no fire. Our emergency generator worked as it should have and there was no danger to any of our guests. Both these times were caused by a power outage in our area that affected other businesses as well and were uncontrolable.

Regarding the elevators, we are starting our complete cab renovation next week in which all the interior cabs will be brand new. This will be finished in December and we do hope you give us another try afterwards. Thanks again for your feedback!
Tallahassee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was rather pleased with my one night stay. I didn't experience any of the negatives mentioned in some of the reviews I've read. The nightly rate and location worked for me; it's about a 15 minute drive to Port Everglades. The hotel is in a quiet location with easy parking; it has a covered parking garage. I got the king sized room I requested and it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small, but no big deal since this was just for one night. Shopping and restaurants are within a short driving distance. The hotel restaurant is a bit pricey; we opted to eat out for dinner (The Fish Shack) & breakfast (Moonlite Diner). I was pleased with the property and the friendly professional staff. I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be "friendly and professional.". We do hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This Marriott makes a big point of the refurbished lobby, but that is all that is refurbished. The room furniture is dated, but serviceable. The bed was very firm (which I like) but as other have commented the pillows are awful. The electronics console under the TV is standard Marriott, but the electrical outlets on it don't work. I had a room with a balcony, but the door is very hard to open and mine is not the only one. I can hear my neighbors struggling to open their balcony doors. Make sure you pull your doors close as they do not on their own. While the hotel is generally clean, the garage elevator is filthy! When I arrived 1 of the 4 room elevators was not working and today 2 of the 4 are not working. Biggest complaint is the concierge lounge. The same breakfast food every day (very greasy bacon and sausage) and the evening snacks were pretty awful. I am used to the lounge being open during the day to get coffee, but this lounge does not provide coffee outside of breakfast/evening hours. The is the first Marriott where I have found this to be the case. The hotel is right off I95 which makes it convenient but it is far from downtown Fort Lauderdale which was not an issue for me but may be for people coming for vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north-west side of the hotel, you will get less freeway noise. However, you he...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jim E
Thank you so much for reviewing our property. I am happy to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable and our location to be convenient. However, I do apologize for 2 of the elevators being out of service. We are upgrading all of them and we did have to take 2 out of service during your stay. We are also starting a complete interior renovation on all of our elevators in the next 2 weeks which includes total new cabs.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy our concierge lounge food. This is the first complaint I have ever received as we go above and beyond most Marriott's offering eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit and more than the required appetizers during the evening. Maybe you caught us on a bad day and my apologies for that.

I will share your comments with my management team and I do appreciate the feedback and we do hope you give us another try.
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Northern location in Fort Lauderdale just off I-95 was very convenient for me. Friendly staff at check in and large well appointed room were everything I'd expected. While you may not get the king bed you want, the property itself won't disappoint you, free covered parking, large flat screen tv, free wifi, 2 computers with printer in the lobby, large bathroom, free newspaper. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be "friendly". I am also happy to hear that you found your room to be "large & well appointed". We hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We Were staying at this hotel for a day before going on a cruise. We arrived in the early evening and were looking forward to going out for a walk, having a meal somewhere nice and maybe doing some shopping. No such luck! The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, with no possibility of walking anywhere. Overall the hotel was ok for 1 night stopover and the service at reception and in the resturant was good with good food, which is just as well because there is nowhere else to go and eat if you don't have a car.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed the service at the front desk and in the restaurant.

I am so sorry that you did not notice all the restaurant options that are across the street from our hotel. There is a Longhorn Steakhouse, Champs Sports Bar, Hooters and Five Guys Burgers and even a movie theater. They are all within walking distance and we even offer complimentary shuttle service if you don't feel like crossing the street.

We also are situated on a beautiful nature preserve complete with a wooden boardwalk that you can enjoy a nice stroll. We do hope you stay with us again and enjoy these many options during your next stay!
Sebastian, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I selected this location to spend a couple of days in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. The hotel lobby was inviting so we thought we had made a wise choice. We made reservations through Marriott Reservations for a King bed for 2 nights. When we checked in, we were told there were no more king rooms available...the reason..they were sold out for the night. I asked if we came back later in the day would there be one available. The response was no. They had 2 doubles available and a handicap room. I asked were we offered the handicap room because we were getting the Senior Rate? Of course not, was the reply. All of a sudden, a miracle happened! They had a cancellation and were able to give us King bed. As they were checking us into this newly available King Bed, a single man was checking in right next to us and was immediately asked --did he want 2 doubles or a King. King? No problem. First problem we encountered. The staff were nice but....

We were then told that a Happy Hour was offered with wine and light snacks from 5:30-7PM. If was only about 3:30PM so we decided to get a bite at a nearby restaurant and come back in time for the happy hour. We returned to the hotel a couple of minutes before 6:30 and while they did pour us a glass of wine each, they were packing everything up. Wrong information.

The room was fine. Typical King room. But it just missed the mark of being a great room. Just not "sparkling" with the finer points, you know what I mean? Also, the rugs in the hallways and the elevator, the space in the elevator doors, very very dirty, like it hadn't been vacuumed in months! I don't understand.

The pool area was nice. While there was no one in attendance, there were plenty of towels and chairs available.

We tried to get lunch on the second day, but no one was in the restaurant to even ask if they were open or stopped serving at certain hours. It was empty so we decided that it must be closed. Why close the only restaurant in the hotel during the day?????

The free parking garage was great and of course convenient. Towels and water pressure in the bathroom was great.

I went to the restaurant to have dinner the second night. There was only 1 young person who introduced himself as "my host" for the evening. He seated me and came back fairly quickly with my water and I ordered my chicken wrap. It took a very long time to get the wrap and there were only 3 other tables in the restaurant and they had all been served already. He never came back to my table to ask if I needed anything else. I saw there was a larger party in another room and then finally another staff person came to help take orders of the 2 subsequent parties that came in after me. I had to go to the checkout desk to get my bill. Again, just missing the mark. No reason to be kept waiting so long...what's going on in the kitchen?

The hotel has the possibility of being a great hotel, but they just miss the mark on several accounts and I probably would not return to this Marriott.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoseDlovestotravel
Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it.

I am so sorry that it took a while to get your requested King room, but I am happy that we were able to accomodate you. Most of our Kings go rather quickly and we try to honor all guest requests. Regarding the wine and light snack, we do offer a complimentary welcom glass of wine and some snacks in the lobby on certain days. This is just our way of thanking our valuable guests. I am sorry that you did miss it but we do also offer a discounted Happy Hour in the lounge. I apologize that the front desk did not tell you this.

I am happy the you enjoyed our complimentary garage parking and that the water pressure in your room was up to your expectations. I will share your comments regarding the restaurant with our F&B Manager.

Thanks again and we do hope you give us another chance!