“Perfect base for exploring Fort Myers/ Sanibel area”

Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Fort Myers
“Perfect base for exploring Fort Myers/ Sanibel area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This is a good value hotel for longer stays. The staff were great. The room was spacious and the facilities are good. Free laundry facilities is a bonus. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to Sanibel.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank WILLIAM S
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear William S,

Thank you for the great review of our property! We are truly glad to hear that you enjoyed our location to the beaches and Sanibel and that you enjoyed our free laundry facilities! We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in the Fort Myers area!

Team Candlewood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked this hotel for my supers for a Wal-Mart remodel this hotel was a great place for them to stay for over three months the staff was great the hotel was very clean,large rooms close to a grocery store for them.It was so great as a Sr.Director my visits to Florida to check on the store I stayed at the hotel myself.I want to thank Lynn and the whole staff for taking care of myself and the workers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
TeamCandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Kermit,

Thank you for your kind words! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed Candlewoods "home away from home" atmosphere! We look forward to accommodating you and your colleagues again when you are back in our area for work or leisure!

Team candlewood
Bielefeld, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed in the candlewood for 3 nights andf had a very good stay. The rooms are large and have a kitchenette with all you need for small meals. Restaurants and grocery stores are within a 10 minute range. You can rent dvd and watch them in your room for free. Washer and dryer are also free of charge. It is a 15 minute drive to sanibel or ft. myers beach. The hotel is even good for a vacation for 1 or 2 weeks. But you do need a car!

Room Tip: Room with lakeview
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vtm R
TeamCandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear VTM R,

Thank you for your review of our property!

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed all of the Candlewood amenities that we offer here! The location also is great for beaches and the islands! We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in the Fort Myers area!

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I will be adding pictures for this review in the future, waiting for a camera cable. If you want a CLEAN place, go somewhere else. If you want a place were the employees walk around with their uniform shirts untucked and looking messy and never saying hello, stains on the walls, stains on the cushions, baseboards full of mildew in the bathroom, then this is your place!! I have never stayed in such a place before and never will stay at a Candlewood Suites ever again. I should have checked out, but we were there with a group of people. The pictures that I am going to post are true blue pictures of our room. I even wiped some stains off of the door myself with a wet washcloth. The room also had a very strong mildew smell to it.

I had an issue and had to call the hotel, I called at 3:55 told the front desk why I was calling. I was put on hold for a few minutes then they hung up on me. I called right back and was told I had to call back the next day between the hours of 9-4. I informed the front desk that I did in fact call back before 4 and that I was left on hold and then hung up on. They insisted that EVERY single person from housekeeping was already gone, even though it was just a couple minutes past 4. The attitude that I received from the front desk staff was beyond anything I have ever experienced in a hotel.

They are truly a low class operation, at least at this location. People that leave reviews that this place is clean, must have a vision problem, sorry, but I see no other way you could possibly leave a review about this place being clean. Even the hallways have stains on the walls, they just take a paint brush and cover them up, all of them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peggy P
TeamCandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Peggy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response for our property. First let me apologize for the issues that you have experienced when you were with us. I assure you that this is not the norm for our property. We value your feedback, as all guest feedback is very valuable because it shows us what our strength and weaknesses are and shows us our areas for improvement. The stains that are visible throughout the property are never usually there. We just had an unfortunate incident with another guest who set the fire alarms and sprinklers off throughout the building which cause damage to a large part of our property. We are working as fast as we can to rectify this with a water and fire disaster recovery firm. Although the incident was out of our control we still apologize for the service shortcomings you experienced. It has been a hectic few weeks trying to restore our property. I would like to make this right with you and show you that our property is usually at top performance. The next time you wish to come to the area please contact the hotel and we will gladly assist you with new reservations and make sure that you receive the outstanding service we know you deserve. Again our apologies, and we hope that you will come and give us another try to exceed your expectations.

Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

i've been staying in this hotel for 3 years for my summer vacation , but last 2 years this hotel has gotten worst each visit. the initial room we were given had not been cleaned and then i came back to reception to ask for a new room , the guy, who was working in the reception , was very unhappy that i'm disturbing him. After 4 days of staying here, hotel was on fire- everywhere water leaking from the sealing, no power,etc... next day after coming back to our room from the beach, i found in the room 2 ventilators working it was so loud. I went to the reception to ask for how long these things will stay in our room, and same guy with very unhappy face told me that they suppose to stay in our room overnight and then told us that this is not his problem , this is insurance company bussines!!!!!!!!!But biggest suprise was then i came home and found on my credit card bill, that hotel charged my credit card double for this stay!!!!!(with billing i was having same problem last year too!!!!) Sorry, but this will be my last stay in this hotel :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
TeamCandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Rasa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at our hotel location. We are very sorry to hear about the several service shortcomings that you had experienced while with us. I believe i did speak to you this morning about the charges on your credit card and like i told you i am personally going to rectify that situation for you. We do apologize for the circumstance that arose with our sprinkler system activating, but it was an unforeseen emergency that we unfortunately did not have any control over. We do value your patronage and we know there are many choices for hotels when on vacation here in Fort Myers, but we would like the chance to once again exceed your expectations on your next trip to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and i will gladly assist you on your next booking in the Fort Myers area and we will ensure that your next stay here is a perfect one.

Thank you again.

Front Desk Manager
Suwanee, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family booked a room at this property for the night of July 4th as a stop over while returning home from a beach vacation. The initial room we were given had not been cleaned.....beds not made, food on tables, etc..... Heard two other guests checking in bring back keys for the same reason. The second room we were given had an extremely strong fish smell. With no more 2 bed rooms available they gave us 2 rooms, each with one bed. So my wife stayed in a single room with my daughter and I stayed with my son in another room across the hall. When we went to ask for an extra pillow, I was told they were out and they gave me a pillowcase filled with wadded up sheets. I booked this hotel because of the 4.5 rating it had on tripadvisor, so I have to assume that this was just a really bad day for these guys....maybe all the staff went on strike or were out celebrating the fourth. Nevertheless, I'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SuwaneeTown
Dear Suwanee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the information in regards to your hotel stay at our Candlewood Suites in Fort Myers. We love to hear all feedback from our guests,as feedback is always helping us improve our service to our guests, and are very sorry to hear that you did not receive the stay that we feel every guest should experience when they are here with us. We always try to get our service right, but from time to time a service shortcoming can occur, and we will definitely take your service critiques to heart, and hope you will give us a try on a future stay. We do apologize for the situations that arised during your stay with us. We had an unforeseen emergency that caused several of our hotel sprinkler systems to activate. Please contact me personally at the hotel and I will ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations with us here at the Candlewood Suites Fort Myers- Sanibel.

Again thank you for your review,

Dillon M.
Front Desk Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I've been staying here for 5 years and it has gotten worse each visit. This will be my last stay.

The ice machine in the fridge never works. Different items are missing from the kitchen. The comforters are gross.

I have never seen a property and it's service decline so much.

They never even came to my room when asked.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank NormanMMiller
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write this review, though I was sorry to read that you had issues with your stay. As you can read from past reviews, we at Team Candlewood take great pride in our service and property. After looking into these problems during your stay, I did learn that you reported the problems at check-out. On hindsight, I wish we had the opportunity to fix these issues during your stay with us. I apologize once again, and hope you can give us another try on your next visit to Fort Myers. Please contact me directly and I will take very good care of you!

Dan Berben GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Myers - Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers Beach / Sanibel Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers ...
#11 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,007 reviews
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Myers Airport / FGCU
Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!