“STAY AWAY!!!!!!”

DiamondHead Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Okay...I don't ever like to spread malicious gossip BUT...I stayed here in November for a Wedding and when I came back, I experienced SEVERE bites on my back...After seeing a Dermatologist, suffering from odd bites for 2 months and spending over $900.00 after self/professional exterminating I was lucky enough to find out I had picked up bed bugs. I went through extensive questioning and it was concluded that the Diamond Head was the origin of my "bug problem". I had no visitors in my house, and this was the only place I had travelled to in eight months. I have emailed the company but have not received any reply. STAY AWAY. And traveller tip for bed bugs: Keep your luggage off the floor and inspect the edges/sides of the mattress. Pull off all covers and pay special attention to between the box spring and mattress. They like to hide in nooks and crannies of the bed/bed frame. I have never bothered with this before, but the HORRIFIC experience has made me more aware. I will never travel again without doing these precautionary steps. An un-made bed is NOTHING compared to the process of having one's home treated for bed bugs.

• Stayed: November 2009
5  Thank RoadTripGirl
NeilH45, General Manager at DiamondHead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2010

It is regretful that this guest had a previous experience with an episode of this nature. When the guest contacted us we took this matter very seriously. We closed the room off to future guests while Truly Nolen did a thorough inspection. We have documentation from Truly Nolen stating that no bugs of any kind were found in the room in which they stayed....or any of our rooms. There can be a number of causes for this guests bites/marks and I caution readers to not jump to conclusions based solely upon the review. For example, all of Florida’s beaches naturally have tiny sand fleas (also called no-see-ums) that affect people differently. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and guest experience, and our repeat clientele can substantiate these standards. We sincerely hope this guest will return to stay with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for DiamondHead Beach Resort

Reviewed 13 January 2010

For the price, this was a fine hotel. We got a room with a partial view of the ocean which was nice. There was really nothing wrong with the place. I would most likley not come back just because of the price and would look for something cheaper as we only slept in our room. The beach next the hotel was nice but smelled like sewage a little...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vikusik
Reviewed 5 January 2010

For a bit more money- stay elsewhere. Very dated hotel. Should be more like a two star. Noisy, crowded, fairly rough area. Nothing redeeming about this facility for family.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Roadrunner55
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Read all the reviews: some helpful, some not. 1st time felt compelled to write a review. Mixed reactions: room not exactly as pictured (no granite countertops, no flatscreen tv's: those are for PREMIUM rooms...which I signed up for...but only on floors 4 and 7) Room was spacious, did get high room (8th floor) as requested, asked for corner room away from pool to decrease possible noise but was told that rooms assigned night before and by special request. (?) Did get other corner room which ended being fine. Hotel is NOISY because of cement construction. Noisy upstairs neighbor...hardwood furniture noise on tile flooring translates right thru floor. Also, voices echo down hallways since no carpeting.
Not unhappy...spacious rooms, great location just down a bit from "adult spring break-like atmosphere" (further the better for me), friendly staff, secure parking for free, clean facilities, ....just not quite as nice as I was led to believe. (slightly misled about room, poor quality toaster, coffee maker, bare minimum # of dishes, computer in room didn't work and couldn't be fixed, etc.) Nothing really BAD, but...
Lots of families...it was Christmas week...just wish they wouldn't let their kids scream on the beach so early so I could keep sliding door open to enjoy sound of waves!
Overall, deserving of its 3 star rating...but don't be fooled by the pics. (I should know better, but granite and such was confirmed when I called before booking...)

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthonytraveller
Reviewed 29 December 2009

This place is just great! We were offered two rooms, and the staff let us check them both out. They were both amazing! The rooms are so nice! The balconies are HUGE with lounge chairs and a regular patio table with chairs. Nice beach access and nice pool. They have this great thing in the rooms called "ICE". It is a computer (touch screen) with built in amenities such as concierge, reservations, things to do, and more. We even won a souvenir beach towel when we were there which was nice!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank familytourists
Reviewed 29 December 2009

The hotel is really relaxing and the location is perfect! Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean and was pretty spacious. It was the perfect choice for our much-needed getaway!The staff was very friendly as well. My favorite part was the fact that I could request room service on the touchscreen that is provided in the room. The menu was there and it was really easy and convenient to use. The touchscreen also had lots of information about the area on it, too, which was pretty helpful. Overall, it was a great stay and I would stay at DiamondHead again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2009

The staff is courteous and eager to please, but entirely unhelpful when it came to fulfilling even the most basic requests. I asked the concierge to recommend a good restaurant, and she told me to eat in the hotel's dining room (the food there is inedible by the way...even the fruit...and its Florida!). I asked the bellman, at the referral of the concierge, to tell me of any places in the area that served cappuccino (the hotel does not) and he told me, "If you are looking for gourmet coffee you could try the bagel shop down road but I doubt they have it." There is no concept of service, and if you make what the staff considers "special requests," they are not only unhelpful but act as if you are spoiled. There are NO amenities. No minibar, no toothbrush, no pen, no anything.......just an empty hole of a room with mediocre cleanliness. The only people who should go here are families during the summer, who rented a car and are not interested in anything other than swimming. They should also be prepared to shop for all their needs themselves at the local supermarket, no matter how small. I should also note that there is a new spa that the staff boasts of, but its not even attached to the hotel and you need to rent a car to drive there (taxis are only used to go to the airport). In conclusion, spend an extra 500 dollars on an infinitely better and more beautiful hotel on Sanibel Island.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo