“Not happy”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Pierce
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Fort Pierce
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Tried to check in tonight using a coupon from the coupon books you get at the state welcome centers. The girl at the desk said they had rooms but wouldn't honor the coupon as they had less than ten rooms left. I have a La Quinta "valued customer" membership card but apparently that means nothing as they quoted us $149 a night. We passed and went five minutes down the road to a Best Western where we got a really nice room for less than half the La Quinta rate. I sent La Quinta an e-mail saying they could put the membership where the sun doesn't shine and we'll look elsewhere during the rest of our two week stay in Florida. Thanks for nothing.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother.
1  Thank Boone8

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This place didn't seem bad at first, but throughout our four day stay, the little annoyances really started adding up. I guess I will list the positives first-the rooms were relatively clean and a good size. it has a laundry facility for guests-very useful. (Though, please note the dryer is terrible, so if you do more than 3 pieces of laundry, you will probably have to put them through 2 two dollar cycles to get it dry.) The location is pretty good, right near I-95 and convenient to pretty much anything you would need. We booked our room through hotwire, so the price was excellent. Given the price we paid, I probably would have given the hotel three stars. However, the hotel regularly charges well over 100 dollars per night, and is somehow classified as 3 stars. This hotel is 2.5 stars on a good day. The bed was uncomfortable, the internet was wired, our key would randomly stop working, and the staff was disinterested at best and surly at worst. The breakfast was pretty chincy, particularly by Thursday or Friday, when they started running out of items and did not restock. Oh yes, and if you stay there, be prepared to have to walk a good distance to get to your car. This hotel apparently draws a large trucker population. If they parked in the back, I wouldn't mind, but there were several instances where a large truck was blocking 6-12 parking spaces near the front of a not so large lot. Ultimately, it wasn't the worst place I ever stayed, but I would not recommend it. If price is a huge issue for you, you could do worse, but don't go in expecting a 3 star hotel. I would imagine there are several hotels in the area that you can book for a comparable price and have a better experience.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor, you'll be able to access the lobby wifi and won't have to worry abo...
1  Thank Bethany G
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were on the 3rd floor in a standard room and it was clean with very comfortable beds and nice linens. The bathroom was roomy with the standard amenities, and the towels were plush and clean. Our room had a fridge (no freezer compartment) & micro, but like everyone else has said, the WiFi was extremely limited- you had to sit directly in front of the check-in desk to get reception! Even in their business room, there was no WiFi. The pool was outside (unheated) and although pretty, the water was too cold to swim in. There was no whirlpool like many other Laquinta's we've stayed at. The fitness room was limited to a few cardio machines. Breakfast was very good- cold cereals, scramble eggs, waffles, fruit, etc. and served 6 - 9. The time is way too early for people like us on vacation, and obviously is intended to primarily serve the business travelers. We appreciated that there was only one entrance to the hotel, but several exits, to provide security. If you stay here, visit the Fort Pierce Farmer's Market on Saturday 8 - 12 on the waterfront. Very Nice. Also, if you are a dog lover, check out Walton Rock's Dog Beach on Hutchinson Island. The 20 mile drive is well worth it.

A La Quinta traveler
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the outside, lobby and halls, this hotel looks great. Once you get by the front desk (which is ok unless it is smoke break time and then you have to go searching for a front desk person)things go downhill quickly. We booked two rooms. Once in the rooms, there are doggie dodo spots on the carpet, the heater didn't work, the internet was locked up and didn't work and in the other room, the toilet didn't work. After we found the front desk person, we were told that maintenance was gone and would be back on Monday (This was late Friday night). Also there were no other rooms available nor would they adjust the room rate. As far as the doggie doo was concerned, they completely ignored that problem (after all, they are a pet friendly hotel). I noticed the other guests would let their dogs do their thing and just walk away. The breakfast was typical prepared food stuffs that were lukewarm if and when they weren't empty/completely out of the item. The breakfast area had 15 chairs (chairs not tables) for the entire hotel. In my opinion, this La Quinta has a serious management (or lack thereof) problem and could have some training in guest relations. All the hotels in the area were booked this weekend but I would now suggest you might be better off driving down the freeway a little farther.

Room Tip: Your best bet is to try other hotels in the area or go further down the freeway. If you stay there...
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I booked two rooms for this hotel online and got a pretty fair nightly rate. This hotel is not listed on bookings.com so go directly to the La Quinta website to make a reservation. I did not know what to expect, although most of the previous reviews were complimentary so that is why I took the chance.

To begin with, the hotel is off the main busy highway roads and set back in a very quiet area. That is a plus as many of the hotels for travelers on I-95 are directly on the main exit road. The hotel is within walking distance to the Cracker Barrel, which is a great place for breakfast. The hotel also serves a free breakfast between the hours of 6-9am. Would have been nice if the hours were a little later but we didn't eat here anyways.

The check-in was fast with no issues. The main lobby was clean, nicely decorated and gave the appearance of a well-maintained and safe hotel. Our room was on the 5th floor, which is the top floor and had a nice size refrigerator and microwave. We had two double beds and a large bathroom. The beds were comfortable, very clean and no sign of bed bugs. Does that sound strange. Well, I travel a lot and always check now because I stayed at a Super 8 in the past where I got bites all over my arms and neck. It is not pleasant to get these bites and have to go to the dermatologist.

Anyways, our room was great and my son's room was even nicer. I reserved he and his wife a king size bed and sleeper and it was like a small suite. The same price as mine but much more roomier.

When we checked in, the place seemed deserted. But in the evening the parking lot was filled to the max and full of semi's. The problem with the truckers is that they park and take over much of the close parking. We still had a parking place but not sure why that was allowed.

Overall, this is a very nice place-quiet, clean and comfortable. If you can get a good rate, you have it made in the Ft Pierce area. Ok, now this is the part of the review where I was somewhat upset. Let me first say that I had no problem with WIFI to address the other reviews left about the internet. I have an ipad and got on the internet right away and never lost the connection.

But as my husband and I were leaving the room to check out, we got in the elevator to go to the lobby. We press the floor button and nothing happened. It did not move and we could not get the door open. There is some sort of a call button inside but it did not seem to work. There was no way to notify the front desk. I was able to call my son on his cellphone to alert him. Sometime later, the lights went out in the elevator and we heard the desk clerk on the other side of the door, trying to open the door. She had not idea what she was doing so she said would call the Fire Dept. Yes, well to me, that should have been her first move made to get us out. Within 10 minutes the FD arrived and it took some time to open the door. After about 40 minutes, they got the door open and we were out. The FD was great but the hotel staff was so-so. The FD asked us if we were ok but the hotel staff was very nonchalant about the whole ordeal. This is me but I thought it would have been accommodating and apologetic if they had offered us some sort of compensation or discount.- especially when I found from the FD that another family got locked in the elevator the previous week. This was a repeat call for them.

What can I say except this whole ordeal put a damper on my opinion of the hotel. As far as elevator safety is concerned, they should get it together. The place is clean and accommodating but they should address this issues immediately.

Room Tip: Stay on first floor and reserve a room with a king size bed
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I generally like La Quinta Inns. I'll start by saying that I slept well last night, the bed was comfortable, the TV looked good, the AC worked well and it was quiet. The hotel is set back from the road so it doesn't have road noise, a big plus for me. Breakfast was the usual array of pre-prepared egg somethings, hardboiled eggs, french toast sticks, make-your-own waffles, cereals, breads, etc. Even the bananas were good.

Now, there were some annoying things to report. When we checked in we asked for a top floor room. No problem, they gave us a 5th floor corner room. We opened the door and looked at each other in shock. We were overwhelmed by the smell of cat spray, a scent I cannot abide.

I went straight to the front desk and asked for another room. They offered to have housekeeping come up and clean the room but knowing it is nearly impossible to get rid of cat urine smell, I said I wanted a different room. One young lady working the desk said it couldn't be pet odor because they don't allow pets. I have had cats all my life and I know the smell of cat spray very well.

She also said they were all booked up and there were no other rooms available. This was strange since there were only about 5 cars in the parking lot at that time. If 95% of the guest haven't arrived yet, why can't you give me another room? Maybe someone else won't be offended by the smell of cat spray. Another lady working the desk easily switched us and the second room smelled fine. Why did the other lady resist changing us so much?

When we came back from dinner later that evening there was a woman in the lobby with two dogs talking to the front desk before she proceeded up to her room with the dogs. I thought they said no pets! Hummm…

When it was daylight my wife said to look at the comforter on my bed, which had a rather unusual stain on it. Wonder what that was! Also, in the shower the built-in tile soap holder had been broken in such a way as to expose an edge that could easily cut someone. There was also an ugly, fairly large dark stain on the carpet in the room, as well as some in the hallways.

When my wife went to use the microwave to heat up some coffee she found that even though plugged in, it didn't work.

I was also surprised to find that wi-fi, though free, was only wired. My modern Macbook Pro doesn't have an ethernet port, nor does my iPad, so those couldn't be used. Luckily I also had an older Macbook Pro that had the ethernet port and it worked fine. Come on now, even Motel 6 has wireless wi-fi access. Get with it.

This is also a "non-smoking" hotel but another guest told us the first room they were given smelled of smoke. It took three rooms to make them satisfied.

This morning some people are getting stuck in the elevator!

I did like the work desk as it provided lots of AC for charging devices.

All in all I give the Fort Pierce La Quinta a C, partly for the attitude of one of the front desk ladies, and for the condition of the room.

Room Tip: If your room smells bad, don't be shy about asking for another room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business