Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here August 1st, the night before our cruise The hotel is clean, staff was nice and even offered to give us a tour of the facilities when checking in. Our room was very clean and on the whole quiet except for the noisy guests down the hall that kept slamming their door to the room and the stairway. We had requested a room close to the elevators due to medical reasons and it appeared that request was ignored as we were in the very last room down the hall. We didn't complain however because the hallways are short and the room was only 5 room doors down. I was unhappy though that the door to the stairs which was directly across from the room was slammed repeatedly. That did stop though, at approximately 1030pm, making for a good night's sleep on a very comfortable bed. The a/c is thermostatically controlled but is an under the window unit right next to the bed that makes for a very cold bed on that side so we had to turn the a/c up to make it warmer. Bathrooms are clean but quite small, shower pressure was very good. .
The hotel, when we walked in appeared very "tight", like everything was stuffed into a very small space. As you walk in, the check in/out desk is right in front with a seating area with small tables & chairs on the left. On the right is a cooler with beverages, salads and snacks for sale and next to that is a small grill/bar area with seating for approx 10 people. There is also a small "buffet/kitchen area for the free breakfast which was actually pretty good and refilled quickly. After getting our breakfast, there was nowhere to sit & eat, all seats were taken, even in the overflow room that was large but only had 3, maybe 4 tables (!) so we took the food to the room.
We did use the grill and had soup and burgers the evening of our arrival, which were tasty. My husband went down to pick it up though and it was not in carry out containers but on dinner plates which he had to carry up to the room! No tray provided. They were aware that we were taking it to the room as we asked when placing the order if they would deliver (they do not) or if we had to pick it up. I couldn't believe it when he walked in, crazy!
I can't speak of the shuttle service since we had our car.
The hotel basically was very clean, rooms were quiet and large and we enjoyed our stay. The lobby though, definitely needs more space.

3  Thank sharpasice
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Greetings Sharpasice! Thank you for your specific review on the Hyatt Place 17th Street Ft. Lauderdale. Our hotel appreciates the feedback - my apologies for not having your food order prepared in the to go containers. We do offer those in our hotel and will address this with our staff. As for the space for breakfast, etc, we are working on ways to create more space in the lobby and in meeting rooms for those at breakfast. We thank you for staying with us an again sharing your comments with us all.

All the best,

Audra

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my first time staying at a Hyatt Place as I booked this for one night prior to leaving for a cruise. I called to get picked up from the airport and I waited less than 5 minutes. I can't remember my driver's name but he was super nice and helped me with my bags as I have a broken wrist. Upon entering the hotel, it was clean, nice, and the staff was really nice. I believe the person who checked me in name was Kellie. I was a little early getting in around 2:30 but she had a room available and let me check in. She too helped bring my bags to the elevator as she gave me a tour of the property. When I got in my room, I was extremely happy with it's cleanliness and appearance. I have no complaints about the room. The bathroom is a little small but it was just me so it wasn't a big deal. For breakfast I did go downstairs but just to grab coffee, juice, and a muffin. I can't speak on the quality of food but quite a few people were eating so I can only guess it was good. I forgot a few things and the front desk woman was very helpful in getting me some of those items. Upon check I did see i was charged more money than I was told I would be. I went downstairs to question that and was told it was for incidentals. While I know hotels have those she did not tell me the cost of them. I was asked if I had a car prior to checking in which I told her no. However, I was still charged for parking. The money was returned to my card I think a day or two later, but these things should be told when checking in that you'll be charged this. Overall it was a good stay, close to the port, and only cost $7 to be transported there. I'd stay again.

4  Thank ram2xround
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Greetings ramxxround!

Thank you for your detailed response. My sincere apologies for the charges that you received. This is not something of the norm for our hotel. We are consistenly training our associates on our systems and policies and thank you for your understanding. I am thrilled to hear that Kettelie and our staff provided service so memorable- Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street thrives on delivering and providing excellence. We hope to see you again in the near future, and we thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I found this hotel to be similar to other Hyatt Places I have stayed. Well-maintained. A good free breakfast and free wi-fi. Rooms with a separation between the bed and a sitting area with a couch/ottoman and tv that can be viewed from either side of the room. There was an outdoor pool but it was nothing special. There were several restaurants and stores within walking distance. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Brian S
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Greetings Brian S!

Thank you for your kind review and time in writing. We are thrilled that you like our amenities with being breakfast and wi-fil, also the great location that is within walking distance to many in the area. We do hope that we will see you again in the near future and have the opportunity to deliver excellence for a competitive price.

All the best,
Audra

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was there for 3 days, August 1,2 3 for a 3 days church convention .The place is very nice , staff was very pleasant, free variety of breakfast. There is no doubt , I will use it again. Thanks again Leonie D .

2  Thank Leonie D

Greetings Leonie D!

Thank you for the kind review and time in writing. We here at the Hyatt Place strive to deliver excellence. We are thrilled you enjoyed the breakfast and stellar staff and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hyatt Place is consistent across the country - for better or for worse. This place is like any other HP. It has a good outdoor pool and fitness center, good free wifi and business center. Nice breakfast w/variety. Walk to Outback, supermarket and many good restaurants in all price ranges. Walk to beach shuttle and bus to beach. Airport shuttle. Charge for parking was unexpected - but reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Todd H

Greetings Todd H!!!

Thank you for your kind review and detailed highlights of our location and the fact that we are within walking distance to many. Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street strives on having a great product and location with excellent service. We do hope to see you again in the near future regardless of any type of travel.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We got in Sat for a cruise leaving Sun. The rooms are very nice for the price and the hotel is near a strip mall where you can get some groceries. The free breakfast was also good. Free shuttle from airport also. We've cruised from Fort Lauderdale before and this is our second time staying at this hotel. The staff was also very nice. Very ice pre-cruise hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank depazed

Greetings depazed!
Thank you for your kind reveiw. We certainly do appreciate your comments about your stay at our hotel in regards to the location, breakfast, and staff. We do strive to deliver excellence and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Enjoyed my pre-cruise stay and the fact we could leave our vehicle parked here while on our cruise was a plus! Breakfast was great and a nice bar for drinks in evening. The Kiosk for check-in made it very convenient.

Room Tip: Very comfortable room with a good corner sofa in the separate living area. Great shuttle to cruise p...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank BARB T

Greetings Barb T!!!

Thank you for the great review. We surely do strive to deliver excellence here at the Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street. We do hope that you will stay with us again regardless of your travel here in Ft. Lauderdale. Thank you again, Audra