“Perfect location, friendly staff, beautiful beach!”

Marriott's BeachPlace Towers
Ranked #33 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Memphis, Tennessee
“Perfect location, friendly staff, beautiful beach!”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Our Villa...
My husband and I had a fantastic experience here. We stayed in a King Villa with a jacuzzi in our room. Our view was of the Intracoastal Waterway and was absolutely beautiful. Our room had a full kitchen (including a washer and dryer) and a full living room with a separate bedroom and huge bathroom. I have been to several full service Marriotts and Courtyards. This was truly one of the best experiences I have had. I can't think of one time that I passed the front desk that I didn't get a cheerful hello from the guest services staff as well as a friendly greeting any time I passed any other employee in the hallway. Any time I had questions, they were answered accurately and graciously.
Convenience...
Having the CVS downstairs really came in handy since the Market was closed due to renovations. It wasn't overpriced either like many beach drug stores can be. Beer and wine is also available there if you want to have a few drinks in your room. Beachplace Mall also has a variety of fun, casual dining such as Lulu's, Hooters and da Big Kahuna. Our experience at Lulu's was great and I highly recommend it. Fat Tuesdays has a huge variety of frozen drinks that you can get in a plastic water bottle so you can take it to the pool or carry around wherever you are going. The price was pretty reasonable considering the size of the drinks and you get discounted refills. Within walking distance is also Bubba Gump's and we found this to be a fantastic experience as well. We went there twice while we were there it was so good.
The Beach...
Ft Lauderdale definitely has the best beach I have ever been to! The water is actually a bright blue/turquoise and the sand is white and easy to walk in. The walk from the street to the water's edge is only about 20-30 yards. The breeze off the water keeps it from feeling so hot. I could have stayed out there all day if the sun wouldn't have burned my fair skin. There are chairs and umbrellas in the hotel for rent for only $3 for each chair and $2 for each umbrella. The ones out on the beach are $10 for each chair and $15 for the umbrella, so take advantage of the ones that the hotel offers.
The Pool/Hot Tubs...
The pool was lit up a beautiful violet color at night and there are 2 hot tubs. The entire pool deck overlooks the beach and is quite spacious. The only thing that I wished was that the pool bar was open past 5. I thought that it was odd to only have it open during the day. I know we would have stayed there for a light dinner and drinks at least one night while we were there had it been available. There is a BBQ every day around lunchtime, but it was $11 for a cheeseburger and chips so we opted to go to Lulu's and actually spent less.
Water Taxi...
The water taxi has a stop right behind the hotel on the Intracoastal Waterway. It is absolutely worth the price. They tell you about all of the beautiful mansions as you pass them such as who owns them, how much they cost and some of their features which were quite impressive. It also takes you downtown to Las Olas Blvd. It was like a small Rodeo Drive. The boutiques, galleries and cafes were beautiful and impressive. We enjoyed this very much an plan to take more advantage of it next time we are there. That's right, NEXT TIME.
Returning...
We have decided that we will be returning the the BeachPlace Towers again next year in June for our yearly summer vacation. There is still so much to do and see that we did not experience. We can't wait until next year!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We just got back today from an incredible vacation in Ft. Lauderdale!! The Marriott Beach Place Towers Hotel was the absolute perfect place to stay when you don't want to spend an arm and a leg!!

Booking: Due to a discount I get with my job I was able to get a guest room at this hotel for an **incredible** rate. After booking, I called the hotel directly and requested an ocean view room, if available at check in.

Parking: As described in previous reviews, the parking garage is a little bit interesting. Once you get a ticket at the parking garage entrance make sure you go ALL the way up to the P4 level of the parking garage. You MUST insert your parking ticket into the next security arm to get in to the hotel parking. When we parked to check in we accidentally parked on P3 where it said "Taxi and Limo Unloading". Don't park there!! Go up one more level!! After we figured out the parking garage situation the only annoyance we had were people who had not one clue what was going on. It's not a difficult system. Also, we never had a problem not finding parking. There was always plenty available! Yes, $14 a night for parking is not a pleasurable experience, but it is absolutely the cheapest hotel parking in the area for this quality of a property...trust me, I did a ton of research on all hotels in the area.

Checking In: We checked in around 5pm on a Friday evening. Upon arrival the gentleman behind the counter said he noticed I requested an ocean view room. Honestly, with my discount rate I figured they'd be sticking me in the back of the hotel, but that was not the case. We got a room on the 15th floor with a full panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean. It. Was. Amazing. I cannot believe we had such an unbelievable view for that price. Because this hotel is also a timeshare property, be wary of the girl in the lobby offering you your "free welcome gift". They're inviting you to a free meeting to come learn about (I assume) their timeshare program. So if you're not interested in that, just decline this offer. Also, they left us not 1, not 2, not 3, but FOUR voicemails reminding us of this meeting during our stay. Slightly annoying, but I won't complain too much as they simply went to voicemail and our phone never actually rang.

Our room: The guest rooms at this hotel are amazing. We stayed in a simple guest room (not a suite) and it was huge!! You walk in and immediately to one side is your bathroom (with a huge mirror and an exhaust fan!), to the other side is a bar type area with a microwave, sink, toaster, coffee maker, mini fridge, plates, silverware, and paper towels. It was very convenient during our stay!! Further in the room was our king size bed and past that was a pull out couch, coffee table, and a table with two chairs. Across from the bed was the TV with all HD channels! Very nice touch. Then past the couch was my favorite part of the room, our amazing balcony (with another table and two chairs!!) and a gorgeous view of the Beach Place, the hotel pool, the street and sidewalks, the beach, and the amazing Atlantic Ocean! You absolutely get your money's worth at this hotel. Also a very appealing item of this hotel was the free in-room wireless internet. We had two laptops and every once in a while we couldn't get the internet to work, but I'd say it was not a problem and it worked 95% of the time. Also, there was a ceiling fan and a completely controllable thermostat. This made our room very comfortable in the warm climate!!

Location: This is absolutely the BEST location on the beach. You're right in the middle of all the bars and restaurants and you don't have to walk far to get anywhere!! It's definitely not a quiet area so if you're looking for peace and quiet relaxation, I would suggest looking elsewhere. There have been negative reviews regarding having to walk through the Beach Place to get to the beach, but it is seriously not a big deal. It's fun walking through, seeing the restaurants and the bars (stop at Fat Tuesdays and get a slushy drink to take to the beach), and you're only walking through it for about 15 seconds. Yes, there is a huge CVS in the Beach Place, but everything is probably marked way up. If you need cash though and don't want to pay an ATM service fee, go grab a pack of gum and get $20 back. It's wonderful!

Here are some things we had issues with during our stay:

Elevators: Our room was right off the elevators and the walls were VERY thin. I woke up every night at 2am or 3am to a group of drunk people being noisy while waiting for their elevator to arrive. This was really quite annoying, but never lasted long so I felt no need to complain. If I were to book a room at this hotel again, I would DEFINITELY request to be put in a guest room AWAY from the elevators. I would HIGHLY suggest you request this as well when you book your room.

Bathroom: Just before 11:00pm on our last night of our stay, the toilet randomly overflowed upon being flushed. We had to turn the water off at the toilet and sop up the water on the floor with towels so it didn't creep out of the bathroom. I proceeded to call down to the front desk and they said they'd have someone up to the room immediately and we would possibly have to switch rooms (not exactly what we wanted to hear less than 12 hours before we have to check out). We waited 30 minutes, no one shows up. We go down to the front desk to ask if they were sending someone up and the lady at the front desk said she had no idea we were having a problem. Apparently there was a shift change at 11:00pm and the girl that answered our call just before 11pm didn't tell anyone coming in to work about our problem and it got lost in the dust. This was really VERY annoying because when you have only one toilet in a room this is an emergency and needs to be fixed ASAP. It was unacceptable. They then say they'll send someone up. A whole 20 minutes later the gentleman shows up, fixes the toilet, and then proceeds to just lay tons of towels down on the bathroom floor. Doesn't clean it or anything and prevents us from being able to close the bathroom door! This was definitely not sanitary as the toilet was being flushed for a reason. So after an hour of trying to get this fixed it's midnight, we're tired, we've lost sleep, and we have to check out at 10:00am (abnormally early for a check out time). We go down to the front desk to see if they can do anything for us (I'm thinking maybe something comped, parking, partial fee, something) and they offer us the ability to check out at 11am. Gee thanks, that really helps.

Our trip was amazing and our stay at this hotel was FABULOUS up until the last evening.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone as it is by far the best deal on the beach. It's right in the very middle of all the restaurants and bars. It gets a little noisy from the street on the weekend nights, but hey you're on vacation at a beach with a great nightlife!! Enjoy it!!!!

Recommendations:
- Get a bloody mary (and if you want, you can ask for a cup of Goldfish, it's free with a drink!) from Blondies (technically called Dirty Blondes, but the locals call it Blondies; $4 as of 6/6/2011; Go out of the hotel to the street, turn right, Blondies is a block or so down)
- Get a slushy drink from Fat Tuesdays (in the Beach Place on the second level; $20 minimum on credit cards so bring cash; Each slushy drink is $7 as of 6/6/2011)

Room Tip: Request ocean view and away from elevators
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Longhrngrl13
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Beautiful location, nice amenities for the most part. Parking is a little screwy, it was cheaper to rent our car than it was to park it. We traded our timeshare and our room was a regular hotel room with no maid service. We expected a one bedroom suite at least. When we asked for fresh towels they wanted to charge us $6 or have us wash our own towels....cheap move for such a classy place. Wash your own towels while on vacation?? Disappointing. Beach stuff was rentalble if it wasn't broken. What you get is location, location, location. Marriott is moving towards not affiliating with timeshare trading companies....probably a good move for those of us expecting a timeshare trade with separate bedrooms. My sister wanted to visit from Orlando but we had to turn her away when we saw the room......or lack thereof. Sad!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BLHerman
PHOENIX
Reviewed 19 May 2011

hotel was nice - very roomy. liked the decor all clean. the hotel is showing age, but they are renovating -- nothing happened nearly like what i read from other reviews. i can see how if you are here with a family during spring break that you'd be irritated. one elevator wasn't working so that can be kind of a wait but not bad. nice mix of ages of guests, great view of the waterway, the lounge on the 19th floor is cool. we were on 11th floor two bed lockoff, easily could have had 8 adults in this place and had room to spare. i think it's bigger than our first apartment was. nice amenities in the kitchen and laundry area. appreciated the water filter on the fridge door. not the most luxurious place, but very nice, clean and definitely more than what we expected.

check the hotel for the daily freebies. wine and cheese, homemade cookies, etc.

beach isn't too far away. pool is best in the morning, afternoon the sun goes behind the building and the wind picks up.

defnitely do the water taxi. find a coupon online for buy one get one free. we spent a whole day just doing that for $20. rickshaws wait outside for you every day.

nearby: hooters - we ate there alot. $9 pitchers. lulus - also were there daily. their happy hour is good just check the sign - get a fishbowl at least once. da big kahuna - bad service but seemed okay. they give out alot of coupons. sonic wasn't open yet. fat tuesdays - got the drink cooler cups thing and used them for our own rum/hawaiian punch mixture at the pool/beach etc. we could have saved some money and just bought some from home. the CVS had everything we needed except liquor. got eggs, sandwiches, icecream, frozen pizzas. we thought we'd end up going to the grocery when we got here but never needed to. there is a liquor store around the corner past the Elbo room. very very good location. sopranos - $7 cover, but included a free shot. nice time making friends with people we have never met. rock bar - only good for breakfast, otherwise too spendy. didn't try spazio or cafe del mar due to prices. the other places were just cheaper for the same stuff. worth a walk is the quarterdeck (follow them on twitter for deals). the bbq ribs were insanely large, so are their burgers. we'd definitely go back.

farther out: downtown - kind of run down. i'd say 70% of the spaces were closed. this is the closest movie theatre. most of the stores don't open until after 11:30. we also walked to the galleria mall - this is about 2 miles each way. take the taxi for $8. their food court is seriously good - one of a kind... not what you expect for mall food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank funsunaz8
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2011

If you are looking for a hotel with a great location, than this is it!

It's right across the beach. Under the hotel there is a huge CVS and lots of stores and restaurants. If I ever go to Ft Lauderdale again, this is the only place I'll stay.

I booked the room through Marriott's website but the majority of the guests are time share. The service provided to timeshare is different than the service they provide to paying guests. For example, they dont change the linen for time share guests everyday but they do for paying hotel guests, but I had to call housekeeping every day and tell them to tell the maid who was cleaning our room to change the linen or bring more coffee.

As for things being overpriced at the hotel, there is a CVS (which has everything) right under the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Noush01
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Let me start off by saying, I am a travel agent. I stayed at the Marriott BeachPlace Towers for one night on May 3, 2011. I have to admit, the entrance to this hotel is a little strange - to get to the check-in desk you have to drive up four floors in the parking garage and take an elevator up. While this may put some people off, the friendliness of the hotel staff at the front desk made up for it. My cousin and I had arrived on a cruiseship around 8:30am that morning and we decided to see if the hotel would let us leave our luggage there until our room was ready. As it happens, the man at the front desk found us a room on the fourth floor that was ready and allowed us to check in a few hours early. This was fantastic!

Once we got to the room, we were stunned at how large and clean it was. We were in a regular one-bedroom room that had a private balcony and a beautiful view of the marina. The bed was incredibly comfortable, as was the couch. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc, in the kitchen area - quite handy if you're staying a few days or more. At night, the hotel was very quiet and seemed to block all noise from the street/beach outside. The hotel offers activities for kids/families, but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to experience them for ourselves. They sounded like quite a lot of fun though.

The location of the hotel could not have been better. The main part of the beach is right across the street, and there is lots of shopping and great restaurants/bars in the immediate area. The cost of the cab ride from the port to the hotel was approximately $10-15 (I can't remember exactly), and the cab ride from the hotel to the airport was about $20. Split between two or more travellers, this is very inexpensive.

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel, and I will definitely be recommending it to my clients.

• Stayed May 2011
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I am a Marriott Vacation Club owner and have stayed at other Marriott resorts and was initially a little disappointed when I first arrived. The hotel facility is located behind an open air mall of shops and I couldn't find it right away after the cab left us off at the corner! I had requested an ocean front unit but none were ready upon my arrival so the front desk lady suggested a unit overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway. The view from the 10th floor was incredible! The view of the boats cruising the Intercoastal, the waterfront mansions and the absolutely lovely Fort Lauderdale skyline would be hard to beat. The condo unit was perfect and very comfortable and well equipped as I have come to expect from a Marriott property. The main attraction for this resort is the absolutely gorgeous Fort Lauderdale Beach maintained beautifully by the City. Big wide beach cleaned and raked every night. There are many restaurants within walking distance but I hightly recommend taking the bus ($2 per person) or cab and head down to restaurant row on Las Olas Blvd. The restaurants in this area are awesome and you can stroll up/down the street and enjoy the many upscale stores. This little area is high end and very nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple