“Excellent”

Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I Learn to don't believe every review in till I stay in the hotel , what a wonderful lobby area , free parking and wi-Fi a plus. Rooms are very clean very nice size and nice view. The staff have an outstanding professional service , specially Debbie every time I call to ask for a question or request she was so helpful , professional and wonderful personality. The date of arrival Debbie found out that, I was celebrating my wedding anniversary she was very nice to send us a bottle of Pinot Grigio a fruit plate with cheese and crackers to are room complements of the hotel. Is so close conveniens to I-95 and many of restaurants in the area ,if I had to stay here again I will. It is not a five-star hotel but it is a wonderful place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pricanpapi7676
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our rooms to be large and clean. I am also happy top hear how Debbie took such good care of you. We are very lucky to have her on our team and I will share your sentiment. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We elected to stay here after a great experience last time. Much different this time, our room, 903, was just okay as my wife found dirt on the bed ruffle and the bed was not comfortable. Flavored coffee mate was our only choice in the room and unlike our last stay, there was no free coffee in the lobby. Starbucks had moved in and coffee was now $4.50 a cup, at least in the restaurant.

Our dinner was fine, and we enjoyed drinks in the lounge after dinner with friends we hadn't seen in years. Breakfast the next morning was a disaster. Although it tasted fine, due to a language barrier with the Haitian waiter we were charged more than we should have been. He thought we ordered ala carte and we thought we ordered a listed breakfast special. After some discussion he had the manager come over and she said she would correct the bill. While she was gone correcting the bill the waiter came over and argued with my wife about our interpretation of what he thought he said. The lady manager then came back with the corrected bill and I told her thank you but didn't appreciate the waiter coming over to rehash and argue the issue. She then told us breakfast was on her. This was an exceptional gesture on her part and greatly appreciated and was not our intention in complaining. She is to be complimented on how she handled the situation.

The difference between this visit and our last was clear and we certainly will look elsewhere next time. Princess needs to evaluate this hotel as they recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrampaRick
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you found our in-house Starbucks to be expensive. We do keep our prices in-line with other stores in our area and a regular cup of Starbucks at our hotel is only $2.00. We also offer complimentary coffee in all guest rooms.

I would like to apologize for the mix-up with your bill in our restaurant. I can assure you that I will address with my team so this does not occur again. I am pleased to hear however that the supervisor made it right and comped your breakfast.

Thanks again for your review and we do hope you continue to stay with us!
Nice, France
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

ended up here because Sheraton suites Cypress creek didn't find our prepaid reservation through Priceline
we where very pleased with this hotel , much better than the sheraton , nothing negative to say about this hotel
reception was very friendly , rooms spotless , gym ok .
will defintively stay here again

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gemo5566
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be "spotless" and our staff to be "friendly". We hope to see you again soon!
belfast
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here for one night pre-cruise and found it to be a pleasant experience.
Our room was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was great.
I had read previous reviews and was expecting dirty corridors and trays of leftover food outside room doors, I didn't see any of this, everywhere was clean and tidy.
The pool area was quite nice also.
The staff were all very nice but one stood out in particular, Whatever they are paying Mike, the guy who helps with bags and other stuff, it is not enough. Mike went out of his way to accommodate us and is such a nice man, he really is a credit to the hotel.
There is a hooters close to the hotel which we would have liked to try but hadn't enough time, maybe next time :)
Ignore the bad reviews, take this hotel as you find it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JonjoBelfast
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be "clean and comfortable ". I am also happy to hear that the staff treated you well and that you enjoyed our rooftop pool.

We do hope to see you again the next time you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area!
northumberland
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We were a party of four on an overnight pre-booked pre-cruise holiday over the New Year.

Even though we saw one dismal Christmas tree, my first impression of this hotel was "what a dump!"

Check in was a pleasant experience - nice girl. We then went up to our rooms.

My husband and I were in room 1011 and my son in room 1025.

If you tend to suffer from migraine, avoid this hotel at all costs. This hotel is used as a transit hotel as well as other reasons, so one should expect some wear and tear.

The walls in both rooms were painted an awful stippled yellow - both dirty and marked and the ceilings were very dirty white - also stippled. The carpets were outdated with a brown leaf designed carpet which clashed with the red checked armchair, the ruby coloured light and the black and brown desk chair!

The rooms smelt musty.

We had a large writing desk but no stationery.

What little literature regarding the Hotel was filthy.

The pillows were stinking. I could not find any housekeeping or reception number on my 'phone so we just decided to dump the pillows on the floor as we had been travelling for 18 hours.

We did have a coffee maker with paper cups!

We were next to the ice maker and found this annoying as we were tired and other guests obviosly needed ice - but they were not the quiet, considerate guests we would have liked.

We could also hear the guest above us - even though the rooms were carpetted.

That night we popped down to the reception area and were amazed that adults were exiting the lift dripping wet in swimsuits and without towels - how stupid were they?

The corridors were full of dirty crockery and remains of room service and they were still there in the morning. There were even dirty plates by the ice station.

My son's room - 1025 was next to a cupboard full of broken furniture, discarded food and rubbish - a perfect breeding ground for rats and cockroaches you must agree? His room smelt of moth balls. He moved one of the single beds for safety reasons for his 9 year old daughter and underneath the bed was filthy!

In the morning, we dared venture down to breakfast and was pleasantly surprised. The dining room was calm and quiet and a good buffet breakfast was served. The guy, Sebastian, who looked after us was extremely pleasant and friendly and very good at his duties.

The General Manager, Mr Stuart Levy, is very proud of his hotel and had left a letter welcoming guests to this hotel and according to his letter "I am committed to making sure you have all the fundamentals you paid for ...Clean Room, Great Food and First Class Service". "If you have any issues during your stay, please let us know BEFORE you leave so we can make it right".

I asked reception if I could meet with Mr Levy at 10 am on the morning we were leaving. This was arranged.

After breakfast and to while away the time before my meeting with Mr Levy, we paid a visit to the pool area. This was around 9.30 am. We found the pool "slimey" and if we were staying at this hotel, we not have used this pool.

It was obvious that by the covered seating area that a BBQ must have happened as there was food scattered around this area also.

At 10 am, I met with Mr Levy at a quiet seating area in the lobby. I noticed that the tables in this area were also filthy and there was no sign of any cleaning staff.

Mr Levy was genuinely shocked at my comments and told me that he had worked there for 7 years and had never had a complaint and that he was very proud of his hotel. He said that there was nothing he could do for me as the hotel had been pre-paid. To this, I told him that he could refund our breakfast costs. He duly complied and came back to me and told me that he had sorted this matter out. I felt somewhat compensated. He gave me his card in case we came back and I told him quite firmly that I would NOT be returning to this hotel again.

We were being transferred from the Hotel to the ship at 12.30.

As we departed our rooms, we noted that the corridors were still littered with dirty crockery from the night before and even more with guests ordering breakfast room service at 12 noon and that the tables in the lobby were also still uncleaned.

I need to visit the lavatory in the lobby area before we left and found them in a dirty condition and very smelly.

You can draw your own conclusions from my experience but I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank diarykeeper
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. However, I am a bit confused as most of the issues you discussed with me were concerning the overall design of the hotel. You expressed your distaste of the colors that were picked out. You did state that your room was clean and you did enjoy breakfast.

Nevertheless, we do try to satisfy each and very guest and I am sorry that you did not like our décor. I will discuss the issues that you experienced with my entire team so we can make it better.

Thanks again and I do hope you give us a second chance!
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Arrived at the hotel early evening, room was ready. Pleasant enough room, although I hate having to drink my tea and coffee out of cardboard cups and not enough of them. Beds were comfortable, and shower really good. The weather was bad so we decided to eat in the hotel, very dismal atmosphere, but food OK.

The next morning we wanted to go to a local shopping centre and was told we had to get a taxi. On our return and some of the guests had gone on their coaches to the port, the concierge met us and said "if you had waited you could have had a lift". Didn't tell us that when we asked about going.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doreen8
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy that you found our beds to be "comfortable" and you enjoyed your shower. I am sorry that the communication with your cruise line regarding transportation was not what it should have been. I would contact them regarding this.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My arrival at the hotel was late in the evening therefore the check in was quick. Once settled in the room I took some photos of the room and the hotel. It was decorated nice for the holidays. Everything seemed to be closed at the hotel except for the boutique. I guess due to my late arrival. I went to see the gym and found some fruit so that was my bedtime snack. The bed was comfortable and clean. Coffee/tea was available in the room. In the morning I took a stroll around the grounds of the hotel, walking on a boardwalk in lots of green vegetation and trees. Check out was a breeze. There is quite a distance from the hotel to Port Everglades. Would I stay there again? No because of the distance to the port.

Room Tip: for a nice view, face the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our beds to be "clean and comfortable". I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed a stroll on the boardwalk of the nature preserve. It really is beautiful.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!