“Worst motel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Econo Lodge North

Econo Lodge North
Ranked #52 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I booked this via hotwire for $82 and it was listed as a 2 star - not close. I've booked many 2 star hotels via hotwire and this was at most a 1/2 star. Normally the rating matches the hotel but not here.

All they had were smoking rooms, even though I requested non-smoking. The room reeked of smoke and sweat and everything thing - bed sheets, pillows, etc. were permeated with this smell. Carpet was dirty, bath area wasn't very clean and the tub had cigarette burns. Didn't have many options because we arrived at 10pm and had to leave by 6:30am and it was pre-paid. So we stayed and hopefully don't have bed bugs.

It was advertised "free breakfast." All they had were a few old bagels, muffins and OJ (in a pitcher made from frozen pkg). Avoid this dirt trap!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Matt W

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I went to check in and waited while the clerk spoke to the customer in front of me. He explained to that customer the only room he had available was a single king bed smoking room for $89. The customer declined and left. I then stepped up to the clerk and presented my print out from my internet booking for $49 which I had paid for in a credit card in my name. Unfortunately my wife made the booking for me. The clerk explained the reservation could not be honored because the reservation said Laurie doe, and she was not present and I was Chris doe even though it was already paid for and I presented the same credit card. He offered to refund my money and I could be on my way. Much to the clerks disgust I called choice hotels customer service and had them change the name on the reservation over the phone. Beware of these rip off thieves!!!!!!!! Hotel was cheap and dirty

Room Tip: avoid the hotel at all cost
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank cj m
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This motel is terrible, the worst experience ever. I booked the room online for my husband, they charge my credit card for $46 and on next day on my credit card statement it shows extra charge for $75. I called the motel and rude and disrespectful lady was sreaming that this is preautorization charge, they are going to return it maybe tomorrow, or after the weekend. Excuse me? I said why you charge my credit card without my knowledge, I did not even have any e-mails regarding the charge, there was nothing about it. Unbelivable, I made so many reservations online and never experienced anything like this. Ohhhh and breakfast is prepacked little muffin, nice. Don't stay there!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Gosia75
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My experience on the end of my getaway ruined my trip!! We should checked out by rules at 11am, front desk called us while packing at 11.05 am and informed us that if we do not leave in next 5 minutes they will charge us an extra night. WooW never experience this in my life!!! I came to front desk return my room key at 11.10 am , front desk manager act like he is doing me a favor and by the phone he is canceling charge for extra night, that way they pushed us out really badly, while my girlfriend were finishing packing , housekeeping went into room and started cleaning while we were still in room trying to finish packing and get out, one of the ladies from housekeeping started to shout that we stole 1 towel and they will charge us an extra 10 dollars!! I had to started to saying something back already, why i would take with me that kind of towel what they are offering in this kind of hotels class... I told them that if i get an extra charge for either one extra night or a towel i will dispute charge. In the main time front desk manager started to record all this on his i phone,, really not nice situation after vacation... Final result was of course regular charge, BUT IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY IN THIS HOTEL I RECOMMEND TO YOU CHECKED OUT HALF AN OUR BEFORE 11AM TO DO NOT EXPERIENCE THIS SCENARIO. Roman from Miami Beach

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Roman B
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Econo lodge does what it says on the tin. The only good thing about the name is that it reduces ones expectations. The rooms were a bit smelly but relatively clean. However I got an earful from the lady at reception when asking for her to clean the room. The internet connection was better in the Days in motel next door then it was at the econo lodge.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank tony_cummins56543
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Room basic and clean, no signs of bed bugs in Rm 115. 2 towels for room with 4 persons. Toilet clogged and did not flush well. So called continental breakfast: fake OJ and white bread/bagel for toast. Extra cot was $10 and slow to come.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Finndance
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I made the mistake of not reading the reviews before booking. I was staying at the Best Western down the road, which has a nice river view, and large rooms. Decided to use my reward points for a night at the EconoLodge. Upon a closer inspection, some the of room doors had dent damage, and general appearance of property indicated security problems. The highway is close and noisy. Transients roaming the area. Wooded area behind seems to be a hobo jungle. What the heck, I didn't want to waste the reward points so I entered the office. Overwhelming smell of curry. The swarthy individual behind the desk was condescendingly rude, and I did and about face. Spent the night at the Best Western. Lesson learned - always consult Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Inge12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Myers
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
Red Roof Inn Fort Myers
#39 of 59 in Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfront
Best Western Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers
Comfort Inn Fort Myers
Comfort Inn Fort Myers
#40 of 59 in Fort Myers
Best Western Fort Myers Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Fort Myers
Holiday Inn Fort Myers - Downtown Area

Been to Econo Lodge North? Share your experiences!