“Tropical Gem”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Ranked #24 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Ft. Lauderdale North the week of Dec. 22. We travel often and found this Marriott to be a hospitable heaven. There were 5 people working at the front desk when we arrived and they all scrambled to get us checked in smoothly. We were offered a choice of rooms and picked a king balcony on a high floor. The very gracious front desk staff had us checked in in less than 5 minutes. Our room was lovely. The furnishings were attractive and in good condition. Sliding doors open to the balcony and our view was the sky line of Ft. Lauderdale. The bathroom is enormous. This Marriott uses a top quality assortment of bath products - Thann. Housekeeping was generous with sharing a few extra. The bed is truly EXCEPTIONAL! Super comfortable. The heated pool and hot tub are located on a spacious roof deck. It is open until 11. Starting at 5 pm there are free hot appetizers and wine served in the lobby. The lobby is a beautiful place to sit and relax. The view of the tropical nature trail is spectacular. We enjoyed several room service meals which arrived remarkably fast. All of our choices were delicious. The late night turkey sandwich was a standout. This hotel is a real surprise tucked away in a busy commercial area. It is more like a resort than the "express" options that are spraining up everywhere along 95.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of downtown Ft. Lauderdale.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank nys
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how our staff took such care of you. I am also happy to hear that you were able to get a balcony room overlooking the beautiful nature preserve.

We do hope to see you again when you are in our area!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed from 24 to 27 Dec 2013 and my experience was as follows
Check in : arrived on Xmas eve had to wait for 5 minutes before being checked in as staff was on phone, appeared to be an internal conversation with another staff member and I eventually had to ask if someone else could check me in. Did not receive any greeting or welcome statement
2nd evening : arrived at the hotel at mid night to find out I can not get in the room. Reason was that they had checked me out even my stay was until 27th. Eventually they checked me again after a wait
3rd evening : arrive late to the room and find only one towel for 2 guests. Bath room not cleaned as another towel was still on the floor from previous day. Extra towel arrived on request after 19 minutes
That's my Marriott experience
Hotel was good but customer service is well below par

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashveen S

Good Afternoon..As you know, we did communicate via email regarding your stay. As you were staying with us under an employee friends and family rate, I am sure you understand that our regular guests receive priority check-in and service. I truly believe we have the best staff in south Florida and as you can see by the other reviews, almost all of our guests agree.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I just returned 2 separate stays at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott North which were sandwiched around a trip to Key West. As has already been stated, the staff at this hotel is the tops. They never seem to be without a smile. Every staff member from the front desk personnel to Paul at the Concierge Lounge to Mookie, who runs that weekend breakfast buffet with aplomb, seems to take a personal pride in their service. I visit this area often for both business and pleasure, and have stayed at many hotels. If you're looking for great value and service, this hotel cannot be beat. It's also in a perfect location, close to the beach, airport, shopping, and many local tourist attractions. Heck, it's even right down the block from the Tri-Rail station! Can't wait for my next visit :).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Benson50
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and kind words regarding Paul and Mookie. They are definately the "best of the best" and I am thrilled to hear how well they took care of you. I am also happy to hear that you found the entire team to be very friendly and always smiling. I honestly believe we have the best team in Ft. Lauderdale and I am so happy that you noticed.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my family at this hotel before a cruise. The hotel definitely needs to be updated. The rooms were too warm, no matter how much you lowered the thermostat. The restaurant was terrible- the manager of the restaurant was the only one who was remotely helpful. The food wasn't great but the service ruined the meal. The worst part was trying to get a car to the port. We reserved a car two hours prior, per the staff recommendations. As we were walking out, the supervisor gave our car to someone else. As we tried to locate another car, we had different stories from everyone assuring us they did not mess anything up and tried to blame the cabs. No one cared and assured us we wouldn't miss the ship, but the point was we wanted to be there early. Would not recommend this hotel for anyone who cares about hotel appearance, food, and service.

Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Ergoldbe

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay. I am so sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay with us. I reviewed the hotel logs for the entire month of December and have not seen any of these issues reported. However, I will get with my team and figure out how this happened as this is not how we normally operate.

Thank you once again and I do hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Late check-in with super service from the front desk
Good room and the comfy marriott bed - clean bathroom and good tv set.
Service overall very good with super nice lady at the concierge lounge. Nice breakfast with relaxed atmosphere.
But.. the building needs the up-grade. It is getting too old for the brand name while the service is high. Main concern is the noise result; The sliding doors/windows of the room are not easy to close properly. And if not closed well, the noise of the highway is loud.

Room Tip: Check the room for noise when getting in - and if the windows/doors close good. If not you will have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you were greeted with "super service" at the front desk and you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We are in the process of upgrading some areas of the hotel such as our elevators. They should be finished right after the new year.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We just spent 8 delightful days and nights at this magnificent property. I would first like to
comment on the Staff - as they are the "BEST!" The gals and guys at the Front Desk, Mr. Levy,
the Manager, and particularly the lady Celeste that we had the pleasure of dining with each
and every morning in the Concierge Restaurant. All kinds of fresh fruits, yogurts, scrambled
eggs, bacon or sausage and every kind of muffin, bagel, breads etc. that you could ask for.
Then Paul, the evening host at hors d'ourves time is another delightful individual who just cannot
do enough to please. But this is far more than "snack time" where you will find again, all kinds
of fresh fruits, a variety of meatballs with different dressings, a choice of sandwiches to please
any palate, and a wonderful selection of wines and beers for those looking to purchase a
drink with their meal.

If there is anything to complain about I would say, while the rooms are well equipped and
beautifully decorated and the bed "oh, so comfy" they might want to improve the quality of
the Kleenex tissues which must have been purchased at a bargain price because when you
try to pull one from the dispenser they come our in about twenty little bits and pieces. Other
than that, our room at the Concierge level had a huge tall safe in the space that normally
would house a refrigerator. I question just how many valuables one needs to secure for a
safe this size, when just a small one, in the closet would be sufficient because guests
staying as long as we did, really needed a refrigerator to keep snack items that we purchased
cold. Again, this property is just magnificent. True it is not brand new and while I read some
other reviews complaining about the condition of the elevators, they are right now, in the
process of re-doing all of them, so indeed Management is fully aware that it is time to re-do
this area.

Room Tip: Well of course the Concierge level would be our suggestion because not only are the rooms large and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jinglegirl

Wow, thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed every part of your stay. I will make sure I share your kind words with my entire team and we hope to see you again when you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Hello,
I am a Marriott fan and have stayed with Marriott many times nationally and internationally so I know the product really well.
The Lobby: Beautiful refurbished lobby and friendly front desk staff (kudos)
The Elevators: Sorry to say this but the elevators are extremely run down with patched ceiling and stainless steel pannel broken (Not Marriott Standard at all).
The Hallways: A bit to the dark side but very clean.
The room: As soon as we stepped into the room it smelled AWESOME! Great choice of scent. It was very clean, vey well housekeeping job! The bed was very comfortable and super clean (as I expected from a Marriott) but the furniture needs updating because it is dated. All works fine no broken furniture but I expect better from a Marriott.The crisp clean smell is what made me give tge room a 4 not a 3.
The pool: Good heated pool and pool deck.
I hope everyone finds this helpful and hope the hotel takes care of the couple of things that seriously need attention like the elevators.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank PeterTravelAdvisor
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words regarding our property. I am thrilled to hear that you found our property to be "very clean" and that you enjoyed our amenities such as our rooftop heated pool. I do apologize for the condition of the elevators but I am happy to announce that we just started renovating all of our elevators this weekend. One is completely done and we are in the process of completing the others. This scope of work includes all brand new cabs. We are very excited about this and we hope you come back to see us again soon!