“Not up to usual Marriott standards”

SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport
Ranked #22 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
IL
“Not up to usual Marriott standards”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Used Marriott reward points to stay 2 nights and experienced very poor customer service during entire stay. Advance reservation requested lower floor and asked for QUIET room assignment at check-in. Millie said my assigned room was on the first floor next to the small meeting room that was rarely used. She did NOT mention that the ice machine is in the hall right across from the room door, and the rear pool/spa and exterior parking lot entrance was right outside the window. This was steps off the lobby/breakfast area, and a group of college students were meeting in the lobby into the evening, and the breakfast traffic noise began at 6am. Millie called after check-in to inquire if the room was ok, but we were still getting luggage from the car and it went to voice mail. So had to learn the voice mail system to get rid of the flashing red light while unpacking.

Management should work harder to assure a guest that wants a QUIET room location actually gets it…if indeed they have any. The loud plastic rolling trash cart pushed down the hall at 11pm, and using a hall vacuum cleaner at 10pm would tend to indicate management does not give a damm about the guest comfort since those tasks could be preformed in the afternoon when guests are gone.

The first floor room itself had a very tall 10 or 12 foot ceiling with wood trim at the 8 foot level, and the wall above it painted white like the ceiling to reflect a lot of light. The suite is actually 1 room with the bathroom on the side to serve as a partial room divider. The desk is on the partial wall opposite the bathroom to attempt to give the feeling of a two-room suite. Small frig and even smaller microwave in the cabinet against the bathroom wall help create the feeling of a suite. The single HDTV set has to pivot to face the sofa, or turned into the bed area for viewing.

Breakfast has lots of items both hot and cold. Scrambled eggs depleted and not replaced. The 2% milk was in pitchers rather than individual cartons, and ran out and was not replaced. Breakfast ends at 9am weekdays and 10am weekends, and the room was packed without any empty tables during my visit.

Perhaps the worst customer experience was that my room was NOT SERVICED my second day. Had to go to front desk and request fresh towel sets, and there was no apology or excuse from the male person on duty. We left the hotel at noon and staff were having lunch in the breakfast area when we left, so they had a lot of help available. Did not return until 5pm, but housekeeping could not service all 16 rooms on the first floor in that time? Or perhaps because we were staying on points, we were selected for no-service. We had the Do-Not-Disturb hanger up in the morning while at breakfast and getting ready for the day, and perhaps this hotel is one of those where housekeeping makes a single pass down the hall and never comes back to complete the job for those rooms they skipped.

The hotel swiped my credit card (not a debit card) and placed a $40 hold on it at check-in, even though I was staying on reward points. There was no express checkout bill delivered overnight under the door, but I requested and received a zero balance receipt at checkout so I hope they release the $40 encumberance promptly.

Room Tip: Staff have never stayed there so have no idea what a QUIET room is.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Margarita L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your stay at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Fort Myers Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel we apologyze that you did not find your stay the enjoyable experience that it should have been. My apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. I will have a conversation with my staff to make them aware of your feed back. I can assure you that this is not normal and something we can correct. Additionally we do have rooms away from the ice machine and not facing the pool should you choose to give us nother opportunity. Again I wish we had the opportunity to correct the problems you noted, the satisfaction of our guests is of ultimate concern to myself and our Springhill Suites team.

Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Auburn
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our week stay here. All of those that work the front desk are extremely friendly. They have a nice pool, exercise room and a place to do your laundry. The rooms are very nice and clean. We totally enjoyed the king suite we were in! We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scrappy4u
Margarita L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I was very happy to hear that our entire staff made your stay more enjoyable and they took such good care of you. I will definitely make sure the staff is aware. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel was nice and updated throughout. Our suite had two beds, a desk, chairs, and a sofa. The sofa may have been a sleeper, but I didn't bother checking. Free wifi and breakfast, including hot items such as biscuits and gravy, and a waffle maker. I would highly suggest asking for an odd numbered room at the time of your reservation. Odd rooms are on the front side of the hotel, even rooms are on the back. There is a restaurant/bar off of the backside of the hotel and it got pretty loud on the Saturday night we stayed. Even with our fan on we could hear the loud crowd. I ended up asking the desk clerk to switch rooms, which she did with no problem at all.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Margarita L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback and it is huge motivator for our staff anytime we get great feedback on the hotel. This is the first time I hear that the restaurant in the back was a bit loud. I will talk to the Manager to make sure this dosen't happen again. Please stop by and see us again.
Colchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed here overnight Jan. 25th while visiting in the area. This is an older hotel that appears updated as the carpets and bedding were clean and brightly colored. The furniture and bathrooms were in excellent shape. The free continental breakfast included all the usual bagel, toast, cereal and pastries, but it also had scrambled eggs, sausage and a waffle station. Overall, a great place, but I gave it a four/five rating as it did not have an in room safe which is something I prefer. They did have free safety deposit boxes in the lobby but I find this an inconvenience.

This is definitely a place I would stay at again if ever in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I was very happy to hear you liked all of our ameneties we have to offerd. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Only stayed here for one night and it was ok. The front desk staff weren't overly friendly but just ok. The rooms had a funky lay out but was comfortable and relaxing. The breakfast selection was amazing and offered quite a bit more than I was use to. The breakfast attendants were quick and responsive and super nice.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Kevin W
Margarita L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I am so happy that you enjoyed your breakfast here at the Springhill Suites, Fort Myers FL. It is something we strive for with every visit! Your comments regarding the staff is something I will look in to because here at the Sprinhill Suites we always have great costumer service feed back. Thank you!!!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Our 6am flight was cancelled due to weather in Chicago so we decided to book this room for the day until the next flight later that afternoon. I was really impressed with the service and conveniences of this room. It's basic, but it's clean and rooms have a nice separate seating area with a mini fridge and microwave. There's a gas station and a sports bar/grill restaurant just across the drive which is nice. The fitness center is small but does the trick and the complimentary breakfast is very, very good. Customer service and hotel shuttle were outstanding. Thanks Keisha, Carmen and Ivan! Only 10 min or so from airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Spinto74
Thank you so much for taking the time to inform others of the great time you spent with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with my staff. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 13 January 2014

With an early morning (6:40 a.m.) flight, we wanted a place close to the RSW Airport and chose the SpringHill Suites property. The property sits off the main road and its view is partially obstructed by a restaurant and filling station.
Great property and staff. New and clean.
When we registered a reservation was made for the first shuttle of the next day which was 5:00 a.m.
Travel time for us to the airport was only about 15 minutes.
Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the restaurant might be a bit quieter, but noise is NOT an issue.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeffrey S
Margarita L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Myers Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly try to do the best we can to make all our guests stays a great one. I hope that when you are visiting our area again, you will keep us in mind.

Thank you again for your positive comments.