“No excuse for deceitfulness and indifference, esp by the GM”

Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75
Ranked #36 of 59 Hotels in Fort Myers
New Hampshire
“No excuse for deceitfulness and indifference, esp by the GM”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We arrived for a one night stay after midnight last Friday night, and the first thing that occurred was that when we arrived at the desk to check in, no one responded to our arrival (even though I could clearly hear someone was typing on keyboard behind a half-wall). When I politely inquired if "anyone was home", he sheepishly stood up and said "I was hiding", as if I would be amused having to summon a staff person to check us in at that hour. We were finally given the keys to our room, which we had reserved a couple weeks ago, and was supposed to be a one-bedrm suite, for my wife and I, and our teen-aged son and daughter. It should have had a queen bed for us, a sleeper sofa for my daugher, and a rollaway for my son. What we found when we opened the door was a double bed and nothing else. The manager at the desk acted like he was unaware that this room would only sleep two people when I returned to the desk, which obviously would not accommodate the four of us standing in front of him (at 12:30 am, mind you). He offered to get a rollaway for us, which would have allowed three of us to sleep, but where was the fourth person to sleep, on the floor? He held out his arms and said "what would you like me to do" when I returned to the desk (for the third time at this point), to which I responded "you need to give us the room we reserved for four people". He said they had none, and that "all the rooms are the same" (as if he expected me to believe that the reservation we had made for a suite had been fiction). I continued to tell him that if they sold our reserved room, in spite of our reserving and guaranteeing a late arrival AND calling earlier that day to confirm this rsvn, then they needed to figure out comparable accommodations, even if it meant at another property. He was unsympathetic to our plight, (which was completely the hotel's responsibility), until I was so fed up that I started to walk back to retrieve our belongings, and he caught up to me and said "here's the best I can do" as he opened the door to an unoccupied room three doors away from the room we first entered. Unbelievable - we spent 20 minutes arguing with this man (while his newly-hired staff person cowered in the background, because she was so embarrassed how he was treating their "guests"), and all the while he's maintaining the hotel was full, he had this unoccupied double room sitting vacant. It's nearly 1am, there's not a soul around who could possibly have rented this other room (as if he was holding out for another paying customer??), and he held out (until we were so fed up were ready to leave the hotel) only to finally open up this other room. They did comp the second room, and took off part of the cost of the first room, but the incident was so surreal that we all were completely taken aback that someone (who I was told the next morning was the general manager) could outright lie to a guest (esp since we had gone to the trouble to make a reservation) at that hour of the day.......again, unbelievable, especially considering that someone in the position of being the GM would risk offending good-paying customers, after flying half the day to Florida, and arriving after midnight ready to sleep quickly. None of us fell asleep until about 2am, after having to approach the desk AGAIN, to secure sheets for the rollaway bed (wouldn't that be standard practice, to supply bedding with a rollaway?). Apparently, this general manager has never been to the school of "how to win friends and influence people", because his attitude during this whole fiasco was of uninspired indifference. It was actually a good thing this didn't happen to another party of people (who weren't as tired and ready for bed as we were) because I could easily imagine someone getting violently upset over less of an inconsiderate act. It would be a stretch to say that we would ever consider staying at a property managed by an incompetent, deceitful manager such as this one, and anyone considering staying here should be aware of the uncaring attitude displayed by the supposed leader of this staff. All in a days work for him, hopefully, this isn't his typical modus operandi, but I rather doubt he turns on a caring attitude other days. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SOOTY22286
ShawnLibertyG, Public Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
I'm very sorry to hear you were treated the way you were after a very long trip. That is completely unacceptable and I would like to make the situation right. Please contact the hotel and ask for Dillon Maguire. Dillon is now our General Manager and I know he will make the situation right. this is not the same person you spoke to before. If he cannot please feel free to contact me. We would never want any guest treated this way and we would like an opportunity to make the situation better. We appreciate the comments as they only help us to make our hotel better.

Shawn Stan
Regional Operations Manager
239-872-0743

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

After 9 days in Ft. Myers we picked this hotel exclusively for its location near the airport. We had an early morning flight and did not want to drive from Ft. Myers Beach. Although we have stayed at many IHG hotels, this was our first time at a Candlewood Suites. The building was newer construction. Our suite had a kitchenette with dishwasher. The TV was a little small for the room and lower quality (Westinghouse). We had a table with two chairs, but it would have been nice to have a recliner. The hotel had a nice exercise room and a FREE laundry. Unfortunately the laundry was closed during our stay to replace the floor tile. Not sure how that stuff ever wears out. There is no pool or hot tub. Just trying to describe what we saw. We were not disappointed from what we expected when we booked.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dillon M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hi Gspileman,

Than you for the time to write a response. We value you all of our guest opinions as they only can make us better. We apologize for the inconvenience of the laundry room being renovated while you were here at our property. If you are ever in the area again we would love for you to come and stay with us, so that you can enjoy all of our amenities, Please contact me directly and i will be more than happy to set up new accommodations for you here again at our property . Manager@cwfortmyers.com

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

All in all a nice place. Our first room smelled like fried food but new room was comfortable and nice. Staff was helpful and nice. My favorite part was that it was right by the Twins stadium which is what we were there for. Nice area around the hotel decent amount of places to eat but sort of far from attractions

Stayed February 2014
Hi Wonderb0y21,

Thank you for your review!! You are a valued guest of the Candlewood Suites Fort Myers! Please contact me at Sales@CWFortMyers when you travel back to this area so that I can personally assist you!

Cindy Colley
Director of Sales
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We wanted to explore some of the Corkscrew (CREW) nature trails nearby - about half an hour away - and this location was pretty close. The price, if you reserve at least a month in advance was great compared to the other hotels in the Ft Myers/Estero area. We payed less than $100/day. All the other similar hotels like Hampton Inn and Best Westerns were charging at least $170/day and up!
The room/ bathroom seem to have been updated recently and were very pretty clean. The queen size bed was adequate and we had a good night's sleep. You don't get daily maid service. The room also has a kitchenette, perfect for making your own breakfast (breakfast is not complimentary). Our view, however, was the only downer: we had a perfect sunset view of I-75. The wifi was one of the most stable we've ever encountered. There was only one elevator. The lobby area could be a little fresher but at this price you can't ask for more. The hotel also has a basic gym and free laundry machines (although half of them were not working). There are many nearby restaurants, including a Publix, Target, etc......

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from I-75 or facing East unless you enjoy the view of expressways
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foodiemia
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Foodiemia,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel and the room amenities we offer. We would like to apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced that did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here two weeks and everything was great. The only thing missing for our stay was no comfortable sitting in our room. We will stay again next year.
Thank you to staffing and management for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review! You are a valued guest and we are glad you enjoyed your stay!! We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future! Please let me know if I can assist you with future reservations. Manager@cwfortmyers.com

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This "extended stay" hotel is beyond terrible! The staff is extremely rude and unprofessional. There are much better places to stay for the money. This hotel is dirty. The rooms are very small. The pictures are misgiving. The beds are uncomfortable. It is very hard to find someone at the front desk and when you do they are not helpful, The Operations Manager actually yelled at me when I questioned why I was being overcharged. I was overcharged from the rate I was given in writing and it is still not corrected! There are no amenities at all. No dining on premises, no pool, no bar, no nothing but your tiny room with sheets that do not fit and the outdated bed spreads and dirty bathrooms .. And even towels apparently are limited. Will never stay there and would not recommend any one else do either. there are plenty of better choices

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel! There is no restaurant or pool . Parking lot is best room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank char d
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft Myers - I-75, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear char d,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Candlewood Suites Ft Myers I 75, FL. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Spent two months at this hotel when relocating to the area for a new job. This location is superiorly managed by Dillon Maguire. He has a well train staff and accommodates changes and is very responsive to the needs of his guests. During a two month stay, things will happen and even the Waldorf Astoria would get old. The facility was well maintained, clean, safe, and when and if I had an issue, I could count on Dillon or anyone of his staff to quickly correct and inform me of the recourse. If you are staying for any length of time, I would certainly suggest this hotel. I had a suite and it was large enough to keep me sane for the 60 days I was living until I was able to obtain a rental.

Room Tip: ask for the suite if you are there long term. it is worth the $10 add'll rate.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hi Tommy!

Thank you so much for the great review and kind words. We truly appreciate it! We look forward to seeing you again one day should you ever need another "home away from home" !