“Not what I expected...”

The Lighthouse Resort Inn and Suites
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Let me start by saying, I've stayed at the Lighthouse many times in the past. It's location is what keeps me coming back. Although, not on the beach, its directly across the street and is also in walking distance to Time Square...a true "perk" if you don't want to drive during their busy season.

This hotel is your typical beach hotel. It could use a lot of updating, however, if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room, you won't be disappointed. The rooms and common areas are always neat and clean. You can only get wifi if you are in the pool or office area, the tvs are not flat screen, and the refrigerators don't work that well. We had to put some of our food in the freezer because they kept our food cold but didn't freeze. Again, everything is dated, so be aware...

The one complaint I have on this trip was the front desk person (Brianna). When I arrived at 11:00a.m. I was told check in was at 3:00. It wasn't a big deal we just went across the street to have a relaxing lunch. We came back around 1:30 to inquire about our room, again we were told check-in was at 3:00. We decided to sit at the pool and wait until 3:00. Promptly at 3:00, I went into the office and Brianna told me check-in was at 5:00. I told her that's not what she told me the last two times I came in the office. She shoved a sign in my face that was on their counter and told me the information was located on their website. Now mind you, we had been listening to this girl talk to her husband/boyfriend on the phone. They were having issues and she had to pickup her son and she wasn't happy. When she returned with her son, her dispostion was awful. There was another couple she had upset as well. This young lady should not be front desk help, her attitude was very disappointing. The other staff members were friendly and tried to answer any questions or concerns in a professional manner. Had I not been at the Lighthouse before, this alone would make me not want to come back in the future. As a final note, I could not find anywhere on their website that said check-in was at 5:00..

Room Tip: They have entertainment every night in their bar until about 1:00a.m. I always ask for a room away...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank flipflops1515
There are newer reviews for The Lighthouse Resort Inn and Suites

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We booked this room at the last minute when we left a terrible hotel in St Augustine. We checked in with medium but hopeful expectations - we knew the property was located under the bridge and we knew it wasn't on the the beach. We were pleasantly surprised though with the general good quality of the room. Gail who checked us in was wonderful!

The hotel is interesting and quirky. For instance we were in room 613 on the 3rd floor...odd way of numbering rooms. Also, the hotel spans 2 small blocks and has 2 separate pools. We didn't notice the 2nd pool till the day we checked out since the 2 parts of the hotel are split apart. That 2nd pool has a lovely waterfall feature. It was a pretty little oasis.

We stayed Jan 1 and 2 and had a room overlooking the Tiki bar which meant you could hear the band playing till 10 or 11pm. But if you wanted to go to bed earlier than that, a good pair of earplugs easily drowned out the music.

I'd say the Hotel's location is it's main draw. You can watch the sunset from 3rd floor of the main building. A small table and 2 chairs are provided for sitting outside. You can easily walk to the Pier. You can easily walk to a bunch of Times Square bars and eating places. Our two favorites are on the back bay - that area is so very peaceful and calm. We liked Nervous Nellies and Matanzas Inn with the enjoyable Upper Deck happy hour.

Though I wouldn't rate this place exceptionally high, it's clean, comfortable, good value for $. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: To get a really quiet room, ask not to be in the section where the Tiki Bar is located.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Outside of maybe overlooking the ocean, this is the perfect location. It is walking distance to the public beach and the various restaurants and bars. It is essentially at ground zero for Fort Myers Beach. Also going for it, is the very nice staff. The room itself - a king suite - was also very spacious.

On the downside, there is no wi-fi. I'm so accustomed to it when I travel, that I didn't even think to look into that before making the reservation. I thought some of the furniture was worn and uncomfortable. In particular the loveseat caved in. It had a new flat screen TV, which was very nice. While noise outside doesn't bother me at all, I could hear the music from the bar and I wasn't at the closest rooms.

I was visiting family and spent little time at the hotel - so it worked out very well for my purposes. I would consider going there again if I knew I wasn't going to stay in the room much and wanted a place close to the action.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed here and thought the grounds and location were good but the bed was the worst I've ever slept on which says a lot. The rooms are awful. They should have paid us. Our backs hurt for days. You get what you pay for. This hotel is just there for the tiki bar.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 28 December 2012

You roughly get what you pay for here although the room was not clean when we checked in. I am usually not picky but this was below even my level... Hopefully an exception as other guests seem to think it is ok.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2012

at 116.00 dollars a night for a "Beach Hotel", this was a JOKE and it was Nasty.... when arriving there was first .. No p;pace to park, the parking lot in front of the place was closed off, and i had to park in the street, (no curbs - IN the street), to get to registration, i was told, O... its happy hour but after 7 there will be parking... Really?? , then to the room, this 1960 room (not updates since), i certainly wasn't expecting this, it had a 2 burner stove top that looked like it came out of an antique travel trailer, right down to the dirty ripped albumin foil wrapping the burner dish... WHAT?????, light switches that didn't work, had to turn on the main light with a chain hanging from the fan... early 70"s ho motel furniture, but the ABSOLUTE worse... was the SMELL, the bedroom was so musty, that i opened the windows, turned on the wall furnace to high and left the room, 4 hours later came back to a "minimized smell", tis pace was Nasty... and a waste of maoneyy, and ever worse, the staff had no customer concern, didn't even ask when i was leaving... STAY AWAY and save your self the disgust.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Loved this place, it's so unique, I would like to Thank Gail, for making it poss. for me to stay longer than I needed too. I planned on 3 days, but when I saw the rm. and grounds, I ended up staying 6 . Loc. is Great, there are #2 really nice pools, one turns purple at night. The Tiki bar and restarant is Great. The food is good, They have music almost every night. All I cold say is it is a really cool place. I had a Great time.The beach is right across the st. Ex. location is Great too.

Room Tip: I would think all the rooms are Great to stay in. Did not use fitness Ctr. they might have one,
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo