“Good for the price”

Emerald Coast Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The hotel was in a great location for beach access. The room was small, but clean and adequate. Bed was comfortable enough. The breakfast, however, was unpalatable! However, the breakfast hostess was very helpful and kind. Overall, I would recommend the place and/or stay here again!

Room Tip: I think that since the parking lot is so small, it might be quieter on a higher floor. We stayed on...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ecis1214, Front Office Manager at Emerald Coast Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Emerald Coast Inn and Suites. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am sorry to hear the breakfast was unpleasant, we try to offer many choices so our guests have at least a few options that are suitable to their taste.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Our stay was awesome! Our check in was quick, our room was clean, smelled fresh, BEDS WERE INCREDIBLE!!! We slept like babies and never wanted to get out of them. We had a fridge and microwave which was very helpful. The bathroom was great, it was clean, shower was nice, and we couldn't find anything wrong!The free BK was delicious, they had OJ, Coffee, cereal, biscuits, sausage, and you could make your own waffles! I will surely stay here again and have already recommended them to other friends. The location was great, the beach is right across the street.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th/top floor. It has a great view, but the elevator can be slow sometimes.
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I really wanted to love this hotel. I have stayed in everything from 5 star resorts to mom/pop type places. I really prefer mom/pop places because I think they really do care about you. I was thinking after changing room 3 times due to a broken air conditioner that I was going to write a scathing review, but after some time, I realized that I just got the bad luck of the draw - although I think this could have been avoided. So here are the pros and cons without the overly dramatic "OMG love this place" reviews you have read below.

PRICE
- Can't beat it. Right across the street from the gulf. Didn't notice any scary people that others have mentioned. This is a "low-rent" place so you get all kinds - if you can deal with that. you'll be fine

LOCATION
- On Okaloosa island across the street from the beach. You could walk across the street to access the gulf from 4 Points Sheraton but there is a ton of traffic. Get in your car for a 3 minute drive to Beasley Park or head down Santa Rosa for some quieter, less crowded beach access

LOBBY
-Newly updated, very nice, clean, with seating for breakfast times and a big fish tank.

ROOMS
- Older rooms that have been updated - newer carpet, newer bedding, black-out curtains, shower inserts, older TV units. Beds are comfortable. Good water pressure, Fridge/Micowave. I have been in 4 rooms - 609 (has a new AC if you want a good working unit) NO smoke smell. 601 - jacuzzi room - no smoke smell, working AC (leaks onto carpet). 606 - supposed to be non-smoking, smelled of smoke. 610 - supposed to be non-smoking, smelled of smoke. To rid of that smoke smell you need to steam clean the rugs and clean out the AC unit. I am highly allergic and smelled the smoke as soon as you walked in. I am sure many of these rooms will be this way so ask to see the room (smell) first before committing

BREAKFAST
-Nice touch, cheap fare - I am surprised by the comments of not having more protein-based foods. This is FREE folks. If you want more than sugary snacks - Waffle House is down the street. I just had coffee and cereal. Kids will love it

POOL
- Nice pool - patio furnture is dated and disgusting - found a squashed dead frog underneath the custions. I am hoping this is an update project before 2013. You can get good quality chairs/tables at Sams Clubs and remove these smelly, molding, outdated chairs from the 70s.

WORKOUT ROOM
- Pretty much non-existent - they have some storage in that room with the equipment. Don't bother

INTERNET - at times slow, not consistent. Talked at length with the owner about this. Seems like Cox isn't helpful in fixing the issues.

ELEVATORS - Slow when hotel is full. Ask for a lower-level room if you don't want to wait. This is a 6 story hotel. I was on the 6th floor, I had to wait. There are 2 luggage carts - you'll be lucky to use 1 if the hotel is full.

STAFF - very friendly group of people - they really want to help you with anything they can. Bobby the owner is friendly as well. House cleaning- saw 2 people working the hotel (generally you need 1 for every floor) so they have a lot of ground to cover. I didn't see any issues, but get the sense they would be help you with whatever you want if you ask.

BOTTOM LINE - if you get the luck of the draw and get a good working room, non-smoke smelling (if you care) then you will probably give this place 5 stars. My recommendation the following:
- check the rooms to make sure all AC units are working before a busy time period like Labor Day weekend.
- commit to make the hotel non-smoking if that's your goal - hire someone to steam clean the rugs and clean out the AC units otherwise make people aware that some rooms may smell like smoke
- Get new pool furniture - stated above
- Get rid of the exercise equipment and make that a business office with more computers and internet access points
- Raise hell with Cox to fix the internet issues - still working on a name for the owner to contact

Would I come here again? Absolutely, now that I know what I am dealing with! Good luck!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank NotGrlNextDoor
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week while on vacation for his birthday. The hotel was clean, the staff was very friendly. We chose this hotel because of the price we're both college students on a budget. The hotel is right across the street from the beach within walking distance. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to save a little money.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 4 years for a bowling tournament. They have recently renovated the rooms and the lobby. The staff is very friendly and if you need anything, all you have to do is ask. A lot of reviews are negative, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. I will not stay anywhere else. Great room for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Renee F
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I was skeptical about the hotel when I booked it because I found the hotel through google earth search. It is not listed on many popular travel sites. But the moment I walked in I was wow by the renovations inside. Everything was updated and the decor was beautiful! It made me feel right at home. They pictures in the website was an old pic before the made all the changes! The rooms were clean and smelled fresh. We almost booked across the street with the ramada for more than twice the cost because I thought my kids would love the pool and sprinklers there. But we were able to drive across the street and was able to tour the ramada just in case we missed something by staying with Emerald Coast inn&suites. We find that besides the surrounding areas and beachfront. The rooms were not comparable to Emerald Coast. My kids were able to play in sprinklers but end up liking the beach better anyways. Breakfast was also a plus. The staff was friendly and helpful! I would definately stay here again! Thanks Emerald Coast Inn & Suites!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My boyfriend and I just recently drove from Houston, Texas to the beautiful Fort Walton. It was raining when we arrived, no big deal. Immediately from the start, the receptionist at the front desk was so nice. After making the reservation in May for this trip in August, I emailed the hotel to specifically ask for a higher floor (I hate being on the bottom floor) with a nice view. After checking in, we had a corner room on the top floor with a great view of the boardwalk! It was fantastic.
I was nervous to book my first trip by myself without a Hilton or Holiday Inn -- because they were so expensive. But seriously, this hotel was legit. I kept reading reviews from this site & other hotel review sites but I was just not totally on board. Yes, they did remodeling etc. etc... The lobby is really nice, huge TV with a nice little lounge area. The fish tank was beautiful, lots of colorful fish! The breakfast was pretty yummy. The little waffle machine was awesome & waffle batter was so good! They had cereal, bagels, sausage, biscuits and gravy... Can't remember if they had fruit but who cares when you have all that other yummy stuff?!
The rooms were pretty big. Ours was king size bed, non-smoking. The room did smell like smoke, but I totally understand the smoke smell is musty & hard to get rid of. Our bathroom was great, really clean and stocked up with plenty of towels and toiletries. We didn't wanna ask the house keeping to come in everyday - just caught up with her in the hall way and asked for cups and ice bucket liners, etc.
The location of the hotel is awesome. It's located on the Okaloosa Island, about 4 miles from Destin, walking distance from a few surf/souvenir shops, gas station & the wonderful Waffle House. We drove into Fort Walton a few times to look through the shops & eat and drove into Destin to eat, shop & ride a dolphin cruise. I didn't have to fill my tank up again and we were there for like 6 days. Also, the boardwalk was so fun. A few restaurants stay open until 4 (they turn into bars after 10 or 11) so we were able to walk along the beach at night. Also close to the fishing pier! It was $2 to walk on it per person, and they have drinks and stuff if you wanna walk around and chill out there. We did that at night, and it was kinda scary but so fun! I loved it. It's literally not even 3 minutes away from the hotel -- in a car.

Sorry for rambling on about the trip, BUT I would seriously recommend this hotel to anyone who is trying to save some money for awesome things to do, great dining experiences, & other expenses. I was able to comfortably extend my reservation a night because the rates are just hard to turn down! Everything was perfect, and I'm so glad I found this hotel. I hope this review is helpful in regards to your trip, but it's great.

Oh, and if you're going on a business meeting that is doing anything at the convention/conference center -- it's literally next door. Save gas money! Anyways - great hospitality & great rates! I will be returning as soon as this semester is done. Don't care if it's cold.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, not near the elevator are quieter. The elevator dings every time it opens.
1  Thank Julia R