“Cozy Hotel Right at the Beach!”

Marriott's BeachPlace Towers
Ranked #34 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Cozy Hotel Right at the Beach!”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

My friends and I came for a two day getaway. I had read parking would be an issue but it wasn't. You just drive up to the upper levels of the parking garage where the hotel has their own private parking as opposed to public parking. An elevator in the parking garage takes you directly to the lobby where the front desk is. Also, people have commented on how horrible the elevators are but they were quick and got us where we needed to go everytime we used them. The Front Desk Manager was extremely nice and got us checked-in and was even able to get us on the same floor for our two rooms.

My friends room had a beautiful view of the Intracoastal and the city skyline at night. Our view was ocean front. Both were fantastic so you can't lose view wise at this place! The rooms were huge! We both had a one bedroom villa. There was a full kitchen with new stainless steel appliances, dining area, and living area. The bedroom had a massive jacuzzi tub in it with a vanity, and then the bathroom had a nice sized walk-in shower. The balcony had chairs and a table as well and we could look down on the pool area.

While we were there they pressure washed the pool grounds and it was neat to watch from the balcony. It was nice to see that they keep their facilities clean. To get to the beach you go down the elevator, walk through a little shopping mall, and then you are directly on the beach. The water was surprisingly a gorgeous color. I'm used to the Caribbean but this was still a lot prettier than what I expected! We went swimming for awhile and then walked up and down the beach.

We had breakfast in the little Market in the lobby in the morning. The concierge helped us decide what we wanted to do for our last day. He was extremely helpful. We ended up going on a cruise of the Intracoastal looking at huge houses and yachts. It was relaxing and there were some pretty cool places to look at.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank TravelingChristy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We thought people were being too picky in reviews when commenting about bad parking and slow elevators. But it's no joke. Parking is horrid. Takes literally 10 minutes to get out of this awful parking lot. Hard to find spots. Spots are small. Parking is free for owner only. Family and Guests pay $14 per day. The whole parking thing is ridiculous. And then you must take an elevator. We waited 20 minutes one time. They tell us this is scheduled to improve but who knows when. Actual rooms are lovely and staff couldn't be nicer. But we would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank poconomountaingal
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2011

It's been a few years since I was in Fort.L. The beach and area seems to be more upscale since kicking out the college kids. The timeshare is in a very convenient area with stores, bars and restaurants at doorstep. The parking is $14/day but so what. You really don't need a car with the water taxi and bus stop. I rented a car for the week on priceline. With the parking, the total cost was under $250. The garage is really no big deal. I traded my Grand Vista lockout and got a two bedroom here. For those renting, remember that this is a timeshare and not a hotel. All the supplies you need for the week are steps away in the mall. If you want room service, go stay at the Ritz next door. The pool is OK not great. But, it is across from the beach. The elevators got us in and out quickly with very little wait time.
And yes, the views and the beach are spectacular! The Marriott Vacation Club is awesome. Definately coming back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jhaepers
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 20 January 2011

we would not return or refer friends to this hotel. we were there three days and spent most of it trying to get an elevator, waited up to 20 min. at one time, the wait for an elevator is absolutely ridiculous, check in is 4pm our room was not ready till 6:30 pm, but they are real quick to kick you out at 10am no exceptions, front desk personnel are very air headed didnot know the answers to anything, the conciere was never available. lots of other hotels on the same street alot nicer and less expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Montreal Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I love Marriott and have stayed in their properties all over the world. I checked in for 3 weeks and here we after one week dissing the place. it should be noted we have stayed at this property 5 times previously and loved every minute.

We checked in for 3 weeks of time sharing and after one week complaining

Have no idea what has transpired in the day to day administration and operation but it has dropped drastically from the cleanliness to the service and the attitude of the personnel.
Use to be a time when the only faux pas was the elevators and the horrendous parking facility...a real rip off as you pay dearly for parking.

House keeping is the problem at this property..it just stinks with attitude to boot....They forgot to clean our room ,,,,how many of you have ever had this happen to you>

even the front desk has attitude, When the phone in our room was not working properly and . I complained I was told the phone works fine, When my business associates called me on my mobile phone to let me know the phones to my room were still not working I called the front desk and again they told me there was nothing wrong. Finally they sent an engineer up and he said most definitely the phones are not working.-he found the problem...then informed the front desk who informed us we will have to check out of the hotel and then check back in for the phones to work...yes we didn`t get it either Then because this happened on a Wednesday after we checked on the the Saturday they had it as we checked in late and then notified us that if we want our room cleaned at the beginning of our 2nd week we would have to pay $70.00

I could go on and on but why waste your time. Yes we could have a sour taste in oru mouth from the first week experience but we shouldn't as a vacation is suppose to be free of stress. We are world travelers and use to screw ups but the staff at this property are more concerned with covering their butt than serving the guests well

I want to relate we love Marriott so please do think this is a reflection of the organization but the company seriously has to look at the attitude of the in House Keeping and the very unprofessional front desk. I want to mention both managers are indeed very nice people..is this not a paradox

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This is the perfect place for families in the miami/metro area and it is extremly affordable. We love the ocean and wanted to go away in the winter to the miami/ fort lauderdale area with our 1 year old son. We wanted a larger place with a washer/dryer, dishwasher, and his own room so he could nap and sleep without interruptions. I wanted a large area to play since we planned on having sitters 6-10 hours per day. My brother found us the marriot beachplace towers. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2bathroom villa which has approx 1500 sq feet of living space with 2 ocean front balconies and full ocean view access. There was an extremely comfortable king sized bed that fellow similar to our pillow top mattress at home and a jacuzzi in our room. There was a lock out unit for the second bedroom where my son could sleep with a fridge for his own food and a great bathroom for him. I was able to run the dishwasher every night as I'm still pumping/breastfeeding and run the washer/dryer and dishwasher at home. They also supplied us with a pack n play which my son slept in for 12 hours at night and a high chair he ate in on a daily basis. The amenities to the place are wonderful- there are 2 open jacuzzis in the sun (some times shares have them in the shade) and a pool that was as warm as our indoor JCC pool in cherry hill. Although they do not have a kiddo pool, they have a more shallow ledge by the side of the pool that my son and all the other toddlers stood and walked on. My 1 year old was able to swim in the pool almost daily during January in Florida- I've never been to a resort with such a warm pool. We loved the location- you were right across the street. We took a walk by the ocean a few times per week, went on the beach, laid out by the pool, had drinks at the W, went to miami south beach one day/evening, took a boat out on the intercostal/bay area in miami, went to coral gables for dinner, went to the wild animal safari in west palm, the gardens in boca, and shopping in palm beach. You are central to so many activities. We had 2 sitters from care.com attending florida atlantic university and were able to have 6-9 hours of "date couple time" on a daily basis. This vacation truly felt like a vacation and not just a change of scenery.
So to comment on some of the reviews below-
1) PRICE- We exchanged a time share 2 bedroom/2bath from sheraton vistana in orlando for an ocean front property from a banked week with interval and paid the fees to change ownership names- after all of those fees, we were able to stay in a 2 bed/2 bath place as described above for under $1050. If you don't own a time share, you can go on redweek.com to look for affordable time share exchanges. I did my research regarding parking etc prior to arriving. You do have to pay for parking and it is easier to park on the lower levels. You can either pay $98 + tax for the week with the hotel or $60 with taxes included through the garage and we chose the latter. We got an access card for both us and our sitter and you can use the access card to go in and out in that order with any car. We used the second access card to allow access for the 2 different sitters we had and family/friends who visited at different times. The only other amenity we paid for was a $3 beach chair rental per day the day we went on the beach (the chair was perfect for me but my husband got a nicer one- you may just want to buy a chair from the CVS). There were 6 beach towels in our master bedroom and another 3 in the lock out unit so they were plentiful in supply. I washed them once and dried them on a daily basis- it was easy. But again, I splurge on sitters and had help. In terms of the comments on cleaning, you do not get a daily maid service but you can pay for one - approx $47/day they come. It is your choice- the hotel tacks on these charges to keep the costs down for the rental owners. Given the space is so large and you can do laundry on a daily basis, it is not hard to keep clean- you are not cramming your stuff into a small hotel room. You have 2 closets and plenty of drawers. For comparison, I ran into 2 families on the beach- one was staying at the W with family for 2 nights and then into their parent's monthly condo rental- the W was $1000/night for a suite and the pool was too cold for the children to play in (W pool unheated). The hilton charged an extra $200/night for a second bedroom so that family was in a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath suite with 2 children under the age of 3. You have to compare and look at all your options- location significantly impacts everything.
CONVENIENCE- Again, when you have children, convenience is everything. We went to the publix once and got life cereal (yes, 2 boxes for my husband), and oatmeal, frest fruit, and eggs and had breakfast on our balcony daily overlooking the ocean. Our son woke up around 8am and would have his milk and cereal and then want to crawl around and play so we liked taking it easy. There is a 24 hour CVS right below us so when we ran out of soda, cereal, cheese, and crackers we could easily replenish the supply and the prices were decent. You can also get $35 cash out at the CVS with each purchase without a charge which is good to know as the ATMs charge around there. Again, having the beach right there was great because our son could experience it and then have a sitter com so we could relax longer.
Some other things to know-
1) The sun usually is present in the pool area until 230 pm and the beach until approx 4pm. We usually lie out from 10-2 OR 3 so that was perfect for us.
2) Although this hotel is right next to the ritz and the W is down the street, the beach front restaurants are not like south beach so be prepared to drive for a high class date night. I think a rental car is a must and priceline.com has never steered us wrong.
3) elevators can take some time when you have a lot of stuff when first checking in. however, they run more smoothly on the weekdays and you can squeeze in more easily when you don't have the luggage!
4) prices at the market place are expensive- lulus is a better place for take out (fresh grilled chicken sandwiches and nice salads with grilled shrimp. The CVS downstairs is also the perfect place for getting all the "extras" and added food as mentioned above.
5) we brought 2 Thomas CDs- Disney channel is here but could not find a channel comparable to sprout or nick junior
6) www.care.com is great for finding sitters- we used 1 college student and 1 graduate student from florida atlantic university- this was our biggest reason for not traveling to the caribbean or to mexico- you can't have a vacation without help and we did not want our nanny living with us for the week on vacation
7) ambience and romantic date- anacapri in coral gables, the shore club in south beach, spiga restaurant in south beach
8) amazing sushi, 26 in zagat, amazing prices, kid friendly- tokyo sushi in ft lauderdale
9) romantic beachfront italian in fort lauderdale- casablanca cafe- good italian and fish
9) activities with children- we loved the wild animal safari and gumbo limbo- heard butterfly world, japenese gardes and miami zoo were also good along with multiple state parks (we are pacing ourselves)
10) loved taking out a boat on the intercostal/ bay area in miami- very romantic at sunset
11) Southwest is the only airline for children- they allow you to check in all your baggage for free and carseats and pack n plays do not count as checked items
12) priceline is the best way to reserve a rental car and save- avis allows spouse to drive for free, alamo does not
13) free high speed internet

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank alycatmd
St Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My stay was for 4 nights and having seen, but not stayed at this hotel before, thought the inside would have been a bit more upmarket. However, apart for the 2 false fire alarms within minutes of each other and having to vacate the building after walking down 23 floors, the stay was very good. There was limited in-house facilities apart from small snack cafe and pool with a small bar and small gym, but below the hotel is an abundance of eateries, bars and some local shopping. The hotel excels though witht he location being in the heart of the beach area of Fort Lauderdale, with a raod seperating the hotel from the beach and only 30 minutes walk (or short bus ride) to the Galleria Mall

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo