“Great stay- precruise”

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I am a big fan of Hyatt hotels, I think they have great customer service and great prices. We stayed here the night before our cruise and couldn't have picked a better place. Our room was enormous full kitchen and a living room , flat screen TVs in bedroom and living room and a bathroom larger than the one I have at home. It was a good location we could walk to local stores and places to eat. The Hard Rock Casino is just a mile or two down the road, and is a fun place to visit and walk around.

• Stayed: April 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,334)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Since we have been Hyatt Gold Passport members for about 25 years and since Hyatt is usually a good brand of hotel we were expecting a pleasant stay. The room was pretty expensive so we had high expectations. Well, our expectations were most certainly not met. Where do I begin?
We requested a high floor overlooking the pool if possible. When we got there we were assigned to a room on the second floor. We asked if they could possibly put us on a higher floor. The check in clerk, without any checking, said they were booked, that was all they had. Since it was only 7:30 pm and it is basically an airport hotel, you know many people had not checked in yet. I’m sure the clerk could have done something. Well, we had been driving for 3 hours, were tired and didn’t feel like arguing so we went to the room. As soon as we opened the door to the room we were overwhelmed with the smell of a dog. The hotel supposedly doesn’t take pets but the smell was unmistakable. I am allergic to dogs. Before heading back to the front desk I was curious to see the view. I opened the curtains and got a beautiful view of self storage units, industrial smoke stacks and some sort of industrial round containers.
The indifferent clerk that checked us in was occupied with another guest so we went to the other clerk at the front desk. We told him about the smell of dog in the room. He said they don’t allow pets but I told him the room definitely smelled (I didn’t say it but housekeeping most certainly should have noticed the smell when they made up the room). In any event, this clerk was somewhat more helpful. He went to check something in another room and then told us he could put us in the same room on the 4th floor (same great view!). We said, OK fine, hopefully the room won’t smell.
The room seemed like it was half refurbished. Overall, pretty run down and dirty. The toilet seat had pubic hairs on it and the shower also had hair in it. The towels had long black hair on them and one of the towels was hanging in the garbage pail (towels were hanging under the sink and that’s where they put the garbage pail). The soap holder in the shower was completely chipped – the whole top enamel surface was missing. The toilet paper dispenser was very cheap plastic with a metallic coating that was chipping and coming apart. The towel rack in the shower was old, rusty and dirty looking.
One of the lights over the bed was not working. The drinking glasses they had on the shelves under the TV were beyond filth. They had big spots of something, were dusty and streaked with God knows what. There were no top covers on them.
I went to wipe down the leather cocktail table in front of the couch since we were going to have dinner at that table. It was so filthy that I used 1/2 roll of wet paper towels to clean it – the towels kept turning black from the dirt on the table (paper towels provided by us).
And don’t even think about walking around in your bare feet. I put on a freshly laundered pair of slippers when I got here in the evening. By the morning the bottoms were pitch black.
The A/C was very loud. It was also very inconveniently located. We were in a room with two double beds. The A/C was so close to one of the beds that you couldn’t get into bed from that side.
On the morning of checkout we asked for a late checkout. Normally if you are a Gold Passport member they give you at least a 2:00 pm checkout (Years ago they ran a promotion for an 8:00 pm late checkout. They later changed that to 5:00 pm and in the last few years it’s been 2:00 – 3:00 pm.) We were told by the gal at the front desk that it doesn’t matter if we’re Gold Passport members or not. They are booked and we have to get out of the room no later than 1:00 pm so they can clean it. OK, this gal obviously did not graduate at the top of her class from charm school.
Overall, the staff was unhelpful, uncaring and bordering on rude. The condition of the room was about what you get at a bad Super 8 or Motel 6 (I say bad because some Super 8’s and Motel 6’s have been just fine). I checked the Hyatt website a couple of days before we checked in and they were asking $299.00 for this type of room. Although we didn’t pay quite that much we paid enough to expect a clean, fresh room and courteous staff. Based on our experience you won’t get that here. For the price, go elsewhere!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Val V
Reviewed 1 March 2012

There are two Hyatt Places' listed as Ft. Lauderdale Airport. One is "North" & one is "South" and I have stayed in both. "North" is used primarily for pre- & post cruises (I lead small group natural history tours in the area) and is , while "South" is used by vacationers and business travelers. "North" does cost less than "South", but there is a world of difference in what that cost difference will buy you. Both are clean, but "South" is spotless. My room just seemed to be larger and a little classier at "South". "North is a couple of miles from the airport, "South" is less than a mile. It comes down to what you want to pay...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank slobird
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here the night before an early flight. The location was superb, just minutes to the airport but not on the flight path. The room was clean and spacious. Of special note was the TV, a bigger-screen unit than usual with an easily-accessible full set of computer and DVD player inputs built into the wall next to the writing desk. There were also four electric outlets within easy reach of the desk. More hotels should provide those things for business people traveling with lots of gadgets.

The big downside was the air conditioner. It was an indoor unit and was located right next to the bed. It didn't have fine-grained enough fan speed settings such that we could set it to a sweet spot where it'd stay on all the time with low airflow. Instead, it kept coming on full blast and shutting off during the night, disturbing our sleep with the loud fan noise.

Breakfast was slightly below par for a hotel at this price but acceptable for a "grab some food quickly before heading to the airport" stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Their free wifi at this Hyatt is pretty much useless. I have stayed here at least 3 times so far over the past 6 months, and each time it takes me 1 hour to log into my email, let alone do anything else. I pretty much spend my life in hotels, and the wireless internet here is unmatched anywhere else I have been, in terms of super slow turtle speeds that is. I have leeched off of connections at motel 6, DaysInn, etc and if you compare it to this Hyatt it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a not even a car, but maybe a lawn mower. So, if you are planning to accomplish much while inside your room, or your hotel for that matter, stay far far away. Else your only alternative is the Starbucks down the road. It's such a shame that management has not addressed this issue, because it's otherwise a really good place to stay at, with a good convenient location. I wouldn't even mind paying $10/day for the wifi, but for God's sake let me have an internet connection. It's more important than a bed in today's day and age.

Besides the fact that their "free" wireless is useless, the AC units are also monsters, and are literally window units that you find in small building 2 star establishments. Thankfully I sleep like a tank, but my girlfriend was not a big fan of those.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here two nights before a cruise and the AC was so loud! First we were surprised it was an actual AC unit as opposed to central air. The noise was so loud that we ended up having to turn it off on the second night, thank goodness it was not that hot outside!

The room was pretty standard, however, a beer bottle was left in the window sill! I have no clue how housekeeping could have missed that. The complimentary breakfast was average, but beware because most guests here are cruisers and the lobby becomes packed beyond belief by 10am on days cruises are departing Port Everglades.

It was in a good area, in walking distance to a shopping complex which had some restaurants and shops. The only saving grace is the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. If you must, one night is fine but I would not pay over $60-$70 for it...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I like this whole Hyatt concept along with the Hyatt House across the street as the rooms and service are modern and spare and the value is quite good yet it has everything you really need. I go to Fla. quite often to visit family and these hotels are convenient and there is a breakfast included, nothing gourmet, but it's comes in handy, along with a small bar/snack area to purchase a glass of wine or salad. There is free wifi, always welcome, and a small but well equipped gym and a small pool. The rooms are very comfortable and modern/spare but if you are looking for something near the airport, cruise terminal, beach, or other reasons, this is a good choice. The beach is a short drive away and this isn't a resort in any manner but I find it very comfortable and good value.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family