“Was mislead during my reservation”

Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I made a reservation with the Hampton Inn reservation line. I specifically told the agent the type of room I was looking for. I stated that I was traveling with 6 people- 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 teenagers. I told the agent that I wanted a suite with a separate bed room. The agent booked my reservation for the Easter weekend and stated that she had only one more room left to accommodate me so I hurried and booked it. I thought a room rate of 220.00 was a good deal for a one room suite for a holiday weekend. When I arrived at the hotel the front desk clerk was very friendly and the check-in process went smoothly. I was so happy and excited until I opened the door to my room. There I see a room with 2 beds and a pull out couch with no separate bedroom. I was mortified. Imagine being in a room with no privacy with 4 kids. I immediately called the front desk and was told that they do not have suites at the Hampton Inn, just regular old rooms. I told the front desk clerk that I was told I would be in a suite and was never informed of this. He replied that you are in a suite, a JR suite... Again I was so upset!!! He had the manager to call me back, now at this point I was so mad that my head was pounding but I remained calm and not at all rude. This is one of the reasons for not wanting to go back- I felt like I was lied to twice. The manager said that she is very sorry for my inconvenience and would reduce my rate to the standard room rate. She said your rate is 249.00 and the standard rate is 199.00. My room rate was not 249.00 it was 220.00 and the front desk clerk had already told me earlier that the standard room rate was 169.00. So you see, this hotel tells nothing but lies. She wanted me to feel like she was giving me this huge discount when in fact, she only reduced my rate by 20 bucks... WOW. Now I’m not the type that wants something for nothing but please do not lie to me. I didn't either bother letting her know that my rate is only 220.00 and the standard rate was told to me earlier to be 169.00. I just was like whatever because I did not want to spoil the rest of my trip getting into a confrontation. I JUST WANT TO LET EVERY BODY KNOW WHEN DEALING WITH HAMPTON, TO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU WERE PROMISED AND PAID FOR.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I can assure you that our team is held to high standards of integrity and it's never our intention to be anything less than helpful.. However, I understand how frustrated you must have felt not to get your desired room type. Please contact me directly so I can gather more details and help alleviate any concerns as well as appropriately address your comments with our team.

Kind Regards,
Rachel Joyce

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Very nice hotel, not too big. The service from the front desk clerks, the breakfast area, the cleaning people, was all very friendly and efficient. The rooms were large, and very clean, and equipped with a good size mini refrigerator, and microwave. Plus, the hotel was right on the beach. There was plenty of parking.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Sitting_Storm
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We did enjoy our stay at this Hampton. As reward members, we always look at a Hampton first. The rooms in this hotel were very clean, and nicely maintained. It is a very quick walk to the beach, and some restaurants. Each room has a microwave and small fridge. Our room had a nice balcony with a small view of the beach. Check in and check out were fast.

The staff was pleasant, but didn't really go out of their way to help us with requests. After checking in, we went down to the front desk to request an extra pillow. We were told that there were no extra ones. On the way back up to the room, I saw some in the housekeeping room. I asked the housekeeper if we could have one, and she said we had to call the front desk, so we gave up on that. Our first morning there we woke our children up early to go to breakfast. When we got down to the lobby there was NOTHING left. It was 9AM and a sign clearly stated that breakfast was served until 10AM. I went to the front desk, and asked if they were going to replenish the food, and I was told that they were not, because it was over at 10AM. They were not even willing to give my children some cereal. We never attemped to eat breakfast there again, so not sure if this was a one time thing or not. None of the staff was nasty, but just not willing to do anymore than they had to. Even though that ticked me off, I would not hesitate to book a room again.

Room Tip: They have limited rooms that face the beach, so book early if you want one of those.
1  Thank smoochums
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Pool was full of kids and was small, no opportunity for my fiancé and I to enjoy it. Hotel has only 2 floors and is in between two several floor buildings, hard to find. I originally requested a king size bed to enjoy my vacation in with my fiancé and received a two queen bed room that would not be switched to a king. When I brought it to the front desk's attention, they stated the Hilton honors people who were staying there had our room and that they couldn't give me a king bed room even though I reserved my room a month ahead of time. Looks run down. Just a poor stay experience. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Dehnelja84

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate the type of room you reserved and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Although we strive to accommodate our guest with exact reservations, at times we do no thave the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. We further apologize for any disturbance cause by our younger guests and have shared your comments with our security team. We do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality hotel experience you expect and deserve from us.

Rachel Joyce
850-301-0906

Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

This is an older Hampton Inn but nicely updated. The room and grounds were very clean and right on the beach. Great value. One negative, the pool is at the front of the hotel but it is heated which is good since there is no hot tub.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This hotel is close to the Ft Walton Convention Center. You can walk to hall and a number of restaurants in area. People at the hotel are nice and helpful.

I recommend the bar Helen Back which about 300 yards away on the water. The High Tide restaurant also walking distance serves a dozen good oysters for $8.95.

The hotel is on the water but has limited ocean view rooms but I got over that. Price was decent and rooms are nice.

This is a great place to stay if you are at the convention center.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the ocean have partial ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Check in was a breeze. Reservation was for 2 standard rooms. Although they were very busy due to Spring Break,and I requested a handicap room after checking in, the front desk was very accomodating, assigning the handicap room as close as possible to the 2nd standard type room.

Room Tip: We needed handicap for my mother, got ground floor room very close to handicap parking, 119, I think...
3  Thank kinkytop