“Great people and great times!”

DiamondHead Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Bloomington, Illinois
“Great people and great times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I went to Fort Myers Beach in July of 2011 for my birthday, it was an awesome trip not just because of the location but because of the hotel and the people that worked there! The hotel was clean and pretty. The people that worked there were nothing but friendly and helpful! Especially Jeremy Beard, an employee at the hotel, he was very considerate and helpful. He even took extra time out to give us suggestions of what to see and where to go on out trip! The whole trip was probably one of the best vacations I've ever been on!

Room Tip: Ask for room with pool and ocean view!
1 Thank KTB22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We got married at Diamondhead in June of 2009 and spend every anniversary there. They always remember us and do special things for us as well as greet us as if we are their best friends. Diamondhead is like our second home and we just love it there!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but always ask for a free upgrade on the beach. Never hurts to ask and they are...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Himalaya62
Bloomington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Very friendly and Jermey is so helpful and best server so far we have had. Can't wait to go back.

3 Thank florida1955
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed here with a group of 20 other families for a national hockey tournament. This was my 5th time to the Diamondhead. I upgraded to a premium suite so that I would have a cook top and I managed very nicely for a two week stay.

They have added a little entertainment around the pool area and this is a welcome change. Everyone was helpful, and friendly. The general area of FMB is going down a little bit. The beach is clean but many restaurants have closed on this strip since my last visit. It does look like they are trying to revive. It is still a nice area to unwind, and relax amongst friends. Go relax, and have a BLAST

3 Thank Blasthockeymom02
kafue007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here with My wife and a one year old. The rooms were better then we expected, clean and had all the necessities. Crib and high chair were provided (no fee). There is also free parking and no resort fee (unlike some other places).
The room had a fridge, microwave and a cooking top which was very handy. Especially with a baby. The rooms were made up everyday.
The beach is handy, we bought our own chairs and an umbrella across the road and used that. Saw a small stingray swim past, a pair of dolphins and fish jumping from the beach. There is an outfit that offers para sailing, jet skis, tours etc but we didn't partake in any.
Hotel is nicely located close to a Grocery store (Tops and Publix) and the pier and restaurants are a short walk away. For those inclined a Hooters is close by also.
We got approached once by a time share lady but she was very nice and did not bother us again. Overall the staff were all very friendly and helpful (A smile and a hello goes along way).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank kafue007
boston ma (red sox nation)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Wife and I stayed here for 4 nights for our 10 year anniversry. It was our first trip taken without our infant, so we were looking to relax and enjoy some adults only time with each other. We originally booked to stay at Pink Shell, but we cancelled at the last minute do the beach work being done there. We had an oceanfront room on the 3rd floor. We originally were on the top floor (12th), but wife said "its wayyyy too high". The hotel was more than happy to switch us to a lower floor and we were in a room on the 3rd floor within 30 minutes. Great service by the front desk!

We are not the adventurous type, so we didn't do much in terms of tours. Just hung out by the beach and pool, with lots of eating and drinking in between.
Pool: very nice and a welcome retreat from the ocean. Pool is plenty big enough. Waitress service is provided and games like crab races and bingo are offered in the afternoon. The only negative might be that the chairs are so tightly packed togther, you are almost right on top of the people next to you. There was enough sets for everyone however and they DO NOT allow for saving seats, which was great to see.
Beach: beach was beautiful. Someone had left 2 beach chairs and an umbrella by the elevator on the day we arrived, so I took those and used them during our stay instead of paying $25 a day. Worked great. We left them for another guest on the day we left. Water was warm and I thought had very little seaweed. I found the water fairly calm as well, although it was not clear at all like you have in the carribean. We were not surpised by this so no big deal for us. Previous posters noted stingrays or jellyfish, we encountered neither. Great beach for taking walks as well. Recommend going to the pier at Times Square for sunsets, as you have an unobstructed view of sunset there. Parasailing, jetskis, and other similar stuff available to do if thats your thing. Can't comment on those, but they were available.
Room: stayed on oceanfront room, which was great. Was nice having the kitchenette and separate sitting area. Room was very clean. Bed seemed comfortable, but neither my wife or I slept very well (maybe it was the alcohol?!). The showerhead had great pressure, but seemed to be made for a midget. I am 6 ft, and the showerhead came up to my neck, making washing my hair a little akward. First 3 days, our room was made up/cleaned very late in the afternoon...lets say about 4pm. That was fustrating. Then , we relaized that there is a little touchscreen thingy on the table that enabled you to book a time that you want your room serviced. We tried that and put in a time of 10:30 and it was cleaned on time while we were out at breakfast. Wish we discovered that early on!
The only tour we did was a manatee/ dolphin tour that we did through Fish-Tale Marina (about 3 miles down the road). That was great and worth the $23 a piece. It was on a pontoon type boat, not a jetski tour. Captian was funny and informative.
Food: We ate at Chloe's twice for breakfast and it was ok. Not bad, not great. Served its purpose. Had a great waiter from Buffalo 2 times that we enjoyed talking sports with every day. We ate at the Beach Bar Cabanna's for Lunch 3 of 4 days. It was good. Nothing special. We got breakfast one day at a wonderful place called "Heavenly Biscut", which is just about across the street from the resort. That is recommended. For dinner we tried Smoking Oyster Brewery and that was great. Had a delicious and very romantic dinner at Bayfront Bistro. When to Charlies Boat House for another dinner as it came highly recommended by a few folks we talked to. We were disappointed. Didn't see what all the fuss was about. They had a huge salad bar, but so what. Had last dinner at Nervous Nellies that was OK. They had a huge menu with everything you could imagine on it. Wife and I were both super tired and sluggish from being in the sun all day when we went, so maybe we didn't enjoy it as much as we could have. Had a lunch as Doc Fords, which was good.
Area: We didn't venture to Naples (wish we did). We did visit Sanibel/Capitiva which was great. We liked the feel of Sanibel and if we were to visit the area again (especially with our baby), I think thats were we would stay instead of Fort Myers Beach. It just fit our lifestyle better. Definately more laid back. Kind of had a little bit of Cape Cod feel to it. Very cool. Fort Myers Beach definately had a lot going on in terms of things to do. Its a very busy area. If I was in my 20's again...it would be a home run. FMB had singles and families of all demograghics. Sanibel seemed more family focused. Again, we travelled without our infant, so the FMB area suited our needs just fine. We rented a car at the airport and brought our own GPS. You could probably get away with not renting a car if you were going to stay in FMB area. We waited until last minute to book rental car, and got a great deal.
All in all, we had a great trip and would definately recommend the DiamondHead if we visited the area again. More likely, we would give Sanibel Island a try as its more our speed.

Room Tip: use the touchscreen in-room to dictate what time you want your room serviced, otherwise you'll b...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stoner420
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

This hotel is in a good location: it's walking distance to a number of restaurants and the "downtown" shopping area, if you can call it that. It is located right on the beach, and has a nice swimming pool. Another plus is that it is very quiet after sundown, whereas the Lani Kai down the block was loud and had bands playing late at night. Room was sizable and had a kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave as well as dishes, which came in handy. Air Conditioner worked well, and had a balcony that was screened in that overlooked the beach. The room was nice and big, and had a pull out couch. The bedroom was separate from a living area, also a nice touch.

My complaints are as follows. The bed was not comfortable. The linens were SO cheap and scratchy against my skin that I had to sleep with a different blanket. Quite possibly the itchiest sheets and comforter I have ever encountered.

Second, the restaurants are definitely a SKIP. We got breakfast at Chloe's the first day we were there, and it was over $30 dollars for two omlettes and orange juices. The food was bland and the hash browns seemed like they were frozen from a bag. What a rip off! Service was slow.

The Cabana bar was also a let down. The staff was somewhat rude and took forever to take your order. They also grilled you to the 9th degree for an ID. I ordered an alcoholic drink for my husband who was by the pool, and a soda for myself, and they demanded my license, which I went and got, and they questioned my age, though I am 26 and visibly pregnant! When I told them it was for my husband, they grilled me about HIS age, though he is 30, and eventually gave me the drink. This was irritating and unnecessary. If you are young looking- prepare for the firing squad if you want a pina colada!

Another let down: $25 charge for umbrellas and chairs on the beach, from "9 to 5". Who stays at the beach that long? It's kind of ridiculous. The chairs were very old and felt like they could give way at any moment- not so comfortable. Some people brought their own, but they most likely drove there. I flew, and did not have any choice but to purchase the umbrella and chairs to enjoy the beach. FYI, we ended up just going later in the day and taking over people's abandoned umbrellas, since nobody stays at the beach 8 hours!

Lastly, we got some annoying phone calls from the front desk, and also got approached at the beach by a staff member, about a "75 minute presentation about luxury suites" at the hotel, for which they would give us "$100 to spend anywhere in the hotel" (restaurants, spa, room service, ect.). After a little bit of badgering them, they admitted it was to sell time shares (the world's worst investment). I politely said I wasn't interested. They called again, and I told them not interested. They called a third time, and offered $150 instead of $100. This was irritating, as they seemed totally desperate to get people to waste over an hour of vacation listening to a sales pitch.

Overall, you pay for the location and I enjoyed my stay there despite some admitted downsides. I have traveled quite a bit so perhaps my expectations were too high. For those who are used to finer accommodations, beware, but for a few days it was not so bad. It's not a luxury resort, in fact its best described as a budget hotel on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a gulf view room- can see the shoreline from your balcony clearly w/o paying for ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple