“Unbelievably Bad”

#1 Island Hideaway
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Unbelievably Bad”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is so terrible it will sound like a fictional story, but its sadly true:

We booked the property through VRBO (a known property rental site) and were promised a week in paradise. It was anything but. They do not show pictures of the location anywhere other than tripadvisor, and we booked it thinking it was another property. The pictures make it appear that it is on the beach, or at least close to one. It is 3 blocks away down a rocky dirt road, then across the busiest road on the island, then down a path.

We booked the location with Rhonda the manager, but she was not there when we arrived like she told us she would be. Instead she sent her husband who was extremely unprofessional, crass, and just plain rude. We arrived in confusion as to why we were where we were standing. The property was shared with 2 other people, one neighbor to the left (its a condo) and then the owners LIVED UPSTAIRS. We were renting out what is equivalent to their basement. My wife broke down bawling because she had booked the location in cash and it was nothing that we had expected. Rhonda's husband Philip (who has nothing to do with the properties, as stated by himself) laughed at my wife and said "are you seriously crying?" She then explained how it was nothing that she had expected it to be, and he began badgering her saying that her reasons for not liking the location were "bull***" because this was his home and he was happy living here. She ran into the other room crying while I spoke with him, and he said we could leave and we could work out a refund. I asked if this could be guaranteed, but he said no because Rhonda was out with her girlfriends and she manages the property. SHE WAS OUT WITH HER GIRLFRIENDS. That's why she couldn't meet up with the people that just rented her property for a week.

We scrambled to find a hotel at 9 PM on a Thursday, which is difficult because they are all almost full. While we waited to find a place and a cab, we looked around the property and took pictures of everything that was wrong. The washer and dryer were completely dismantled and hanging open in the middle of the unit, the drop down ceilings were water stained and sagging, the ceiling fans were shaking and one almost fell on my wife when she went to shut it off, the shower head was puttied on, and the floors looked like someone just scraped tile off of them. Cabinets were also missing doors and the screens on the front were not blocking insects from coming inside. Rhonda called the floors rustic and said they had just remodeled.. She also said the presentation of the ceiling fans were not what was important, and that they were safe.

My wife tried contacting her multiple times, and when she finally got a hold of her, she said she would not be giving a refund because we took her time from her. She left us abandoned in a state we are not from with her husband who we feared was not in control of his emotions.

My wife wrote a review on the site we rented it from and stated everything that I have previously mentioned. Rhonda (the manager) wrote back saying that she is overly emotional and delusional. Rhonda wrote back stating she was there when we arrived, completely lied about her interaction with us (which never happened because she couldn't show up), and threw slander about my wife on VRBO.com. May I repeat, Rhonda has never met my wife nor myself because she failed to show up to the property.

I tried resolving this with her as well one on one. I figured, why not, shes never met me, doesn't know me, and doesn't have opinions about me. I started talking with her and she stated she is not doing the refund solely because my wife wrote a negative review about her property. Very unprofessional, very childish, and unbelievably insane. She contradicts everything she tells us, and then tried to sell me on staying there again as if it were an option. The property is unsafe and disgusting. Mold, insects, and hazards everywhere.

She has been avoiding my wife since we left, I had to pose as a potential renter to speak with her.

Please stay away, there are plenty of nice rental properties in the area as well as fairly priced hotels with amenities for the same price - on the beach - and have the decency to clean before you show up. STAY AWAY.

I will post photos of everything once I speak with my wife who documented everything at the location.

If there was a rating worse than Terrible classified as "WTF" I would choose it in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are good. They are dark and falling apart. You can hear the owner watching TV and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Joe H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I'm writing this article for my sister and mom (they are not TripAdvisor members). I can tell you that the suites that they both selected (I stayed at the other property Beach n Place), were roomy, clean, stylish, and very comfortable. The free beach chairs and umbrellas were a nice addition (and one thing less to worry to bring from Ohio). The property sits in a very quiet and safe neighborhood. My mom went on several walks at dusk after dinner without any worries.

These rooms are very much recommended for small families or two couples. Considering the price (we bought a Groupon) it is very affordable for the size and location of these suites.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EvaNoodles
laval, quebec
Reviewed 12 August 2013

It was our first vacation since the last 2 years and we didn't really know what to look for exactly in a rental in florida. I spoke with Rhonda which is the owner of this amazing house at 165 anchorage street in fort myers beach several times, and she was very helpful. So we were at her place for a whole month and all I can say is: it was a totally ecstatic trip for us. The hospitality and everything was really perfect. Everything is close to the house, and we really enjoyed the pool and the backyard. The beach is at 5 minutes of the place and everything around it is very convenient. Rhonda and Phil are very helpful if you need to know something in their area...
and the best part of it is that we decided to travel with our dogs and they are not quite small...(french mastiff) and the place is pet friendly and the beach too. Most of the beach in florida are not. The place is really clean and if there is a problem or something wrong, they fix it right away,no delay! It was one of the best stay of my life and the sheet in bed are totally amazing! I would totally recommend it and do it again and again.
thank you Rhonda and Phil for your hospitality

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Deltona, Florida, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I went for a work getaway here. The owners, are great - very down to earth, friendly and hospitable. The house was very clean, comfortable, and convenient with all the amenities of home including wifi and cable. The neighborhood is quiet and close to everything with the private beach in walking distance. I had paid a pet fee but didn't take them afterall, at the end of the trip we didn't want to leave and asked to stay another night - after Wanda checking if the room was available, she let us stay another night for the for a wash of the pet fee. Thank you Wanda and Phil, we had a really nice time and we will see you again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We did not need to leave to our hideaway. Just staying there was so peaceful and relaxing...We were there for my sons travel baseball games and this place was so convenient. Also they have great fishing and the pool and spa at the hideaway was outstanding....

• Stayed July 2013
Terrell, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Words just do not justify how amazing this place is. You have all the comforts of home plus the owners have all items needed for a stay at the beach for the renters. If there is something you need, the owners will assist you as quick as possible. Anything you need is within miles of which you can ride the trolley that has a pick up stop near the end of the street. Again, this place is just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donnica V
Mesquite, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We take a girls trip every summer and we usually go to Playa del Carmen, Mexico, but we thought we would try the Island Hideaway in Ft Myers Beach, Fl. WELL we loved it. A beautiful place to stay, the owners Rhonda and Phillip were wonderful and helped us out with everything we needed. The house we rented was beautiful and soo very comfortable. We did not need a thing there but our clothes. There is a trolly that you can ride from one end of the island to the other. and you can buy a 3 day pass for 3.00. this place was greatness. It only takes maybe 3 minutes to get to the great beach, great sugar sand and water was great. One of the perks while you stay is they have all the beach chairs and umbrellas and coolers, just anything you need for the beach they have. You just dont have to worry about anything but getting up. The beds are to die for and the bathrooms are huge. , we got rained out one day, but no problem, lay around on the comfy couches and watch flat screen TV.!! So much fun, and the pool is great to swim in after you get out of the ocean, and we walked alot , so the hot tub was great .!!! We will keep going back every summer now. We would tell anyone to go there and take a visit and stay at Island Hideaway. And Rhonda and Phillip were the best.!!!! oh and the beaches were not crowded at all while we were there, from June 25 through July 3, 2013.

Room Tip: any of them are great, we took a tour of all the houses while we were there and they are all great...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends