“Dissapointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2013

A couple friends of ours raved a about Yabo. In addition the local food critic in town mentioned Yabo, as one of his top five meals of the 2012, so we decided to give it a try.
We had an 8pm reservation and were seated pretty promptly by a very unfriendly hostess, who also forgot to put silverware and napkins at out table. It took at least 13 minutes for anyone to get to our table once we were seated. Our waiter seemed compitent just too busy and rushed. We got the gnocchi to start which was quite good. Shortly after the starter arrived, they finally brought us silverware and napkins. As we were eating our appetizer the waiter asked us if we were ready to order(I did find the timing of the whole meal quite odd). We ordered and waited probably 40-45 minutes for our food to arrive. The waiter did mention to us about 30 minutes in that we were behind a couple large parties.
Now for the dinner. Simply not good. My wife had the Rigatoni Bolognese. The sauce was good, but the rigatoni tasted packaged. I ordered the center cut pork chop. I ate less than a third. It was dry, bland, and to be honest one of the worst pieces of pork I have had out in quite some time. Maybe we were there on an off night(Saturday should not be so off). The wine list is good. Won't be returning.

2  Thank Akeemthedream78

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Sat at the bar. Attentive, friendly service from very nice Australian bartender. Ordered house white wine, gnocchi appetizer w/bolognese sauce and Gorgonzola salad. Wine was great but appetizer failed with what tasted like canned sauce. Bland and expensive at $12.00. Salad was delicious and enough for two. Atmosphere was not upscale even though it was trying to be. Menu was confused and way overpriced. Filet mignon' for $42???? Are you kidding me? It costs much less to eat in Beverly Hills or Malibu. But, this is Summerlin Road in Fort Myers! They need to reconfigure the menu, pricing and kitchen preparation. They need to get it together before off season or they will not survive...overpriced, unimpressive menu.

3  Thank parisflygirl
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Have enjoyed the musical guests and the fun atmosphere. Food advice-you better be a lover of garlic...and lots of it. Your meal will start off with a hunk of warm, crunchy bread and a good size glob of roasted garlic and olive oil. Salads and dinners are large enough to share. The red sauce is a perfect combo of sweet and savory. The eggplant parmesan is now my favorite (it seems to have the least amount of garlic....which after awhile seems to be all I can taste with the other dishes). Desserts are provided by Norman Love (whose pastry chef just won a national award). Chocolate is the only way to get rid of the garlic overload-and I highly recommend it. I like the dark atmosphere of the restaurant and the hip/rock& roll wait staff. The collection of rock posters, etc. make it work as a dinner/music theatre. Patrons can be a bit contrived and "wanna be hipsters"-but that's part of the fun and ambiance. Vampires obviously not allowed.

1  Thank heronp
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have been to Yabo many times when I visit Ft Myers. The first few times I met friends for drinks and appetizers. It is a great place to hang out with friends and enjoy cocktails. The gnocchi with gorgonzola cream sauce is amazing. The best item on the menu. I have always had a fun experience when I went for drinks.

Everyone kept raving about the food so I had high expectations. I expected the food to be great since the gnocchi was so good. My family made reservations for 8pm for a party of six. We showed up 5 minutes early and gave the hostess our name. The hostess was less than friendly and told us we would be seated closer to our reservation time. We ended up being seated at 8:30pm. A lot of the items on the menu were sold out including the gnocchi. The food was just average. All the dishes were heavy handed with garlic and I like garlic. Some of our dishes seemed as if the garlic was burnt leaving a bitter after taste.

We were disappointed with the food and the hospitality. However, our waiter was very attentive and knew the menu very well.

Also, it is expensive. We wouldn't have minded the price if the food was amazing, but it was just ok. Some of the dishes were actually not good. I may go back eventually, but I am not in a hurry. I may give them another chance in case they just had an off night.

1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Our first visit to this restaurant was a bit disappointing. When we arrived a couple of indifferent hostesses showed us to a table. When we asked if there was music that night, one of them replied, "I don't know. I just got here" and walked away. Our server was very pleasant and efficient, but my husband and I both felt the food was overpriced for what we got. We both had pasta dishes which were ok, but not great. The hit of the night was a Norman Love dessert of chocolate-covered tiramisu. As with all Norman Love items, it tasted fantastic and was quite expensive at $10.00. It turned out there was music, which started about 7:30. Our table was far enough from it not to be overwhelmed by it, but I did wonder about the couple seated at a table directly in front of the speaker. In the end, a bill of $90 with drinks and tip seemed excessive for what we got.