“Wow---we saw a Manatee”
Review of Manatee Park

Manatee Park
Ranked #8 of 119 things to do in Fort Myers
More attraction details
Owner description: Look for the West Indian manatee.
Reviewed 8 November 2013

On our first visit here we actually saw a female Manatee with two young. This was a delight to watch. The Park is really good, not very large but with pleasant walkways and an information centre. The parking only costs one dollar per hour. Good location to take kids as there are lots of shaded seating for picnics etc. We met a guide who was very helpful and gave us lots of information. Even saw a croc!!! Well worth a visit if in the area. I'm told January is a great time to see lots of Manatee as they come up seeking the warm waters here.

1  Thank 205peterp205

Reviewed 24 October 2013

we have twins which are 20 months and love to walk around, this is a great place to take small kids. They have clean toilets and also two play areas, one for bigger kids and one for smaller. The picnic tables have shade. The park is small so no long trails and smooth paths.

Good place to spend a few hours or stop for lunch.

We went in Mid October and did not see any manatee's but the park was nice to walk around

1  Thank ROSSB1
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This place does not get the credit it deserves! In December the electric company I guess pumps warm water in the Orange River, which causes the manatees from the Gulf to swim up river to this area. This area of the river becomes PACKED with hundreds of manatees! I mean hundreds! We did not realize what we were getting into when we went and decided to rent a kayak. We though we might see one manatee. We saw probably 50 manatees up close, my husband actually pet one that surfaced right by out kayak. It is quite scary because I felt like they were going to surface too close to the kayak and tip us. It was surreal, because you are just in a wild river, not some preserve. We saw tons of HUGE snakes that stretch themselves a foot above the water and move them selves vertically across the river (and supposedly there poisonous). Then the trip became even more amazing when we came to close to an alligator sunning on the shore, too close for comfort, but a time I'll never forget. For someone not from FL, my husband found it crazy that you could simply rent a kayak and be this close to nature, in its natural habitat, not in a zoo or preserve where there is someone to protect you. It was real, we could have been tipped by manatees or bit by snakes, or eaten by an alligator.....we though that was very cool and surreal!

2  Thank orangeelephant87
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Didn't get to see any manatee's b/c of the time of a year & the weather I guess. Kids had fun walking the trails they learned things from the displays they had around the park.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My girlfriend and I visited mid summer, which we knew wasn't the best time to see manatees. The information center, however, had informative displays that explained much about the manatee, how their migrations work, and other interesting information about these gentle giants. We spoke at length to one of the docents at the park and she was more than knowledgeable about the park, why they migrate here, and when the best times of the year are to see them. Being mid-October now the manatees will be making their way back soon, and we can't wait to visit the park again and gaze like school children at those remarkable ambassadors of the rivers....