“Not a resort”

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not a resort”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I recently stayed at this property just a few days after they had opened. I only stayed for 2 nights with my 18 yr old son. We were there for a fishing trip so some of what I'm saying is cause of what I know (I travel for a living spending around 250 nights a year in a hotel. I will say I did not pay for our room, I stayed on points).
Upon check in the front desk staff was as nice and great as any staff anywhere, but not well trained, which I expect with a new property.
The kids activity room is small, about the size of an average bedroom. The game room is small, only a few video games and a pinball machine. No pool table or ping pong table as with most "kid friendly" resorts.
Rooms were neat and clean. Housekeeping was great. We didn't have enough towels in our room but upon request we had housekeeping at our door with plenty to last us.
Room service was quick. The person that took our order didn't really know what they were doing (new hotel blues I assume) but our food was good and quick. A tad pricey, but what you would expect for hotel food.
Just from the looks of it, their outdoor pool is non existent. It was just a lazy river. No place for an adult to jump in and hang out. And, most resort hotels have more than one outdoor pool.

No matter what the name says, this is far short of a resort property. At best this is just a really nice Holiday Inn Express. I know personally, I would have been greatly disappointed if I took children over the age of 7 there. And for the prices they charge for their rooms, I would have been truly disappointed. Heck, I'm disappointed in this beach front property and it was free.

I meant to write this 2 weeks ago but I got busy. I am writing this review now cause I am heading back there in a couple of weeks and I will give an update. I really don't want to go back but my wife can't believe it is so non resort like. So, my next review will be based on a few days staying more around the hotel. UGHH

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Patrick K,

Thank you for writing us a review regarding your stay. I am delighted to know that you liked our clean rooms and housekeeping services. However, I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the pool facility. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice, clean and new hotel right on a great beach. It has a pool with a beach type entry and a lazy river. Our 2 year old son loved playing in the sallow water and floating with us around the river and waterfalls. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and were pleased both times. The breakfast buffet was very good and reasonably priced. If in the area again we would stay here for sure.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
ocean springs, ms
Reviewed 23 June 2014

From the time we arrived the front desk staff of Marquetta and LaRayne took care of getting us settled in a quick and efficient way. We had an Ocean view room with a lovely balcony over looking the pool. We arrived on a Thurs. afternoon and the pool was full of families .Fri. morning many of the families checked out so the pool was not as full. We got some tubes and proceeded to float the Lazy river. It was very relaxing. Katie waited on us by the pool and was extremely attentive throughout our entire stay. Each afternoon they had either a mermaid or a pirate show to entertain the kids and at night a movie by the pool. We at the Riptide and found out the chef was previously employed by the Ritz Carlton in Maui. Needless to say the food was very good.All of the staff was very friendly and competent. Can't wait for our next vacation we are going back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family and I spent a week there starting the 3rd day they were open. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly and very helpful. If it's not right...they will fix it. The food was great and housekeeping did a great job. Since it was a new property, there were some glitches to be worked out but thanks to the G.M...they were worked out perfectly. Would go back again.

Room Tip: Gulf view is the best and certainly worth the extra money...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bugs1431
Homer, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked my 4 day vacation at this resort on june 15th-june 19th. From the time I checked in the staff at the front desk was wonderful. The General manager along with the Bartenders were very friendly and the frontdesk manager upgraded me to a ocean front view at no extra cost. The best part about this resort are the beds the room and the pool and activities they have everyday for guest and the kids. I highly recommend this property for anyone looking to get away on a exciting and relaxing adventure in fort walton beach. Top notch staff and property give it a "10" in my book :)

Scott Steagall

Room Tip: Beach side two double beds!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked this hotel at the last minute due to a airplane delay. This hotel was wonderful, it is a new hotel only has been open for 3 weeks. We were welcomed by very friendly people such as LaNette and LaRayne they were awesome they made our check in very quick and very accommodating. The lobby is very well designed in a very open fashion, direct access to the pool area which has a lazy river built in with Mermaids at poolside our daughter thought that was "cool" and then easy access to the beach. There were options to rent a umbrella and chairs and have it charged to the room, very convenient. Also access to the "Boardwalk" which has great restaurants. Would definitely stay here again on the beautiful Emerald Coast!!!!! Also the Riptide Bar and Grill located within the hotel had great food and great service by David!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the gulf side w/ balcony...great view
1 Thank Casey N
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The place has just opened less than a month with our trip, staff are still learning yet they were so, so friendly and accommodating. We, extended family of 7, ate in the restaurants, drank at the bar, and "night ice cream around the pool" several times and NEVER experienced an UN-friendly staff member. There was some questionable daily rate increases that we spoke with the front desk in-charge person, Shay, who fixed things up to our complete satisfaction, quickly and without argument! All of the serving staff were great with a special note to Holly who accommodated us many times and had the same great smile serving breakfast as she did at dinner and "night Ice Cream time". She is not only an awesome staff member but just such a nice person!. There was also a tall, thin, black lady who cleaned general areas outside and inside who was especially accommodating and so friendly to my 82 year old dad. She called him "her favorite guest". I wished I could remember her name, she was so nice. And lastly Keith, the general manager who is seemingly responsible for all the goodness we experienced here. He talked with us personally where we complemented him on his example. The place is so clean, the pools were awesome, rooms well serviced; everything was just great!

Room Tip: Go for the balcony rooms facing the ocean, you're on vacation!
1 Thank 1962travelerK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Destin- ...
#9 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
#4 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West...
#6 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Fort Walton Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Fort Walton Be...
#5 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach? Share your experiences!